Bios hangs after installing bootloader

napsack

10 posts in this topic

Every time I try to install clover on my hard drive or change files in the EFI partition, bios hangs after restart- the screen stays on but is all black.  

Here is the scenario: I am currently running Yosemite beta 6 with clover, no problems.  I wanted to install the final Yosemite release on a second hard drive to backup stuff before I migrate my main drive over. I have done this many times before without issue. Now out of the blue, when I install Yosemite on the new drive followed by installing clover, my computer will hang at bios.

Here is what I know- The hdd's are good and work fine.  I have tried 3 different known working drives with different sata cables and different sata ports on the mobo, and the problem exists across all of them. The drives work fine and have no problem up until I try to install or change files on the EFI partition.  I have installed OS X and clover on 2 of these drives in the past with no problems.

After installing clover or copying files to the EFI partition, and restart the computer, bios hangs right as it should be looking for sata drives to boot from. I never get to a list of drives and I can't even go into bios settings as my pc just hangs right after the bios logo appears. The only way to get out of this is to physically unplug my hdd from the sata port.  Then the computer will boot up like normal, no problems. If I then power down and plug the drive back in, bios hangs again.  

I found that hooking the drive up to usb after boot allows me to access it.  When I plug the drive in with usb, both Windows and OS X see the drive as corrupted and needing to be formatted. If I format the drive, all appears fine and the drive works no problem, up until I mess with the EFI partition at which point bios hangs.

Like I said, i currently have a working Yosemite b6 drive that works fine, but I am scared that if I do any changes to the bootloader, it will get screwed up too.  Right now I am kind of in limbo and am clueless as to whats going on.  My computer has never had issues like this, so I am hoping it isn't a motherboard issue because I don't want to buy new parts at this point.

Help would be much appreciated!

My specs- gigabyte z77x-up5-th, i7 3770k, 16 gb ram, gtx 670.

I have seen similar issues also on my end, with the Asus MB. After reboot, I got stuck at bios logo and could not do anything from that point. The MB showed error A2, which seems related to boot drive error. I also tried to unplug my drives but i still could not boot into bios. For me the only way to move on was to re-flash the bios with the flashback setting. 

I've got these issues a couple of times, could not remember exactly what I did, but yeah...it may be related to clover EFI settings/updates.

• Like 1

I have seen similar issues also on my end, with the Asus MB. After reboot, I got stuck at bios logo and could not do anything from that point. The MB showed error A2, which seems related to boot drive error. I also tried to unplug my drives but i still could not boot into bios. For me the only way to move on was to re-flash the bios with the flashback setting. 

I've got these issues a couple of times, could not remember exactly what I did, but yeah...it may be related to clover EFI settings/updates.

I have done some more tinkering and found that I can literally change anything in the EFI partition and it causes the problem, even on freshly formatted drives. I have been having other weird problems too, like sleep suddenly stopped working and I get weird graphics glitches in the bootloader.  Seems a bios flash and memory test is probably in order.

I have avoided flashing my bios because I was hoping there was a better approach. I just checked and saw there is a bios update for my board anyway, so I will probably try that tonight.  I'll let you know if it works.

I also tried with the latest BIOS from Asus for my MB, but got same issues. I reverted back to the previous bios version, but still same problem. Not sure what happens there, but it's weird. I did not have though any corruption on my HDDs, just that I could not boot.

I also tried with the latest BIOS from Asus for my MB, but got same issues. I reverted back to the previous bios version, but still same problem. Not sure what happens there, but it's weird. I did not have though any corruption on my HDDs, just that I could not boot.

dude since you have a nivida card did you try to take it out and depend on the iGPU ? i mean intel HD 4000 , sometimes this was that the issue with me too !

• 2 weeks later...

As an update- I got really sick of the problem and bought a new motherboard assuming it was my problem.  This time I went with an Asus.  Everything seemed great, but in less than a week the problem has now started happening on the new board. BIOS hangs right before boot. I don't seem to be getting the drive corruption issue on this board, though.

I have played around with removing hardware and found that the only thing that affects the problem are the hard disks. I have 6 sata drives altogether: 3 HDDs, 2 SSDs running in Apple raid-0 (AHCI mode in BIOS), and a blu-ray drive.  When BIOS hangs, unplugging all drives will always result in BIOS behaving like normal.  I can usually get away with either unplugging the SSDs and leaving the HDDs or unplugging the SSDs and leaving the HDDs, and have BIOS boot.  Sometimes I can unplug one of the drives and the computer will boot (doesn't seem to matter which drive), sometimes I have to unplug all of them and reset CMOS to get it to boot. 

Also, after BIOS hangs, and I unplug drives or do whatever to get it to work, I am not getting a bunch of weird errors in the drive boot menu and sometimes if I try to change the boot order the computer will freeze requiring a hard reset. Just another issue to throw into the mix.

From this, I assume the problem has to be with my drives somewhere.  It doesn't appear that any one drive causes the problem, but somehow the combination of them as I have them configured cause the problem.  If all drives are blank, I don't have issues, if I have 2 or more drives have active EFI boot partitions, I am pretty much guaranteed to get the problem.  Since I dual and sometimes triple-boot, it is a big deal to not be able to have multiple boot drives hooked up at once. 

Continuing to try to figure it out, I will update if I ever find anything.

• 1 year later...

As an update- I got really sick of the problem and bought a new motherboard assuming it was my problem.  This time I went with an Asus.  Everything seemed great, but in less than a week the problem has now started happening on the new board. BIOS hangs right before boot. I don't seem to be getting the drive corruption issue on this board, though.

I have played around with removing hardware and found that the only thing that affects the problem are the hard disks. I have 6 sata drives altogether: 3 HDDs, 2 SSDs running in Apple raid-0 (AHCI mode in BIOS), and a blu-ray drive.  When BIOS hangs, unplugging all drives will always result in BIOS behaving like normal.  I can usually get away with either unplugging the SSDs and leaving the HDDs or unplugging the SSDs and leaving the HDDs, and have BIOS boot.  Sometimes I can unplug one of the drives and the computer will boot (doesn't seem to matter which drive), sometimes I have to unplug all of them and reset CMOS to get it to boot. 

Also, after BIOS hangs, and I unplug drives or do whatever to get it to work, I am not getting a bunch of weird errors in the drive boot menu and sometimes if I try to change the boot order the computer will freeze requiring a hard reset. Just another issue to throw into the mix.

From this, I assume the problem has to be with my drives somewhere.  It doesn't appear that any one drive causes the problem, but somehow the combination of them as I have them configured cause the problem.  If all drives are blank, I don't have issues, if I have 2 or more drives have active EFI boot partitions, I am pretty much guaranteed to get the problem.  Since I dual and sometimes triple-boot, it is a big deal to not be able to have multiple boot drives hooked up at once. 

Continuing to try to figure it out, I will update if I ever find anything.

I have exactly the same problem with when I have 2 EFI partitions on Samsung EVO 850 and Kingston M.2 connected at the same time. It's been killing me for days, I keep opening my laptop and connecting/disconnecting drives, it's such a pain in the ass. 

Did you ever get to figuring out how to fix it / work around it? 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...