• Gentoo Linux
    • Slackware Linux
    • Knoppix
    • MEPIS Linux
    • Xandros Desktop
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

235 posts in this topic

Pardus is quite good especially if you want total Turkish language support, it boots quite fast thanks to some clever coding by the Tubitak programmers and it holds your hand for setting up your hardware/software with Tasma and PiSi. Still, come the end of the day, I'd rather go with SuSE for ease of use and availability of precompiled binaries or Fedora for vast online support resources or Debian just because I love it.

• 1 month later...
My vote goes to Gentoo.

By the way, why is FreeBSD on the list? ;)

Agreed, but anything with portage is a good *nix distro, no dependency {censored} to go through.

I really don't see what everyone sees in Ubuntu, it really is no easier than some of the others I have used. For a solid distro that is pretty easy to set up and run, albiet with some dependency issues last time I used these, been mostly on gentoo lately, I would go with either SuSE for its amazing installer, or Fedora for just being an all around pleasant experience to work with.

Gentoo is my favorite, but it is not for the faint of heart. It isn't that it is so hard to install, it just takes forever and you have to know your hardware VERY well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

am glad to see most people on here loves SUSE, and i voted for it also keep note that PCLINUX also is a good distro

I tried out Ubuntu/Kubuntu and thought it was great; however, both did have the tendency to crash both the computers I installed them on (older P3 and Athlon computers respectively). Overall, I think that both distributions are great as alternatives to the established operating systems and are getting better with each update.

I've used every main distro and a lot of other smaller ones. The best by far are gentoo and slackware. I love slackware, but gentoo is the best OS on the planet if you have a fast machine and don't want to make music professionally. If you do want to make music, OSX is the best OS, but if u have a slow machine slackware is amazing.by the way i wish people would stop voting for newbie distros just because they are the only ones theve ever used. get a copy of gentoo lol!

I've been using GNU/Linux for over 2 years now and I've done my fair share of distro hopping. IMHO, all the popular distros are excellent and they all have their problems. I run ArchLinux as my desktop OS because:

a) it's fast - it's i686 optimised (only)

B) it's binary - I loved Gentoo and FreeBSD but got fed up with compile times (this is purely personal)

c) it's a rolling-update distro - there are no '6-month' release cycles so you can upgrade your system to the latest packages with a simple:

# pacman -Syu

The downsides of ArchLinux are:

d) it's yet another package manager (Pacman) to learn - although this is true of most distros eg. Yum vs Syanptic, etc.

e) it's yet another different filesystem tree - again this is true of most distros and is MY BIGGEST BEEF WITH LINUX as a whole.

f) its community, while active, is dwarfed by those of Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. This means sometimes - albeit only twice in my experience - certain 'esoteric' packages are either not available at all (screenlets-0.0.9) or buggy (akamaru/kiba-dock).

I haven't found the perfect distro yet, but I've been running Arch for about 12 months now and it does everything I ask of it (apart from the above two packages, of course). On the whole I'm happy with it and would recommend trying it to anyone with intermediate or above linux skills.

As to my home server, I run OpenBSD. I'm not security expert, but two remote holes in the last 10 years for the default install persuaded me to adopt it.

• 2 weeks later...

I like CentOS, because my university used it, so I'm comfortable working in that enviroment. But since you didn't have that lsited and I didn't feel it deserved an Other vote, I put Ubuntu. Another very good distro. It has the right idea, "Linux for Dummies" mentality. Because in this world, 95% of the people use Windows and use it because it's simple, it comes with the comp, and it takes very little to get working initially.

Xubuntu for the win!

I just can't really convert to use Linux at home, my needs usually require OSX or Windows. Since I chat a lot and Linux is not for chatting even with whatever it has at the moment.

I do use Linux at work, and for work its the best or depends on your work.

Lately what I like is Arch Linux, Sidux, PCLinuxOS, UbuntuStudio...

And I've been looking into e17 window manager it has more eyecandy than gnome + kde put together and its faster than both too ;)

i have 3 favorite distros, and here they are in order

1: Sabayon

2: Dreamlinux

3: Slax

Sabayon is bleeding edge, it is a brilliant live dvd that is quite a bit ahead of ubuntu and its derivitives - it is a great way to test out compiz fusion as its part of the live dvd

Dreamlinux is a brazilian distrobution that is designed to run on older hardware, it has compiz, xf4ce and has an extremely light footprint perfect for that old p3 you have

Slax I use a lot as a rescue cd, as its small, you can copy the os into ram, execute it and then eject the cd, great for burning data from a non bootable windows drive.

I keep coming back to OSX though, stability, ease of installation of software, commercial software support and as you can see from the list above, there is no-where near as much fragmentation. All Linux's have the same problem, way too many distrobutions - i think there is about 267 or so now - and while its freedom of choice, its extremely bad for the end user as the wheel is constantly being reinvented.

The entire community needs to make something everyone can use.

But then you'd just have osx...

Ubuntu!!! It's Linux at it's best!!!

Simple to use.

Easy to find programs.

And if you really get into it. You can also become a full blown Linux nerd, because it is full blown Linux.

• 1 month later...

According to this poll Gentoo is the second most used distribution. No way that is true in real life.

I have seen how a local Linux/computer enthusiasts group has evolved. When I first met them they all used Gentoo. Now, except for one or two, everybody uses Ubuntu. I am trying to introduce them to the delights of openSUSE :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Slackware all the way! I'm currently running it on my desktop, an old Athlon 750MHz, with pretty good performance (though more RAM would definitely help).

I started with ZipSlack 7 or 8 years ago (console only ;-) on a 486 and added X and GIMP to it, then used RedHat 7.1 for several years.

Now I'm home again!

• 2 weeks later...