New to this - Is my PC Compatible with OSX on VirtualBox?

YorkiesWorld

9 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm new to the idea of installing Mac on my PC. I basically want to be able to run it through VirtualBox and I've seen a whole load of tutorials on how to do this but I've always run into problems. I would like to be able to get as many things working as I can, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how I should get started?

My Specs Are as follows:

AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit

2 SSD drives and a standard Sata Hard Drive with 1 DVD Drive

16GB of RAM

I would like to run it through VirtualBox if possible, can anyone recommend what version of OSX I need to set everything up?

Thanks in advance!

Why only on VirtualBox? You can obviously get the best out of Yosemite with that specs. Anyway, if my cousin's PC without a Graphic card can run it on VirtualBox, yours can most definitely do it as well. My advice? Just install OS X on your PC, it's a lot better.

• Like 1

Why only on VirtualBox? You can obviously get the best out of Yosemite with that specs. Anyway, if my cousin's PC without a Graphic card can run it on VirtualBox, yours can most definitely do it as well. My advice? Just install OS X on your PC, it's a lot better.

Hi, thanks for the reply,

At the moment I'm just wanting to try things out and see if I really do want to go all the way and use it as my main OS, would you recommend any methods to get it working on my hardware? I do have an AMD CPU which I've heard can be a little more difficult to get working with OSX?

Hi, thanks for the reply,

At the moment I'm just wanting to try things out and see if I really do want to go all the way and use it as my main OS, would you recommend any methods to get it working on my hardware? I do have an AMD CPU which I've heard can be a little more difficult to get working with OSX?

Unfortunately, I only have tried hackintosh on an Intel-based and yes, installing it on an AMD processor is more tricky. I would recommend you to try to make UFD installer on a Mac first (recommended if you're installing retail OS X) or if you only have windows installed, there are tutorials for you to make UFD installer from windows (easier for Distro OS X).

Try switching kernel just google "amd fx os x 10.x os x versions name virtualbox" .x is the version such as "os x 10.9 Mavericks. and try talking to spakk and gils83.

Try switching kernel just google "amd fx os x 10.x os x versions name virtualbox" .x is the version such as "os x 10.9 Mavericks. and try talking to spakk and gils83.

Hi there thanks a lot for that! I've messaged Spakk but can't seem to click on Gils83's profile to message him. I've just noticed we seem to have the same Motherboard actually! Do you have hackintosh working on your system by any chance? I'd love to start off in VMware or Virtualbox and see how it all works and then move onto putting it on my actual system!

I had a working VM but its gone now need to get it back up and running.

I had a working VM but its gone now need to get it back up and running.

Ah right I see, did you ever have any issues with the error message saying the "CPU was disabled by the host operating system" by any chance? I've had that quite a lot and can never seem to get past it!

Nope the os x version was os x 10.6.8-installed using the hazard snow leopard distro then updated to 10.6.8 with the combo upadte and before reboot install nawcom's legacy kernel 10.6.8.