Spinning Beach Ball after typing password to login

uzzikie

12 posts in this topic

My installation works but after a couple of reboots, it will display a spinning beach ball AFTER logging in.

Note that it's able to boot up right up to the login screen.

But the system will just hang with a spinning beach ball after typing the password.

Anyone else encounter such a problem?

Same here...in my setup, MBR and case sensitive Yosemite volume upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 and Chameleon as bootloader.

Infinite beach ball after typing the password and I can not access to the system. 

Reinstall does not help nor does -x -v -f ...

Fortunately, my files are there while I do login from another partition.

I did use just the install from a USB Yosemite installer patched for use in MBR partitions (oldnapalm patch)...

the Login Window appears to be borked, clicking on the keyboard layout and any text typed in the password space also trigger the beach ball . The shutdown, sleep and restart buttons are working fine.

mine is a clean installation

well, a complete reinstallation solved the problem

but i rather find the root cause then reinstall if this happens again

tried -v -f cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1

The beach ball was after upgrade from Mavericks or after a clean install (formatted HD)?

Your partition is MBR or GUID?

UPDATE: I kept getting an intermittent black screen after the Apple Logo / Before Login Password Screen that prevented me from logging. After a few frustrating days I determined it was a hardware issue and replaced the drive.

So try installing a different drive. Even if you can install software onto your drive it doesn't mean it will be perfectly fine to boot off. 

is selecting KeyLayout at the login screen trggering the beach ball? In my case selecting KeyLayout and typing the password do trigger the beach ball. Also, I cannot login using the root account...more beach ball. 

• 1 year later...

I was going to give up on this issue after multiple installs, but I figured out the issue and the fix was super easy guys ;) I promise it works, plug in your installation media and then test the permissions of the disk, and then repair them, quit the installer, reboot, and wham, your in after a few seconds. Trust me guys  it works dont waste your time reinstalling it. :)

• Like 1