Can't boot Yosemite (10.10) in VMware Workstation 10

10 posts in this topic

(I also get practically the same results with 10.9 Mavericks, so I've been using my good 'ole 10.8.3 Mountain Lion VM for a long time.)

With VMware Workstation 10, I simply can't boot Yosemite 10.10. Here's what a verbose boot looks like when booting safe mode:

UoXbeoN.png

And without safe mode:

CWKVDol.png

I also tried adding CPUIDMAX to -v, but it didn't do anything. It just sits there.

I have no idea what to try... Hopefully someone here might know what to do.

Good - the unlocker should work on WKS10/ESXi5/FUS6 but the code has chnaged in the beta products and will need some hard work to make an unlocker for them. Hoever as you have found the speed issue was seen in Fusion 6 (=WKS10) )and was fixed in Fusion 7(=WKS11 du in 1Q2015).

Good - the unlocker should work on WKS10/ESXi5/FUS6 but the code has chnaged in the beta products and will need some hard work to make an unlocker for them. Hoever as you have found the speed issue was seen in Fusion 6 (=WKS10) )and was fixed in Fusion 7(=WKS11 du in 1Q2015).

Ah, I see. Looking forward to Workstation 11, then :).

For a working input try including "USBBusFix=Yes" (without quotes) in with the kernel flags at boot.

That worked, though the cursor was sluggish until I installed VMware Tools (as expected).

The animations (such as dragging a small window around) are very sluggish, probably 5~ FPS. Time to mess with the SVGA driver.

Quick update: I didn't install the SVGA driver, since people claim that it doesn't help with Yosemite's sluggish animations. I installed the Yosemite VMware Tools (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/) with no help. I guess I'll just wait for VMware Workstation 11 as others mentioned.

Latest issue is iMessage not working (error during activation). I can't do the Chameleon NVRAM fix as I can't get VMware to boot Chameleon (in addition to the Chimera version) no matter what, just standard EFI booting. No idea what to do.

EDIT: Turns out the VMX was causing it to not boot Chameleon. Just getting the dreaded "still waiting for root device" error. Once I get past that, I think I'll be good.

EDIT 2: Had to boot with cpus=1. Now, I get stuck at the same place I got stuck at earlier in the boot process (above screenshots). However, that's when booting the VM as a Windows 7 machine. If I set it to being a 10.9 VM, it'll get stuck in an endless "can't find..." loop right after it loads mach_kernel.

No idea what to do now...