Screen Resolution Issue with Secondary Display

Haravikk

7 posts in this topic

Okay, so I've got my hackintosh setup and everything seems to be running smoothly thus far.

However, I'm unable to set the desired screen resolution for my secondary monitor; it's a 20" Apple Cinema Display, and it works fine at its native 1680 x 1050 resolution, however it's not close enough to be easily readable at that size, so really I want to set it to a lower resolution. However, lower resolutions that I've used on my previous machine just don't work, for example 1280 x 800; it just shows up with a ton of interlacing, squashed vertically and with no discernible text, just colour and shapes.

My hackintosh is using an i7-4790T's HD 4600 integrated graphics on a Gigabyte GAQ87TN motherboard (so onboard HDMI). I'm able to set the correct resolution just fine under Windows, it's only on OS X that I'm having trouble.

I'm using the latest version of Clover to boot from; I didn't need a custom DSDT or SSDT, simply having Clover generate P-states has enabled the full range of processor speeds for me, though I do have custom SSDT files for WiFi support. Also, in case it's important, the secondary screen is being connected via Displayport to DVI adaptor, as I don't have onboard DVI and am using HDMI for my main screen, though like I say, Windows doesn't appear have any problem with this.

Anyway, am I stuck on 1680 x 1050 for this screen, or is there some other step I've missed somewhere that might unlock more resolution support for me?

Maybe you should inject your graphics through a DSDT edit.There is nothing wrong about having a using a DSDT.Fix once,enjoy forever:P

Okay, so I disabled Clover's Intel graphics injection, and it's solved the screen resolution issue; I can now set any resolution I like and it seems to work just fine.

The only side effect is that now OS X is identifying my graphics as Intel Iris Pro; I haven't noticed any side effects of this so far, though I suspect any applications hoping for Iris Pro performance are going to be disappointed…

Sorry to bump again but it looks like I spoke too soon; it's strange, if I disable Intel graphics injection from Clover's options menu during startup, then the secondary display works just fine, however, if I disable Intel injection in my clover configuration and restart, then although OS X sees Iris Pro graphics, the resolution issue is back.

So it seems I can only get the correct resolution support for my secondary screen by disabling Intel graphics injection from Clover's boot-time menu, but not by setting it in the configuration.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be the case? Any ideas how I could go about replicating the effect? What is the boot menu doing differently?

Okay, another apology for bumping, but I'm really confused by this issue; it seems to have something to do with wether Clover mirrors the second display or not. Before starting up I always make sure that both displays are switched on; clover always displays its disk selection menu on both displays, but when starting up it will sometimes do so only on the primary screen, and other times it mirrors onto both.

When it mirrors the startup, OS X's login screen will remain mirrored, and once I login I'm unable to set the secondary screen's resolution to anything other than its native resolution; however, if during startup the screens aren't mirrored, then when I login I can set any resolution I like with no issues.

This happens regardless of whether my GPU is being correctly described as an HD4600 or instead as Iris Pro graphics.

I'm a bit confused as to why this problem is intermittent though, as I can't think of anything that would cause the problem only some of the time. The only other intermittent issue I've been having is that one of my internal drives isn't always being recognised; I'm sure it's not a drive failure though as it seems very unlikely it would happen as soon as it's moved to a new machine, and when it is recognised I can't detect any issues with it. It too seems to be Clover related, as when Clover recognises it it appears to whichever OS I then boot, while if it isn't recognised then it won't be found by either.

Unfortunately I can't check the hardware connections just yet, as I'm waiting for more thermal compound; the case is an Akasa Euler so makes direct contact with the CPU, but I don't want to open it and find it really could do with having the paste replaced before I have something to replace it with :)

Still, I can't think why the drive being intermittent should have an effect on my ability to set the correct screen resolution; could it be an NVRAM issue? Again though, while I could understand why that would prevent the correct resolution being remembered, I don't see why it would affect the resolutions I can select.