• Knoppix
    • MEPIS Linux
    • Xandros Desktop
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

235 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Any Debain based Linux if you're new.

Arch Linux once you know what you're doing and willing to ditch all the bloat in the buntu's etc.

Arch is probably the closest contender to BSD in terms of sheer KISS and performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote for Debian, just because of the DEB packages. Apt get is actually the only stable and fast package management I tried.

I would also recommend openSUSE. That Yast is the best tool I've seen around to configure a system. I just feel guilty using it because of the partnership with Microsoft.

Ubuntu is a clear rip off of Debian, Slackware is for people who got time to mess up with endless configurations, Gentoo is for super fast systems for who got time to compile everithyng.

I've never used Fedora, so no comments on it.

I vote for Debian, just because of the DEB packages. Apt get is actually the only stable and fast package management I tried.

I would also recommend openSUSE. That Yast is the best tool I've seen around to configure a system. I just feel guilty using

• 3 weeks later...

I am yet another debian follower. I have been with linux "for years."

I started with RH back in 6.0, then migrated to Slackware. I liked slackware, but was not knowlegable enough at the time to customize it like I have become accustommed to. Then, like many "others", I slid into the Ubuntu-zone. I climbed onboard with the initail version and stayed until Gutsy was sighted on the horizon. I guess it was only natural to proceed to Debian afterwards, the whole .deb thing was professional and sleek, it was nothing to keep a partion for "testing" (Lenny) and "unstable" (Sid) alive and well on my 120g hd. I still think debian is the {censored}! Then I started on the osx86 thing.......................................... you can see where that has led me. I have a successful and (nearly) fully functioning Jas 10.4.8 osx86 running. Am lacking a working iCal, personally could care less that I don't possess a webcam to use iChat, and nearly complete of my download of Leopard 10.5.1 (Zephyroth).

I, too, am feeling a tinge of guilt, without some reserved space for linux on this hd, however, I have not come across a definitive method of ensuring grub (or the like) is successful in seeing both installs.............if you have a fool proof method of dual-boot linux/osx look me up!

however, I have not come across a definitive method of ensuring grub (or the like) is successful in seeing both installs.............if you have a fool proof method of dual-boot linux/osx look me up!

I use Acronis OS Selector. However it is a proprietary app. But OS X is also proprietary.

Also I prefer to install OS X on a separate HD.

See also:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...85598&st=15 (starting from post #16)

i love grub. open mind for open source. grub is very powerful with all the options...

anyway. i voted für ubuntu because its an "enhanced debian". but the question "what´s the best..." depends on your needs.

i already wrote that in another thread. a cool racing car isn´t worth a dime when you have to transport a piano.

I am no longer feeling guilty.

I now have Debian (testing) running very smoothly on a second drive. Ahhhhh, it is like coming home after almost a week and a half of, shall I say ................. "uncertainty." I must say I am happy having both OSx Tiger and Linux running concurrently.

Cheers

I am no longer feeling guilty.

I now have Debian (testing) running very smoothly on a second drive. Ahhhhh, it is like coming home after almost a week and a half of, shall I say ................. "uncertainty." I must say I am happy having both OSx Tiger and Linux running concurrently.

Cheers

I didn't use Debian at all for a few months, because Etch was beginning to feel old, and Lenny had some showstopper bugs. Now I have Lenny in one of my (many) partitions (on 3 HDs). But the truth is that you can't really use 4 operating systems: I have openSUSE 10.3, Debian Lenny, Windows XP and Leopard. In the end you'll use one the most, another one a bit less, and the others hardly ever.

I started using linux the way many other users have, I got fed up with the Windows- :) and decided that there needed to be a change. Since I'm a highly determined person, I managed to get my first Linux install up and running in no time (I was a n00b at this point, lol) That Linux distribution was none other than Ubuntu Linux 6.04 :D Then it was on to PCLinuxOS, then back to Ubuntu with version 7.04, then to smaller, more lightweight distros such as PuppyLinux and Damn Small, then back to the current version of Ubuntu, 7.10.

Then it was on to bigger things with my first install of OSx86, which i'm still figuring out ;)

If you want my opinion, I think Ubuntu is very nice for what it was put out there to do. PCLinux was also very nice to use. But overall Ubuntu seems like the best bet. Its got many users, a well built community, and support that many other distros don't have. Anyways, that was my :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Linux on and off as a secondary OS since a little before I got my Macbook in August '06. The first distro I tried was DSL (I was on dial up at the time and it was a much faster download) and had it running on a £20 Pentium II 'Craptop', which taught me the basics of swapfiles and partitioning! After that I moved onto OS X Tiger with my Macbook and spent a few months getting aquainted with that, but carried on playing with Linux in Parallels, and tried to get Ubuntu 6.06 running natively on more than one occasion. I would say the first distro to really have Mactel support was Fedora Core 6, and I loved it! Compiz, Xen, software repositories, all of these were things that were unique to *nix. (I know about projects like Fink and Macports, but they dont work as well).

I then tried Ubuntu 7.04 on an external drive on my Macbook, and thought it was an improvement over Fedora in terms of Mactel support out-of-the-box. Over summer I installed a simple SMB server with Mepis, which gets many day uptimes. I have also tried OpenSolaris (love the Sun stuff).

Now I have a 200GB HDD in my Macbook I can afford the extra space for a Linux (and Windows) partition, and I have Ubuntu installed. However, I get the feeling that I am not learning as much as I could be with Ubuntu, and keep swapping my old hard drive in whenever I have time to learn a new distro, current winner is Debian, because apt-get has to be the best package manager ever created! I like their release schedule, and the fact they dont really seem to care about other goings on in the community and just get on with their own thing. Fedora 8 was a dissapointment for me, though that is probably because hardware support is still patchy (it is patchy in Debian, but Debian doesnt break things for no reason).

Long term I can see a point where I will need to decide whether I should use OS X or Linux full-time. Being a computing student hoping to become a systems admin - or some other similair role - my OS of choice is both important and, at the same time, inconsequential. On the one hand, if I am 'fluent' in all things *nix then I should be able to use any of them, but on the other - this is my main OS we are talking about, and I need to be comfortable with it for long term use.

Now, does anyone know how to shrink an LVM partition to make way for FreeBSD and Gentoo?

Man I hate these new distros! They're too user friendly, no problem to fix....

back in my early days, I was just fixing everything by the command line, waiting for the new drivers with impatience, but now...

Everything's done, it's way too boring!

(tht's why I chose OSx86, to have a new challenge to take!) :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...