[GUIDE] ASRock H97 Pro4 Yosemite with Clover UEFI Installation

rednous

120 posts in this topic

I got the machine running! Everything works fine but I still have to boot via USB-stick. 
In UEFI I can chosse "Clover" as a booting option as long as the USB-stick is attached. How do I manage booting without the stick?
I installed Clover on my SSD and changed the config.plist with CloverConfigurator on the mounted EFI drive, but it didn’t change.

I got the machine running! Everything works fine but I still have to boot via USB-stick. 

In UEFI I can chosse "Clover" as a booting option as long as the USB-stick is attached. How do I manage booting without the stick?

I installed Clover on my SSD and changed the config.plist with CloverConfigurator on the mounted EFI drive, but it didn’t change.

Please read 4. Post Installation of my guide and thoroughly follow the described steps. It's all there how to get rid off booting the Clover USB thumb :)

No I didn’t miss chapter 4 :)
I followed your guide step by step. 
I even tried 4. a second time and now have two "Clover" options in the UEFI boot options. So I think it worked?!
But I still can’t boot without USB thunmb. If I boot without it I land in UEFI BIOS but can’t find/choose "Clover" option anywhere…
Edit: Looks like I have the same problem like Stellavision on the first page except my SHELLX64.efi file is already in root of partition.

But I still can’t boot without USB thunmb. If I boot without it I land in UEFI BIOS but can’t find/choose "Clover" option anywhere…

Edit: Looks like I have the same problem like Stellavision on the first page except my SHELLX64.efi file is already in root of partition.

Hmm... looks like somehow the Clover isn't correctly installed as a boot option item in the BIOS.

Yeah it seems but it’s strange… 
When I mount an EFI with CloverConfigurator it says that disk2, which is the USB thumb, is current boot option. 
When I mount EFI on disk0, which is my Yosemite SSD, I get EFI partition with SHELLX64.efi in root and folder structure like it says in your guide. 
But when I’m in shell console and want to list contents of disk0 (fs0: then ls) it tells me that there is none… It only shows shellx64.efi on fs2:

Yeah it seems but it’s strange… 

When I mount an EFI with CloverConfigurator it says that disk2, which is the USB thumb, is current boot option. 

When I mount EFI on disk0, which is my Yosemite SSD, I get EFI partition with SHELLX64.efi in root and folder structure like it says in your guide. 

But when I’m in shell console and want to list contents of disk0 (fs0: then ls) it tells me that there is none… It only shows shellx64.efi on fs2:

I strongly would advise you to not use CloverConfigurator for mounting EFI partitions — it seems buggy to me. Use Disk Utility for this task — it's fast, easy and flawlessly. I explained earlier in this thread how to mount EFI partitions with Disk Utility.

Now your boot problem seems more clear — Clover isn't installed as a boot item option in the BIOS boot menu. You have to further investigate the structure of your SSD EFI folder and to start over the 4. Post Installation steps and to delete all currently set items in the EFI Shell.

Thanks rednous for an awesome guide.  Very new to the hackintosh scene with zero tech experience (I'm in healthcare) but your instructions were able to get me up and running with my machine!

Specs:

OSX 10.10.2 w/ clover

AsRock H97 Pro4

i7-4790 3.6 GHz

16gb RAM

GT740 Superclocked 2gb

Rosewill wifi

Iogear bluetooth module

Just a couple of issues that have been bugging me.  Was able to install the Realtek ALC892 using the guide you provided but every time I watch a video a delay develops between the audio and the video and gets worse as time goes on.  But, if I stop the video and open a different one, it resets and stays in sync for a while.  Pausing the video doesn't help.  Any suggestions? I'm assuming the problem is mostly me making an error while installing...

Second, how do I find the code to plug into the config.plist file for my particular processor? I'm using your config.plist right now so it currently says i5, but I haven't been able to find one for mine.  Not really a hinderance, but it's just bothering the perfectionist part of me!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I strongly would advise you to not use CloverConfigurator for mounting EFI partitions — it seems buggy to me. Use Disk Utility for this task — it's fast, easy and flawlessly. I explained earlier in this thread how to mount EFI partitions with Disk Utility.

Now your boot problem seems more clear — Clover isn't installed as a boot item option in the BIOS boot menu. You have to further investigate the structure of your SSD EFI folder and to start over the 4. Post Installation steps and to delete all currently set items in the EFI Shell.

I mounted EFI now via Terminal and Disk Utility.

This is how EFI partitions looks like.

These are the partitions in shell console (I checked disk1 to be sure).

And these are my boot options (I deleted all "Clover" options I made and set up a new one). Should I delete option 1 "Mac OS X" aswell?

As long as USB thumb is attached I get this UEFI boot screen. Without USB thumb there is just Mac OS X.

Just a couple of issues that have been bugging me.  Was able to install the Realtek ALC892 using the guide you provided but every time I watch a video a delay develops between the audio and the video and gets worse as time goes on.  But, if I stop the video and open a different one, it resets and stays in sync for a while.  Pausing the video doesn't help.  Any suggestions? I'm assuming the problem is mostly me making an error while installing...

Second, how do I find the code to plug into the config.plist file for my particular processor? I'm using your config.plist right now so it currently says i5, but I haven't been able to find one for mine.  Not really a hinderance, but it's just bothering the perfectionist part of me!

Hi and thank you :)

Hmm this is nasty and strange problem with the audio and video. Guess it's related to the wrong CPU (inherited from mine config.plist). The easier way is to remove the CPU section from your current config.plist (make a backup for future CPU section syntax reference) and reboot the system. Then at the Clover boot GUI use the keyboard arrows to go to the grey icon with the gears and hit Enter. You'll get to the Clover options, scroll down to the CPU section and hit Enter. Clover will automatically detect and fill in your CPU details. You can write them down on a sheet of paper and then fill them in the config.plist CPU section.

I mounted EFI now via Terminal and Disk Utility.

This is how EFI partitions looks like.

These are the partitions in shell console (I checked disk1 to be sure).

And these are my boot options (I deleted all "Clover" options I made and set up a new one). Should I delete option 1 "Mac OS X" aswell?

As long as USB thumb is attached I get this UEFI boot screen. Without USB thumb there is just Mac OS X.

Great.

You EFI partition looks OK.

Yes, you can delete "Mac OS X" and get rid of it (I also had it and deleted it).

I'll advise you to switch off (remove the SATA Power cable) all other disks and the USB thumb, leave just the SSD . Then from the BIOS enter into the UEFI shell and see / adjust/ remove and reset the SSD.

Booting the system with the USB thumb attached only means that somehow due to some reason the installed Clover on your SSD isn't added as a boot option into the BIOS boot menu.

Hey rednous! Great information in this post. I just fried an older gigabyte board and bought this Asrock to replace it. My question is, are there any modifications I will need to make to your post-installation config.plist if I plan on using the iGPU? I see you suggest adding: FIX_INTELGFX_100000 = True (Yes) and Inject_Intel = True (Yes) to the config.plist, but wanted to see if there was anything else. Besides that, all my hardware is virtually the same. Thanks!

My question is, are there any modifications I will need to make to your post-installation config.plist if I plan on using the iGPU? I see you suggest adding: FIX_INTELGFX_100000 = True (Yes) and Inject_Intel = True (Yes) to the config.plist, but wanted to see if there was anything else. Besides that, all my hardware is virtually the same. Thanks!

Hi :) According to what robin051 reported earlier in the thread the answer is yes:

rednous's initial config.plist worked fine for me all the way from installation to booting into OSX. The krik is HD4600 graphics won't work at all and you will only see 7MB of ram allocated to HD4600.

My workaround is to compile a "vanilla" config.plist using the boot flags and fixes as suggested by rednous earlier in this thread. I used Config Configurator to modify my config.plist. The relevant fixes for HD4600 to work is FIX_INTELGFX and Inject_Intel. Now the graphics is working perfectly.

I'll advise you to switch off (remove the SATA Power cable) all other disks and the USB thumb, leave just the SSD . Then from the BIOS enter into the UEFI shell and see / adjust/ remove and reset the SSD.

Booting the system with the USB thumb attached only means that somehow due to some reason the installed Clover on your SSD isn't added as a boot option into the BIOS boot menu.

I just wanted to thank you again! 

I tried it this way (I was looking for the way to enter UEFI Shell via BIOS like for ever ;) ) and it finally worked! 

Edit: Just wondering if there is a possibility to not show the EFI partition everywhere? Since I mounted it with Debug menu of Disk Utility its shown everywhere as a drive (Desktop, Finder sidebar).

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank you again! 

I tried it this way (I was looking for the way to enter UEFI Shell via BIOS like for ever ;) ) and it finally worked! 

Edit: Just wondering if there is a possibility to not show the EFI partition everywhere? Since I mounted it with Debug menu of Disk Utility its shown everywhere as a drive (Desktop, Finder sidebar).

Great news :)

You can safely unmount the EFI partition via Disk Utility and mount it again whenever you need it. Note that when installing a new Clover revision it automatically mounts the EFI at the end of a successful installation, but then you can unmount it with Disk Utility. 

I mount the EFI partition only if I need to change something in the Clover config.plist, and at the rest of the time my EFI partition is unmounted (thus not visible on the Desktop and in the Finder's sidebar).

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back with another problem: 
unfortunately I installed the latest security update (2015-002) today and now NVIDIA’s web driver isn’t compatible anymore. 

Did anyone solve this problem yet or is there a way to restore my system with a Time Machine BackUp?

I already tried hitting cmd + r while booting but I can’t access Restore Utility (don’t know if that’s the correct name since I’m on a German system). 

Edit: Looks like there is no solution yet?! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/page-11

I’m back with another problem: 

unfortunately I installed the latest security update (2015-002) today and now NVIDIA’s web driver isn’t compatible anymore. 

Did anyone solve this problem yet or is there a way to restore my system with a Time Machine BackUp?

I already tried hitting cmd + r while booting but I can’t access Restore Utility (don’t know if that’s the correct name since I’m on a German system). 

Edit: Looks like there is no solution yet?! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/page-11

This is a simple solution that has been reported as a workaround for this nasty issue.

Didn’t work out for me… 
After initial version 02f01 didn’t work anymore I tried 02b04 and 02f02 (installed both with Pacifist but when I was trying to install it again without Pacifist as your guide tells me to do it says that my computer isn’t compatible with the web drivers…). 
I changed the NVDAStartup.kext and tried the kext provided in the other thread but nothing helped.
I hope there will be an new version of the web driver soon! 

Until then I could use the internal graphics of my i7 CPU, right? Do I have to change my config.plist? If so what would I have to change? Boot arguments?

Didn’t work out for me… 

After initial version 02f01 didn’t work anymore I tried 02b04 and 02f02 (installed both with Pacifist but when I was trying to install it again without Pacifist as your guide tells me to do it says that my computer isn’t compatible with the web drivers…). 

I changed the NVDAStartup.kext and tried the kext provided in the other thread but nothing helped.

I hope there will be an new version of the web driver soon! 

Until then I could use the internal graphics of my i7 CPU, right? Do I have to change my config.plist? If so what would I have to change? Boot arguments?

Sorry to hear that :( Honestly I have no good advice for this situation, since I still haven't installed this security update. This morning I saw a newer nVidia web dirver (v343.02.02f03). I guess It might solve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rednous, 

Just a big thank you for this guide. It is just by chance i have the same mobo as you! You saved me the $$$ on getting a equivalent iMac or even Mac pro. 

Specs

MOBO: Asrock H97 pro4

Processor: Intel i5 4670

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB 1600mhz

GFX: Leadtek GT 740 2GB

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

Now i have got the following working.

1) Using your latest config.plist u posted (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14112634/config.plist)

2) Native CPU power management is enabled.

Mar 24 18:23:52 localhost kernel[0]: XCPM: registered
Mar 24 18:23:53 localhost kernel[0]: IOPPF: XCPM mode
Mar 24 18:23:53 localhost kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - Success!

3) AGPM is recognized as Nvidia GT 740

Mar 24 18:23:53 localhost kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0fc8

Problems

1) Frequent kernel panics on shutdown/reboot

Let me explain this a bit.

Most shutdowns/reboot starts with

Userspace teardown took : xxxx ms
Calling reboot(2) with flags

then after waiting for an eternity of say 10-15 seconds.

20% of the time, it shutdowns or restart okay. (I'm not sure whether it is related to this, but i try to close all the programs before reboot or shutdown). When it is okay. It ends with ....

CPU Halted

When it is not okay, it will end at

MACH Reboot 

and kernel panics from there. (below)

kpatshutdown.png

2) An overnight sleep test also ended in hibernation similar to a previous user. (this is non crucial problem.)

Any help and advice is much appreciated. While i don't shutdown my Hackintosh much, it would be nice to have that as an option.  :(

Hi Rednous, 

Just a big thank you for this guide. It is just by chance i have the same mobo as you! You saved me the $$$ on getting a equivalent iMac or even Mac pro. 

3) AGPM is recognized as Nvidia GT 740

Mar 24 18:23:53 localhost kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0fc8

Problems

1) Frequent kernel panics on shutdown/reboot

Let me explain this a bit.

Most shutdowns/reboot starts with

2) An overnight sleep test also ended in hibernation similar to a previous user. (this is non crucial problem.)

Any help and advice is much appreciated. While i don't shutdown my Hackintosh much, it would be nice to have that as an option.  :(

Hi and thank you :)

From what I see in the kernel panic screenshot I think there are two main reasons for the shutdown / reboot panics:

1. Wrong CPU settings in your Clover config.plist (your CPU is different from mine)

2. GTX 740 — I am not sure if you edited the AppleGraphicsPowermanagement kext with the most appropriate settings for your video card.

1. I'll strongly advise you to delete all the settings of the CPU section in you Clover config.plist (leave it blank), save the config.plist, reboot and go to Clover settings / options to see what Clover automatically detected specifically for you CPU (i5-4670), write them down on a sheet of paper, then boot the OS and change the config.plist with you settings.

2. Check again the procedure described earlier in this thread how to get AGPM properly running.

Hope these steps would be of a help :)

Hi Rednous,

Thanks for your advice.

1. My bad. I didn't know there were CPU settings in the config.plist and took yours wholesale. Are you referring to the CPU tuning menu? From what i gather, the only changes seem to be that we have different cpu speed, the rest of the settings seems to be similar.

cputune.png

2. I checked 

grep kernel /var/log/system.log

and according to your post, having 

[AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0fc8

means it's all good right?

I am somewhat seeing lesser kernel panics and it still rears its head once in a while. It now happens about 20-30% of the time. This might also have been my uninstalling of NTFS-3G cos i have a feeling that was causing problems.

Are you referring to the CPU tuning menu? From what i gather, the only changes seem to be that we have different cpu speed, the rest of the settings seems to be similar.

2. I checked 

grep kernel /var/log/system.log

and according to your post, having 

[AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice0fc8

means it's all good right?

I am somewhat seeing lesser kernel panics and it still rears its head once in a while. It now happens about 20-30% of the time. This might also have been my uninstalling of NTFS-3G cos i have a feeling that was causing problems.

Hi :) Yes, Im referring to that menu. CPU speed is different and the I guess also the Latency parameter.

Yep, I checked that Device0fc8 is GTX 740, so this is good, but it depends how did you matched your GTX 740 to the already defined nVidia cards in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (will post a screenshot with details later).

NTFS-3G might a problem, see how to remove it completely and test

Hi Rednous,

Just to close the loop on things. The root cause of the kernel panics on shutdown/reboot is the graphics (GT 740). I switch my smbios to MacPro5,1 to install the newest web drivers and reverted back to iMac14,2. That solved my problem!

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1