• Slackware Linux
    • Knoppix
    • MEPIS Linux
    • Xandros Desktop
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

235 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Tested varios distributions for years now, like ubuntu, suse, opensuse, mandriva, redhat and fedora.

My choise for Desktop Linux is opensuse, my choise for a server linux is a debian based distribution like ubuntu.

There are some screenshots of the actual KDE4 in opensuse on www.kde4.de

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like Arch the best, though I'm seriously considering starting my own (learning as I go, obviously).

The other GNU/Linux distros and free *nixes I like are FreeBSD (stable, almost as quickly updated as Arch, well documented, source-based installation available), Gentoo/Funtoo (Love the customizability, source power, etc... but it feels very fragmented to me of late, with Portage becoming the equivalent of a crippled old man compared to some of the alternatives, the Wiki dying and now sort-of resurrected, many ebuilds out of date, developer rage... don't mean to talk too much, I'm just sad, and wish I would have been this into GNU/Linux when Gentoo was in its prime), Slackware (stable and simple, but very small main repos that aren't even close to Arch update speed and is a little *too* manual), and that's about it...

• 4 weeks later...

As for me, I vote OpenSUSE. I've started using it from ver. 9.3. It is developing to be very user friendly. The currently installed release is quite stable, easy to install and manage. It's hardware support is much more advanced then OSX (kinda joke) :)

Naturally it has some bugs. Eg. interface customization, some rare software installation is tricky thing. Deep down it is good old Linux ruled by the almighty CLI :) One need some background on CLI to make it work in some difficult cases (rare, I must admit).

I far as I know some Wi-Fi devices are better supported in Ubuntu. Also it is much more popular. So much more supported. Finding help is easier.

So for the first ever Linux experience, I would recommend Uduntu (Gnome manager) or Kubuntu (KDE manager).

It's fun, It's exiting :)

Running OSX on a PC is far more exiting :)

I am not new to Linux, but I don't find Ubuntu any easier than openSUSE for newbies, just the opposite.

YaST, one-click installs, boot from DVD and repair your system are all great features which make openSUSE very easy to use.

Besides I have always found openSUSE a lot more stable than Ubuntu.

Otherwise I advice PCLinuxOS, another great distro for everybody.

• 4 months later...

Voted for Ubuntu.

Fedora and Ubuntu, they are highly maintained distros with huge repositories.

OpenSUSE and Mandriva are also good (specially with their custom Control Panels), but as their package management fails people don't prefer to go for it.

OpenSUSE and Mandriva are also good (specially with their custom Control Panels), but as their package management fails people don't prefer to go for it.

Only occasionally, but not much more often than other distros, IMHO.

URPMI, used by Mandriva, is one of the oldest Linux package managers.

Zypper, used by openSUSE, is not that old, but keeps improving very fast.

• 1 month later...

Puppy Linux ain't bad either ..

Been using it since 2005 when it was ugly and just barely functional...I have seen it growing along of the years and i have witnessed the arrival of 215 ..One of the best versions..amazing collections of apps and it was playing encrypted DVD`s and all that straight out of the box..

Now as the time passed it has become even better..Is one of the fastest distros out there and easy to use even by a beginner...

So my vote will go for Puppy Linux

I feel so dirty saying this but... I had to pick Ubuntu in this vote, simply because it was the last distribution I used on my Netbook with the Moblin desktop environment, I wish I could use just the Moblin core but sadly it doesn't support my Celeron M processor inside my Asus EeePC 904HD. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A hassle sure, but i don't think it makes a good desktop distro. It makes a very good pendrive or livecd distro and i almost use it solely as a gparted livecd, but the fact that it supported your card is good.

• 3 weeks later...