multi monitors in mirror mode at login, but normal after logged in

3square

24 posts in this topic

having a weird issue.

I have 4 monitors running off a GTX 770. using nvidia's latest web driver.

after boot, at the login screen all four are mirrored.

once i logged in, everything is normal.

even after waking from sleep, the login screen is shown normal.

any one can comment that would be really appreciated.

thanks.

bump please ---------  include boot log, config file and etc

-------------------------------

i'm using nvidia web-driver 343.01.01f01 (latest). if i don't use it, only the HD4000 works

inject nvidia=yes i get 1 screen; set to no, i get all four. they are still cloned at login screen.

furthermore, after every reboot i get another desktop space added next to my primary. and every subsequence reboot more gets added.

does that means anything?

BUT when at login screen. if i unplug a video cable, it stop mirroring and goes back to normal. plug that cable back in. everything is fine.   wacko.png  blink.png

i found 2 other people that has mirrored login screen as well. doesn't show any commonality; boards or graphics cards.  i'm beginning to think this isn't hardware related....actually i don't know....anything =\

also, at every other...seemingly random times i restart. all 4 monitor gets heavy amount of artifact on screen.

you can see here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cbhqysagkfyf2z/IMG_4123.JPG?dl=0

I then have to toggle nvidia's driver prefpane from nvidia driver to osx default driver. reboot, no artifact, but still cloned.

here is my config

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieew6bannykrd5e/config.plist?dl=0

my bootlog

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qxbgqs6b0tex5s/bootlog.log.txt?dl=0

i see the nvidia's kexts are loaded. from kext wizard's loaded kext window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfek8y3cpb0xr1t/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-21%20at%209.09.19%20PM.png?dl=0

thank you.

post-841174-0-27649800-1413968196_thumb.png

Hey there.  I'm experiencing similar issues.  I notice that it will sometimes not be in mirrored mode, but I can't seem to pinpoint why...

I can make it go away every time by going to Settings->Energy Saver->Restore defaults.  But then after a few reboots, it will eventually come back.

It seems that this isn't only an issue with hackintosh: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1802298

Might be fixed in an OS update.

Hey there.  I'm experiencing similar issues.  I notice that it will sometimes not be in mirrored mode, but I can't seem to pinpoint why...

I can make it go away every time by going to Settings->Energy Saver->Restore defaults.  But then after a few reboots, it will eventually come back.

It seems that this isn't only an issue with hackintosh: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1802298

Might be fixed in an OS update.

thanks for this. i've been trying to figure this out for days! This whole time thinking it's my clover config/system.

since everything should be working OOB.

ignore the heavy screen artifact problem, i've solved it with some help on cleaning up my config file.

thanks for this. i've been trying to figure this out for days! This whole time thinking it's my clover config/system.

since everything should be working OOB.

ignore the heavy screen artifact problem, i've solved it with some help on cleaning up my config file.

Did restoring Energy Saver defaults work for you?  I'm wondering if its just a coincidence that it is working, or if it is actually something else that is causing an issue.

Did restoring Energy Saver defaults work for you?  I'm wondering if its just a coincidence that it is working, or if it is actually something else that is causing an issue.

i have not tried restoring energy saver defaults yet… still at work. will let you know once i try it.

i fix the heavy screen artifact by cleaning up my config, so i don't think that is related.

are you using the latest nvidia web driver? just trying to narrow it down. on a fresh install the problem is there as well. so i don't know if it's nvidia or apple

i have not tried restoring energy saver defaults yet… still at work. will let you know once i try it.

i fix the heavy screen artifact by cleaning up my config, so i don't think that is related.

are you using the latest nvidia web driver? just trying to narrow it down. on a fresh install the problem is there as well. so i don't know if it's nvidia or apple

I'm using the stock Apple drivers.  I have never tried the web driver.  I have IGPU disabled in the BIOS.  My GTX 670 has the latest GOP firmware.

The only kexts I'm using are FakeSMC, Atheros Ethernet, Intel Ethernet, and RealtekALC.  I recently added my video card's device ID to AGPM so that it gets properly recognized.  This fixed sleep mode for me.

The other issue I'm working on fixing is CPU Power management and a problem I'm having with a USB camera, also related to sleep mode.  Once I can iron out those 2 things and fix this display issue, my hack should be complete.  I can share with you all of my files in EFI if you need.  I'm going to add my hardware to my signature.

bump please ---------  include boot log, config file and etc

-------------------------------

i'm using nvidia web-driver 343.01.01f01 (latest). if i don't use it, only the HD4000 works

inject nvidia=yes i get 1 screen; set to no, i get all four. they are still cloned at login screen.

furthermore, after every reboot i get another desktop space added next to my primary. and every subsequence reboot more gets added.

does that means anything?

BUT when at login screen. if i unplug a video cable, it stop mirroring and goes back to normal. plug that cable back in. everything is fine.   wacko.png  blink.png

i found 2 other people that has mirrored login screen as well. doesn't show any commonality; boards or graphics cards.  i'm beginning to think this isn't hardware related....actually i don't know....anything =\

also, at every other...seemingly random times i restart. all 4 monitor gets heavy amount of artifact on screen.

you can see here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cbhqysagkfyf2z/IMG_4123.JPG?dl=0

I then have to toggle nvidia's driver prefpane from nvidia driver to osx default driver. reboot, no artifact, but still cloned.

here is my config

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieew6bannykrd5e/config.plist?dl=0

my bootlog

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qxbgqs6b0tex5s/bootlog.log.txt?dl=0

i see the nvidia's kexts are loaded. from kext wizard's loaded kext window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfek8y3cpb0xr1t/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-21%20at%209.09.19%20PM.png?dl=0

thank you.

After some diagnosing, I realized I am having similar issues (mirrored display at login, many many spaces, very slow boot, no artifacts though). I am using a Nvidia GTX650 with three monitors and the latest web driver. 

Sorry not much help aside from shared frustration.

just tried setting energy saver to default. it didn't work, has no effect.

I must have been wrong, because now I'm also noticing that it has no effect unfortunately.

However, every once in a while it will NOT be mirrored, I don't know why.  I'm going to spend the next few days investigating this issue.  Please update if anyone finds a solution.

EDIT: 3square - what SMBios are you using?  I'm using an iMac13,2 sysdef.  I briefly was trying to use Macmini6,2, and I remember when I tried that I didn't remember experiencing this issue.  But I need iMac13,2 for other things...

I must have been wrong, because now I'm also noticing that it has no effect unfortunately.

However, every once in a while it will NOT be mirrored, I don't know why.  I'm going to spend the next few days investigating this issue.  Please update if anyone finds a solution.

EDIT: 3square - what SMBios are you using?  I'm using an iMac13,2 sysdef.  I briefly was trying to use Macmini6,2, and I remember when I tried that I didn't remember experiencing this issue.  But I need iMac13,2 for other things...

i'm using iMac13,2. i will experiment with Macmini6,2 to see.

When i was on chameleon, it was set at MacPro3,1 with Maverick. That was fine.

i'm also going to install chameleon on a test yosemite install and see as well.

i'm using iMac13,2. i will experiment with Macmini6,2 to see.

When i was on chameleon, it was set at MacPro3,1 with Maverick. That was fine.

i'm also going to install chameleon on a test yosemite install and see as well.

Please post back with your results.  If I remember correctly, I did not see the display issue with the Macmini6,2 sysdef, but I'd have to test again to see.  However, my serial number is locked to the iMac13,2 since I now have iMessage / Facetime working correctly.

I got the exact same issue, login screen is mirrored on boot, and on every boot a new space is added in spaces. I didn't realise this until reading this topic, i was actually searching why my wallpaper was reset to default on every boot.

I temporary disabled the option System Preferences => Mission Control => Displays have separate Spaces for now but i'm curious on how and why this is happing. A wild guess is that  it has something to do with OSX detecting a new monitor with every boot.

I'm using clover with nothing set under Graphics settings (using an MSI Geforce GTX 770)

Please post back with your results.  If I remember correctly, I did not see the display issue with the Macmini6,2 sysdef, but I'd have to test again to see.  However, my serial number is locked to the iMac13,2 since I now have iMessage / Facetime working correctly.

so i booted and made the change in cloverGUI for smbios to Macmini6,2....  it work!!!

what does this mean? i have no idea. 

so i booted and made the change in cloverGUI for smbios to Macmini6,2....  it work!!!

what does this mean? i have no idea. 

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of...is it like that for every boot?

I just wished that my iMessage was linked to the Macmini SMBios and not the iMac13,2...

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

3square, I have seen your posts around the traps, did you ever fix your problem?

Having a similar issue here, most boots login screen in mirror mode and cursor doubling (causing a mouse trail effect). I only just noticed the additional desktop spaces.

The mirror is at the lowest res. monitor for all screens, and disappears when logged in. The second mouse cursor stays however (very annoying!)

The primary mouse cursor will change icons when hovering over text boxes or borders, though the secondary cursor is a constant arrow.

I have found that I can log out of the user and log back in and it goes back to normal, and also that it doesn't happen every boot (it's quite erratic)

I know there were some similar issues with Mountain Lion and display arrangement - which were caused by SSD read speeds being too quick to read the prefs file before being able to initialise the displays.

Could this be another bug with the same cause? Is logging out and logging back in working for you guys as well?

- Matty

I solved the mouse cursor trail and artifact problem by using nvidia's driver instead of OS X. Still have the mirrored screens on login. When I use fast-user switching the mouse cursor disappeared. I had to erase all the files in system pref folder and it solve that for the other user. Not my main one. Didn't want to erase all my main user setting. Hope hat helps

Thanks 3square,

Unfortunately switching drivers and clearing prefs hasn't worked for me. I may have to check my permissions.

Every upgrade and clean install I do, I back it up to another drive using CCC. It's weird that if I boot from the cloned drive it's perfect every time. Though, when I use the original install or clone the backup back to the SSD and boot it - I have the mirrored logins and mouse trails.

To be continued I guess :P

Thanks 3square,

Unfortunately switching drivers and clearing prefs hasn't worked for me. I may have to check my permissions.

Every upgrade and clean install I do, I back it up to another drive using CCC. It's weird that if I boot from the cloned drive it's perfect every time. Though, when I use the original install or clone the backup back to the SSD and boot it - I have the mirrored logins and mouse trails.

To be continued I guess :P

i had the same issue as well. regarding booting from clone. the next "big" update, i'll do a clean install. cause yeah… cleaning house

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I would come back for an update.

I managed to completely fix mirrored login, mouse trails and additional spaces by avoiding all HDMI ports and ensuring a full inject of graphics cards. Note: my solution method will require two graphics cards.

Yosemite has an issue where the hdmi needs to be primary monitor, and must have the menu bar otherwise it creates a new entry in windowserver plists and essentially reconfigures on every boot. I tried locking the plists, but this didn't help. (though have kept them locked just to stop any new entries)

As my setup is rather complicated (a 2560x1440 monitor which can only be connected through Dual Link, a Cintiq tablet through DVI only, and a Tv) my options were limited.

Currently using a gtx 770, I only had two DVI ports and during testing, the display port showed the same symptoms as the Hdmi port.

I installed my old gtx 570 along side the gtx 770 and injected them both via SSDT. Enabling hidef audio (HDEF) on the 570, I was able to connect to the amp and Tv through a DVI to HDMI lead. The lead needs to be able to carry audio, so don't use an adapter or get a cheap cable. I have confirmed I can still get full DTS 5.1 through DVI, have had no mirroring/trailing/additional spaces for over 24 hours, and my desktop configurations and backgrounds have stayed the same since!

Sorry the detail here is very broad, I'm writing this on my phone!

I hope this helps anyone with the same issues, let me know if you need any more detail.

Hello guys. I'm here only to give my 2 cents since I have solved the new spaces per boot problem. The problem with mirrored displays at boot still remains though. I have a dual display setup and I use an iMac12,2 SMBIOS . The first one, a.k.a the main display, is connected through DVI and the second one through HDMI. Anyway, the thing that I did which prevented new spaces from being created was this: I inserted my graphics card id in AGPM.kext and reorganised the ports which I patched with clover.  The first part is pretty self explanatory. Now when I say that I reorganised the ports I mean that my framebuffer patch had the following connector setup:

0 VGA
1 HDMI
2 DisplayPort
3 DVI

I swapped DVI with DP and the problem was solved. In my dsdt I have set the no.1 port as the boot display with the following code:

"@1,AAPL,boot-display", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

Prior to setting this, my mouse cursor was in the HDMI connected screen when the pc booted. After setting @1 port as boot display the mouse cursor was correctly on the main display and no extra spaces were created. 

Also weird thing and maybe off topic, but since I'm not sure, I'm gonna say it :P

Noticed that in system preferences, in the display section, the keyboard shortcut to decrease display brightness, actually triggers mirroring mode on and off. I'm not 100% sure if my problem is fixed because of the changes in my DSDT and config.plist or because of the fact that I pressed the decrease brightness shortcut while the apple logo was displayed. I happened to press it while trying out the port reorganisation. One thing is for sure though, no new spaces every boot and the cursor is correctly appearing in the main display. Hope all this help somehow.

Edit: I couldn't help myself and tested setting the other 3 ports as the boot display,which resulted in new spaces. That way I realised that the correct number so that no new spaces are created at every boot is the one that IORegistryExplorer has for your main display,and not the number of the port in the framebuffer. Since my DVI screen appears to be at ATY,Vervet@1, I have to set "@1,AAPL,boot-display" in my DSDT, even though in my modded framebuffer the DVI port is the 3rd one. Now only the mirrored screens at login remains.

• 1 month later...

I solved the mouse cursor trail and artifact problem by using nvidia's driver instead of OS X. Still have the mirrored screens on login. When I use fast-user switching the mouse cursor disappeared. I had to erase all the files in system pref folder and it solve that for the other user. Not my main one. Didn't want to erase all my main user setting. Hope hat helps

just to update on this

after updating to 10.10.3  the problem is gone!!  no more mouse cursor disappearing!