Linux Distributions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

Poll: Linux Distributions (960 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best and why?

1. Ubuntu Linux (404 votes [42.08%])

Percentage of vote: 42.08%

2. Mandriva Linux (24 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

3. Fedora Core (61 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

4. SUSE LINUX (132 votes [13.75%])

Percentage of vote: 13.75%

5. Debian GNU/Linux (62 votes [6.46%])

Percentage of vote: 6.46%

6. Gentoo Linux (124 votes [12.92%])

Percentage of vote: 12.92%

7. Slackware Linux (43 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

8. Knoppix (5 votes [0.52%])

Percentage of vote: 0.52%

9. MEPIS Linux (6 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. Xandros Desktop (4 votes [0.42%])

Percentage of vote: 0.42%

11. FreeBSD (28 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

12. Other (67 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

Vote

Eggman

Eggman

I've got the master plan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I'm trying to decide which Linux to put on my Mactel. I'm curious as to which Linux is the best and why. Vote for your favorite and please post why (If you voted "Other," post what it is!). Thanks for your help!

niteice

niteice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
SLACK SLACK SLACK :)

skn

skn

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Fedora! Fedora! Fedora! :)
To be honest, all Linux distros have advantages and disadvantages. The important is to run Linux :)
For further info, take a look at this site:
http://distrowatch.c...?resource=major

Stern

Stern

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Gentoo works best because you compile it yourself. It is the most optimized for your computer, and it's very customizable. If you're not good with unix, though, it's not for you.

jrrjrr

jrrjrr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 289 posts
Fedora Core, because it has a very large and helpful group of users. There are several excellent user-to-user support sites to get quick help with problems, and for learning your way around, much like this site is a huge help in getting OSX on x86 working for all of us.

CyberTron

CyberTron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I use Arch Linux, it is blazingly fast :) and easy to use (if you have knowledge of Linux before)

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts
Since your new to linux I would say the ezer to try and use would be ubuntu Because of apt-get and synaptic,alsp there forums and wiki are great.And Mandrive its user friendly and a lot of ppl coming over to linux start there.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Damn Small Linux (DSL) at 50mb distro size. Nice to install on a thumb drive and run your own APache\MySQL\PHP. So that leaves you with enough room for serving files. :). The next one, eventhough it's "not supported" is RH9.

Fugu

Fugu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
My vote goes to Gentoo.

By the way, why is FreeBSD on the list? :(

blahsucks

blahsucks

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
It should be *nix variants, actually.. But most modern Unices (BSD, Linux et al..) use X and its myriad window managers. I recommend getting a distro with either Portage or Apt-Get. They're great package management systems. Gentoo users in general seem to be a bit loyal to their distro, though.

You'll still get the same UI and commands, though; the main differences are in bundled apps and drivers, ease of installation, packaging, and support.

Eggman

Eggman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

My vote goes to Gentoo.

By the way, why is FreeBSD on the list? :(

Oh bah. I was tired; I just got a list of the top Linux distributions and accidentally stuck that on the list because it was mentioned on the page.

It should be *nix variants, actually.. But most modern Unices (BSD, Linux et al..) use X and its myriad window managers. I recommend getting a distro with either Portage or Apt-Get. They're great package management systems. Gentoo users in general seem to be a bit loyal to their distro, though.

You'll still get the same UI and commands, though; the main differences are in bundled apps and drivers, ease of installation, packaging, and support.

Are you serious? There's no real difference in the GUI? So, basically, any distribution will be about the same? :)

weeguy

weeguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Seems that Ubuntu is getting quite a number of votes but no one has commented on it. Personally, I've used Ubuntu since it's first release and I must say that it's a pretty snappy distro. The installer fits in a single CD, and they'll even ship it to you for free. The community support is highly active as well. Moreover, a new version is scheduled for release in October so it might be a good time to get it as well. :)

aqualeviathan

aqualeviathan

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Are you serious? There's no real difference in the GUI? So, basically, any distribution will be about the same? :)

They all use the same GUI's, but some may ad/or logos and customize the menus. The two most common GUIs are KDE and Gnome. There are other elements that differentiate the distros such as installation, installing programs, ect..

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Seems that Ubuntu is getting quite a number of votes but no one has commented on it. Personally, I've used Ubuntu since it's first release and I must say that it's a pretty snappy distro. The installer fits in a single CD, and they'll even ship it to you for free. The community support is highly active as well. Moreover, a new version is scheduled for release in October so it might be a good time to get it as well. :)

I support Ubuntu and I hope the community gets bigger as time passess. I ahve been using 5.10 (Breezy Badger) Preview Release on virtual OS and I might say it is a nice release. Looking forward to the officalrelease. As much as I like Ubuntu, I would not use it on a production server :).

optimus

optimus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Use any Linux that supports VMWare Workstation 5.0

Too bad VMWare doesn't run in Ubuntu, but Red Hat, SUSE, Fedora Core and Mandrake does.
I'm really impressed with the speed Windows XP runs in VMWare. It flies with only 192MB memory and completely usable on my P4 1.6Ghz. Sometimes I forget I'm inside Linux when the guest Windows XP is running full screen.

:-)

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts

Use any Linux that supports VMWare Workstation 5.0

Too bad VMWare doesn't run in Ubuntu, but Red Hat, SUSE, Fedora Core and Mandrake does.
I'm really impressed with the speed Windows XP runs in VMWare. It flies with only 192MB memory and completely usable on my P4 1.6Ghz. Sometimes I forget I'm inside Linux when the guest Windows XP is running full screen.

:-)

vmware does run in ubuntu,go to there forums and read up on it :)

optimus

optimus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

vmware does run in ubuntu,go to there forums and read up on it :)

In the specs, there's no mention of Ubuntu
http://www.vmware.co....html#wp1000805

I'm gonna check the forums, they've probably recompiled the kernel with vmware-config.pl. Thanks for the tip! :D

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts

In the specs, there's no mention of Ubuntu
http://www.vmware.co....html#wp1000805

I'm gonna check the forums, they've probably recompiled the kernel with vmware-config.pl. Thanks for the tip! :D

Yea they dont support that distro.some ppl have had some problems getting vmware to run in ubuntu...but that goes for all linux distros. :)

Eggman

Eggman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I think I'm going to use Ubuntu for now. Thanks for all your help! However, now I need to know something else:

What is the difference between GNOME and KDE?

Thanks for helping! And feel free to keep voting! :)

ultimategeek

ultimategeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Yes, I'm seriously 12. I enjoy BASIC programming, OSx86, and operating systems (literally al...

SLACK SLACK SLACK :)

Agreed. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy