Linux Distributions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

Poll: Linux Distributions (960 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best and why?

1. Ubuntu Linux (404 votes [42.08%])

Percentage of vote: 42.08%

2. Mandriva Linux (24 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

3. Fedora Core (61 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

4. SUSE LINUX (132 votes [13.75%])

Percentage of vote: 13.75%

5. Debian GNU/Linux (62 votes [6.46%])

Percentage of vote: 6.46%

6. Gentoo Linux (124 votes [12.92%])

Percentage of vote: 12.92%

7. Slackware Linux (43 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

8. Knoppix (5 votes [0.52%])

Percentage of vote: 0.52%

9. MEPIS Linux (6 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. Xandros Desktop (4 votes [0.42%])

Percentage of vote: 0.42%

11. FreeBSD (28 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

12. Other (67 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

Vote

DarkCarnival

DarkCarnival

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Saying a specific linux is the best hands-down would be kind of stupid now wouldn't it ;)

It's like argueing over which sort of clothing you should wear which also is a heavily subjective debate. I think you should just nail down which kind of person you are and then most people would probably be able to name about 3 offerings that may sound like a sure fit ;)

Personal favorites may be:
Slackware
(Definatly the hardest one to use, despite what people may say about Gentoo, this is definatly roll-your-own, but great fun too :) ) --Also this is a very BSD-like system as I understand it, I really enjoyed the simplicity of it.
Gentoo
(Different stages take different amounts of time, with Stage 1 installs being the "I have no life at all" warning. If you can stand a two days install though, it can end up being really fast and flexible, just don't use a slow CPU or harddrive)
Ubuntu
The worlds easiest way of installing, uninstalling and upgrading software (Debians APT) combined with the money of a nutty millionaire and the ease of use to make it user-friendly (My stepdad can use this and he's the kind of person who can't even open a new document once he's inside the word processor!)

antiflag1980

antiflag1980

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've used gentoo on all of my machines for a couple years now and it's the way to go for me, but when I have friends or family that are tired of having me try to fix or reinstall windows for them all the time and are willing to give linux a try, I usually set them up with ubuntu since it's a lot easier to set up for the most part and easier for them to understand how to maintain themselves once set up. It sucks that proprietary things like mp3, divx and dvds don't work out of the box until you run something like easy ubuntu or easy kubuntu or automatix, but if you can get those things working it's okay. I personally think gentoo is actually much easier to maintain as long as the person your installing for is proficient enough to be able to understand things like /etc/portage/package.mask and /etc/portage/package.keywords and revdep-rebuild and stuff when they run into a dependency problem with an emerge -uDva world or something.

-.-

-.-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I vote for ExTiX

I installed (live cd but whith hd installer on it) with the option to keep the Knoppix look that is on the live cd once, and another time I installed it with the debian style. I like both ways so much it is hard do decide which is the best. There was a third option can't remember what it was though.

It has several different destops you choose at login including x and whatever that newest one is I don't recall the name, the same one that is on elive, it's not completed though so you can customize it to your liking and forced to learn it to do that, it has the tutor. The one called rat doesn't work though you will freeze and have to reset.

I give it five stars and I have tried at least about 40 different distros.

Baliw

Baliw

Insanely Insane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
SimplyMepis for me is by far the easiest and best distro ever, imho

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
Meh,

I prefer FreeBSD to Linux. Anyway, it shouldn't even be among the list of linux variants, as FreeBSD is actually UNIX. The nice thing about it is that it also has compatibility options for running things compiled for linux...

-.-

-.-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Meh,

I prefer FreeBSD to Linux. Anyway, it shouldn't even be among the list of linux variants, as FreeBSD is actually UNIX. The nice thing about it is that it also has compatibility options for running things compiled for linux...

I think it is included because you FreeBSD people are like the blacksheep of the family, but we still consider you family. :censored2:

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
well thanks for the friendliness, brother :censored2:

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
gentoo all the way!
gentoo is not only compile from source, it's the most clean distro i've ever seen.
no dirty dependances, no apps installed randomly on the filesystem

and... you're not forced to compile the whole system you can use precompiled packages and have a fully funcional system in 30 minutes

after that you can compile binaries to fit your needs

and last but not the last... you can use the laaaaaaaaaatest version of your favourite software :D

with gentooo you can truly understand the core of linux!

TA_Superman

TA_Superman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I can't swear by Gentoo. I went through the whole damn process of compiling everything from scratch. Took me about 20 something hours. In the end the thing still took almost a minute to boot into pretty plain GDM/Gnome desktop. The apps do start up slightly faster but was the 0.2s that every app gains in speed worth the 20 hours install? I don't think so. It's not really a desktop distribution, more like a server distro. I did learn a few things about linux by going through the whole thing, but in the end it was frustrating spending 20 hours just to uninstall the damn thing because it wasn't as "l337" as people claim it is.

My favorite OS hands down is now SUSE. This is the closest thing to a desktop OS there is out there. Suse 10.0 looks amazing and supports alot of the things most Linux distro's fail to such as integrated WPA management with the wireless config. The package manager is not my favorite but it works.

Suse 10.1 is going to be amazing. I tried out beta3 and the whole look is so impressive even without 3d acceleration it was beatiful. Can't wait till they integrate compiz and xgl. Now the only thing left for desktop linux is multimedia support and of course the "killer apps" that will make you want to switch.

sulfo

sulfo

Reeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
SARGE :D :idea: :D

seero

seero

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
I voted for ubuntu, one of the more stable distributions (the best ?).
I strongly disadvise mandriva :idea:

spacerunner75

spacerunner75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Decide what you wanna use your machine for. In my opinion, a binary distribution (like SUSE - brings all you need and is quite esay to install) works great for all Home / Office / Desktop apps. If you build a server, you already know Linux inside-out and better go for a source based distribution.

I run a production server with gentoo. Its online since 3 years now. Easy to remote admin because of gentoos package system (emerge...). Yeah to be honest, I love gentoo. You can take a look at http://www.gate8.de/daoc/. I must say this Forum is GERMAN only - sorry. But phpBB is a very commonly used Forum Board and browsing a bit there, you get a clue of the speed of the Gentoo server ;).

another good speed example is http://www.tam-recordings.com. Everything looks like plain html, but the entire page is actually generated in real time using a patched mambo (php). For the cracks of you guys: the Frontpage needs ~210 SQL queries (cause of multi-langual/translation support).

-.-

-.-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Has anyone here tried RR-64,which is a Gentoo distro for 64 bit, I installed but have been busy and not played on it much yet, but it looks like a good one and was easy to install. They have a regular 32 bit one i think it just called RR.

Eggman

Eggman

I've got the master plan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Has anyone here tried RR-64,which is a Gentoo distro for 64 bit, I installed but have been busy and not played on it much yet, but it looks like a good one and was easy to install. They have a regular 32 bit one i think it just called RR.

I found a LiveDVD of that and tried to install it with the included installer... Destroyed Windows. :D The only difference between Gentoo RR and regular Gentoo is that comes with built-in drivers for an outdated (the creator implied this) file system called RR.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts

Fedora! Fedora! Fedora!

I'm for Fedora all the way. My first Linux was Red Hat 7 and I've stuck with Red Hat (and now Fedora) ever since. :happymac:

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,309 posts
Kanotix is my favorite. It is so good that is almost boring :offtopic:
I mean, absolutely everything works.

McMuffin

McMuffin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I personally love Slackware, I use it as a desktop and on my server. Very clean, structured distro.

amdprophet

amdprophet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
I think I've used just about every distro now and my favourites are Gentoo, Slackware, and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is great for the average home user. You pop the CD in, go through a very easy install process, and then use Synaptic/apt-get to download/install all of the software you would like. Gentoo is probably my favourite distro because you start from scratch and install only what you need. You can use your own build flags and optimizers so your Gentoo linux install is customized for your systems hardware and software needs. Slackware is another great distrobution. I've used it on many of my servers, and will continue to use it for servers. It's stability is great, and compatibility with many different package types is outstanding.

alicheusz

alicheusz

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

I try this distro it looks that it has awesome installer but on my Intell EMT64 this was little slowly

My favorite is Ubuntu it has easiest package management system.

Look how more painful is installation XGL on gentoo than on Ubuntu

aldimeneira

aldimeneira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
After many distros tested my favorite is SuSE. Now I'm using SuSE Linux 10.0 as main and only native OS (plus VMware Server) in my only computer. It's fine for the wait to get a Mac.

FreeBSD is not a Linux distro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy