Disappearing EFI partition with Clover

tchit

18 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a Hackintosh with a Z77-DS3H Gigabyte motherboard.

I updated from Maverick to Yosemite with no big issue with Chimera/Chameleon.

I wanted to solve the iMessage issue, so I decided to switch to Clover (UEFI).

I did install Clover on the same disk as OS X. Each time, the EFI partition was created with no issue.

But here is what happens everytime:

- I install Clover, mount the EFI partition to change the config file.

- Reboot... Everything working perfectly.

... until....

- Try to mount the EFI again to make some changes in the config BUT this time the partition won't mount. EFI shows in the terminal when I list the drives (disk1s1), though. I tried with command lines, EFI Mounter and Disk Utility.

- When I try to mount it with the clover configurator, I get a "EFI" folder in /Volumes instead of a drive. And that folder is empty.

- Each time after booting, OS X won't start, which I think is normal since EFI disappeared. I then have to setup my Hackintosh all over again.

I tried 3 times. Even with creating the FAT32 EFI partition myself, I get the same problem each time.

Does someone know the reason and how to fix it? Do I need to install Clover on a bootable USB instead of the system drive? I couldn't find if this was the issue (and didn't have a USB key available). Also, is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance... Any piece of advice would help me a lot!

Used Disk Utility debuger 

type this on terminal just copie and paste the command 

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Open disk utility 

14313.jpg

Mount EFI by  the disk Utility 

• Like 2

With  the disk Utility debuger ?

Yes the utility debugger that shows hidden partitions. The 3 times I tried after install then reboot, I was unable to mount the EFI partition and the 2nd reboot was impossible.

Reformate EFI with this command 

cheek if its the right EFI partition 

type this on terminal 

diskutil list 

sudo -s 

Exemple here to  erase EFI  and create New EFI msdos 

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

and reinstall clover 

• Like 1

Reformate EFI with this command 

cheek if its the right EFI partition 

type this on terminal 

diskutil list 

sudo -s 

Exemple here to  erase EFI  and create New EFI msdos 

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

and reinstall clover 

Does Clover installer install anything in the EFI partition? If not, we have to copy the EFI folder there?

What is the situation with Fusion Drive? Because there are two EFI partitions effectively. Thanks!

so basiclly, how many hard drive you connect to the system? try to connect the boot drive only.

you can use tool from Clover Configurator to mount EFI partition.

check to see before install clover you need to format EFI first before clover can install to it.

good luck

@tchit: have you used cvad’s “Kext Utility” recently? It modifies 2 kexts on /S/L/E — one is msdosfs which is related to mounting FAT32 partitions — breaking the signature of the kexts and resulting in the system blocking them from loading. You can fix this by adding “kext-dev-mode=1” in arguments or by restoring the original msdosfs kext.

• Like 1

so basiclly, how many hard drive you connect to the system? try to connect the boot drive only.

you can use tool from Clover Configurator to mount EFI partition.

check to see before install clover you need to format EFI first before clover can install to it.

good luck

I might try disconnecting other drives. 

I formated EFI partitions (2 of them, one on each of the drives that make up the fusion drive) as FAT32. 

After installing Clover nothing appeared in these EFI partition. I saw other tutorials say you need to copy EFI folder in there but I am not sure if it is generally so or only for Fusion drive. 

It doesn't seem to be booting off the other connected drives though, based on the info on the screen.

What is the situation with Fusion Drive? Because there are two EFI partitions effectively. Thanks!

Since no one answered that setup is just like a RAID effectively you copy the files to both "Boot OS X" partitions usually the s3 or third slice on each disk, that is what did it for my RAID 0 install.

I might try disconnecting other drives. 

I formated EFI partitions (2 of them, one on each of the drives that make up the fusion drive) as FAT32. 

After installing Clover nothing appeared in these EFI partition. I saw other tutorials say you need to copy EFI folder in there but I am not sure if it is generally so or only for Fusion drive. 

It doesn't seem to be booting off the other connected drives though, based on the info on the screen.

Did you check "install on ESP" option when installing Clover?

I had the same problem time to time. I had getting a problem on boot for msdos.kext failed to load. I think this problem is related with this kext not being loaded. try boot options kext-dev-mode=0. then see if this kext loaded or not.

• 2 months later...

Where can we find (or manually restore) the original `msdos.kext`?

you should be able to get it from either the installer or the (maybe) combo update with pacifist. BTW as far as I know the latest kext utility does not modify msdosfs anymore.

Where can we find (or manually restore) the original `msdos.kext`?

you should be able to get it from either the installer or the (maybe) combo update with pacifist. BTW as far as I know the latest kext utility does not modify msdosfs anymore.