Updating to Clover from Chameleon. Right thing to do?

stuppy_

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I have got a 10.10 system (see sig) that seems to be running sweet and stable.  The only thing that does not work is iMessages; and from what I read, this is because Chameleon 2401 does not support Nvram.  I do not claim to understand how Nvram works or how it enables iMessages to work; I am not that good :).  I do however understand the basic workings of how Chameleon works and can and have managed to fix minor issues myself, with the aid of the tons of advice around on the internet. 

Again from what I read on these and other forums, iMessages functions correctly using Clover EFI boot loader.  I understand that Clover is still in its infancy of development and that there is no unified way of doing things so to speak, with many off-shoot versions to fix specific problems (please, someone correct me I have misunderstood what I have read). 

So I guess what I am asking is, is it the right time to start messing with Clover; especially when right now, the only advantage of using it is to get iMessages to work?  I am not in a major rush to get iMessages working; it is more a case of... I want the perfect Hack build, where everything just works :)

Also, can one just simply install Clover over the top of Chameleon or does Chameleon need to be removed entirely?  I understand that the /Extras folder is located in a different location. 

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

I thought you were "upgrading" from Clover to Cameleon and I was like, what the hell... Yes, there are some differences, but in my opinion Clover is way better. Has made this whole hackintosh thing much easier for us, with EFI, etc, plus a nice touch is when you actually see the screen in the native resolution while loading the OS. Messages works nice on my Yosemite with Clover. So go ahead :)

I just sat down in front of my computer to try and have a stab at this Clover thing.  But after spending an hour reading through some of the guides on the internet... jesus it looks complicated. 

Messing around with the BIOS settings, configurators etc... for the sake of iMessages, I am not sure whether I can be bothered with the hassle right now.  Please, someone correct me if I am wrong?  Can it really be that hard to set up?

Ah man this Clover thing is kicking my ass!

I have installed it and it boots fine, but I can't get audio to work.  I really have no idea which method I should be using!

My audio codec is ALC898, but I am having a major hard time understanding how toleda's AppleHDA patches work and how to implement them. 

I am looking at this https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC . As far as I can understand it, using this method will result in a native AppleHDA which will not need re-patching after software updates.  But when I run the audio_cloverALC-100.command, all I get is "No audio codec detected"

I am obviously doing something wrong and I have tried various things using the Clover Configurator, but nothing works.

Can anyone throw me a bone?

Cheers

So after countless attempts of trying to get cloverALC working - it just decided to work.  There must have been something I was not doing that I should have been.  Annoying though cause Im not 100% sure exactly I did this time that made it work that the other 20 times it didn't.