nForce OS X Yosemite (10.10) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

112 posts in this topic

Try running the installer in simple VESA mode, i.e. with all NV* and Ge* kexts temporarily removed from the installer /S/L/E….

Once you confirm that it is running 100% OK apart from the graphics side, then graphics can be sorted out via a patched DSDT.aml file hopefully......

• Like 1

Take it slowly step by step through the install guide, paying attention to setting up the installer org.chameleon.Boot.plist, ownership / permissions on the installer and target drives etc.

If on your original working Mavericks install you had a working DSDT.aml with a GFX0 patch for the same graphics card, then add it to the  Yosemite installer USB with GraphicsEnabler=No in the installer org.chameleon.Boot.plist....

Only add it to the installer if it properly patched as per my guide, including a GFX0 patch to suit your graphics card model NVCAP and VRAM etc.....otherwise, either run the installer with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and DSDT=No, or install in VESA mode, with GraphicsEnabler=No and DSDT=No.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This AppleNForceATA is the only one that works with PATA (IDE) on Yosemite, that I've found.

Otherwise it's the old "still waiting for root device" routine.

It might work on others as well , Snow, Mountain, El Capitan, although AppleNForceATA-1.06 is apparently for El Capitan.

AppleNForceATA-1.0.5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304768-applenforceata-106/

Set Bios to AHCI.

Tested on an Asus P5N-MX with a 610i chipset.

PATA interface is "10de:056c" and is also called "MCP73 IDE".

SATA interface is "10de:07f4" for AHCI mode, and "10de:07f8" for RAID mode.

AppleNForceATA-1.0.5.zip

Asus P5N-MX (610i chipset) needs PCIRootUID=1 and probably npci=0x3000 for Nvidia graphics card (I'm using a Geforce 210), pretty typical for nvidia chipsets.

EFI graphics string can be generated in OSX86Tools

Main thing is to choose the right connections for your card ie DVI-I VGA or DVI-I DVI-I etc and the cards memory size.

add the string between <string> and </string> and put it all in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key> 
<string></string>

Sound needs a ALC662 VoodooHDA 

http://www.osx86.net/file/117-voodoohda-for-alc662/

I used OpenHaltRestart to avoid shutdown/restart/cmos reset problems.

Sleep may work with the USB device wakeup jumper set to S3 on the motherboard and S3 set in the bios and legacy usb disabled in the bios (otherwise it won't go to sleep and just hangs).

Sleep may also work with all USB disabled in the bios and a PCI NEC USB2 card used instead.

I get Sleep to work by enabling everthing in APM Configuration and disabling USB Legacy in the bios, and then waking Yosemite via USB using the USB Keyboard Space Bar (the power button might not work correctly as a wake up).

No DSDT is needed and any DSDT edits for PIC, TMR, HPET etc just result in sleep breaking.

Bios APM Configuration

------------------

Power On By PCI/PCIE Devices [Enabled]

Power On By External Modems [Enabled]

Power On By RTC Alarm [Enabled]

HPET Support [Enabled]

Power On By Keyboard [space Bar]

Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Enabled]

--------------

Ethernet works with nForceLAN (0.64.5) http://www.osx86.net/file/1942-nforce-lan/

nvenet.kext in the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily wants to load as well as the nForceLAN kext, so nvenet.kext needs to be removed and the extension cache needs to be rebuilt (just drag the Caches folder in /System/Library to the trash and reboot.

Interesting things happens with the inbuilt nvidia video and a Geforce PCI-E card (Geforce 210).

NVDANV50Hal(Tesla) wants to load for the inbuilt nvidia video and also load for the Geforce PCI-E card, resulting in a black screen even though the EFI graphics string is right for the Geforce PCI-E card.

The nForceLAN kext loading seems to stop the inbuilt nvidia video being loaded by NVDANV50Hal, so then the Geforce PCI-E card can  get loaded by itself and function normally.

The best thing to do would be to add a device id for only your card to NVDAGF100Hal.kext or NVDAGK100Hal.kext or NVDANV50HalTesla.kext and don't add or allow any other device ids, forcing the nvidia kext to just load just for your nvidia PCI-E card.

ie

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOService</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>
0x0a6510de&0xffe0ffff
</string>

There doesn't seem to be anything much stopping sleep working on nforce chipsets (even with no dsdt), at least with my older nforce 610i/630i chipset (Asus P5N-MX).

The usb gets detected by Yosemite as built in using no dsdt.

I had to set a jumper on my Asus board to enable S3 sleep and S3 was selected in the bios.

The Legacy usb option had to be turned off in the bios, otherwise Yosemite wouldn't go to sleep.

The nvidia drivers should be updated to the Web drivers.

Both NullPowerMangement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with C states set in the Chameleon boot plist (with HPET enabled in the bios), worked with sleep.

Sata was using Generic Sata and Pata works with AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 at least on the master channel.

AHCI was selected in the bios.

No dsdt was required and the video EFI and C states were done in the Chameleon boot plist and openhaltrestart was added for shutdown/restart cmos reset problems.

I've got another Asus older board (P5KPL-CM) with an Intel chipset and it also didn't need a dsdt for sleep to work, basically using the same setup method as for the Asus P5N-MX.

@macIImacII

Not all nForce chipsets are equivalent..........the MCP73 (nForce 610i/630i) chipset is fully AHCI compliant......other nForce Southbridge chipsets are not......see here.

So sleep can be  or is a problem for most nForce chipsets.

@macIImacII

Not all nForce chipsets are equivalent..........the MCP73 (nForce 610i/630i) chipset is fully AHCI compliant......other nForce Southbridge chipsets are not......see here.

So sleep can be  or is a problem for most nForce chipsets.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that it applies to all nforce chipsets, but maybe nforce chipsets with similar OHCI/EHCI USB may work.

The main hangup to getting sleep to work in my experience is the USB.

It amazed me that my nforce chipset could actually do sleep ok. 

My nforce USB is OHCI/EHCI rather than the Intel AHCI/EHCI, and disabling Legacy USB made all the difference.

Sometimes the board USB has to be disabled and an external PCI/PCI-E USB2/USB3 card used instead.

That's what I had to do with a AMD 850 chipset, which had a totally incompatible OHCI/EHCI USB, but once I used an external USB card (NEC USB2 PCI card) then sleep was working fine. 

Also, sleep works (on my 610i Asus P5N-MX board) with IDE selected in the bios (instead of AHCI or RAID) and using a PATA hard disk as the Yosemite startup disk and AppleNForceATA-1.0.5.

Without AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 it was "still waiting for root device", and I tried about 10 different other AppleNForceATA kexts and they didn't work including AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext.

The device id's are in AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 for my board's PATA 0x056c10de, but it's more than just adding a device id to any old AppleNForceATA as I did that on some AppleNForceATA kexts and just got a "still waiting for root device" or an error about the added device id was unsupported by that particular AppleNForceATA kext.

The AppleNForceATA needs to have been coded and compiled in the right sort of way, so the different AppleNForceATA's that are floating around can give different results.

I couldn't be bothered recoding and recompiling AppleNForceATA and all of the testing that goes along with it, and by sheer luck AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 works with my board and Yosemite in IDE and SATA bios modes.

So, try to get hold of your ide/raid/sata device id's for your chipset using linux (lspci -nn), windows or looking around the net and see if it's in the AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 device id list and AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 may hopefully work, maybe, if you are lucky and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

The device id's in AppleNForceATA-1.0.5 are

NForce PATA

0x01bc10de
0x006510de
0x008510de
0x00d510de
0x00e510de
0x003510de
0x005310de
0x026510de
0x036e10de
0x03ec10de
0x044810de
0x056010de
0x056c10de
0x075910de

NForce SATA

0x008e10de
0x00e310de
0x00ee10de
0x003610de
0x003e10de
0x005410de
0x005510de
0x026610de
0x026710de
0x037e10de
0x037f10de
0x03e710de
0x03f610de
0x03f710de
0x044c10de
0x044d10de
0x044e10de
0x044f10de
0x045c10de
0x045d10de
0x045e10de
0x045f10de
0x055010de
0x055110de
0x055210de
0x055310de
0x055410de
0x055510de
0x055610de
0x055710de
0x055810de
0x055910de
0x055A10de
0x055B10de
0x058410de
0x07f010de
0x07f110de
0x07f210de
0x07f310de
0x07f410de
0x07f510de
0x07f610de
0x07f710de
0x07f810de
0x07f910de
0x07fa10de
0x07fb10de
0x0ad010de
0x0ad110de
0x0ad210de
0x0ad310de
0x0ad410de
0x0ad510de
0x0ad610de
0x0ad710de
0x0ad810de
0x0ad910de
0x0ada10de
0x0adb10de
0x0ab410de
0x0ab510de
0x0ab610de
0x0ab710de
0x0ab810de
0x0ab910de
0x0aba10de
0x0abb10de
0x0abc10de
0x0abd10de
0x0abe10de
0x0abf10de
0x0d8410de
0x0d8510de
0x0d8610de
0x0d8710de
0x0d8810de
0x0d8910de
0x0d8a10de
0x0d8b10de
0x0d8c10de
0x0d8d10de
0x0d8e10de
0x0d8f10de

• 2 months later...

HELP!!!! (I know I need a ton of it) Alright guys this is going to be somewhat simple to solve (for you guys Im assuming).

I am able to boot to the installer however I removed all the graphics kexts from S/L/E and using boot flags -v cpus=1

I have a Dell XPS630i (Mobo is Dell TT-PWA TED-PP150 PWA-DRUID/MOTHER BOARD A00/A01)

PCB P/N 316769600067

Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800/8800 GT

8 GB of Ram 800 mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I am able to boot to the installer (without any graphics kexts as suggested in one of the previous posts) however the installer specifies that Yosemite is already installed and it does not see my connected HDD to install Yosemite on. What do I need to do to get my drives seen? I have followed the guide verbatim however somewhere along the line something was goofed or I do not know what. If I need to give more info let me know! 

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!

Check your BIOS settings for your SATA hard drive against the 630i OS X settings template

Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

also reformat the SATA hard drive OS X target volume and reset its ownership/permissions as the guide says....

Thanks Verdant! I tried using the settings you suggested but still have not many any progress. I formatted my drive and changed the permissions via terminal.

I have noticed however that at the moment I am able to see my drive/s in disk utility ( i only have the disk im installing OS X onto plugged in) via usb. 

I just reread my previous post and even to me it doesnt make much sense. :P

Allow me to clarify. I am able to boot to the installer window. I get to the screen that says welcome. choose a language. but after I click the arrow it says 

OS X could not be installed on your computer 

OS X Yosemite is already installed on this Mac. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

and theres only a restart button to click. 

Any suggestions on what I should try next? I genuinely appreciate your help. 

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:

If I understand you correctly, you have the target OS X SATA hard drive formatted as GUID in a USB enclosure plugged into your Dell XPS630i? 

Is your Yosemite installer on a USB stick plugged into the Dell XPS630i or set up on the Dell XPS630i?

What OS(s) do you have installed on the Dell XPS630i?

My target OS X Sata hard drive formatted as GUID is connected via a USB harddrive adapter. (I previously had it connected via the sata plugs inside my "Dell" however I remember when I first installed Snow Leopard I had problems similar to this where the drives are not being seen and the solution was an nForceata.kext which I had transferred from Snow Leopard to Lion and now to Yosemite but I am not sure if I need it in S/L/E). My Yosemite installer on a USB stick is plugged into my Dell XPS630i. On the Dell I HAD Windows 10/8/7, OS X Lion, and Linux. None of which are currently connected nor inside the Dell at the moment. Also I did do what you suggested as far as BIOS settings and permissions.

Confirm that you have AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext or AppleNForceATA 1.05 in /System/Library/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume.....and have used Terminal to reset the kexts ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

followed by

sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Close all open folders within the OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete all the files within Startup, e.g. kernelcache and then reboot the installer.

I just now got home and i looked in the S/L/Extensions folder on my USB installer and I did not have the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext but the AppleNForceATA version 1.04 I did. So i went and downloaded version 1.05 and followed your directions exactly and right now its in the process of booting up. Lets see what happens. I sincerely appreciate your help!

Darn! OK, so now when it boots up the same image shows up that Yosemite is already installed on this Mac and that OS X could not be installed on your computer. What is going on? I have made a break through I believe because now when I open up disk Utility the connected target disk drive shows up above the USB installer. Should I post a picture of the screen? What other information can I give you to help me better? I do love this challenge because I NEVER thought this computer rig would ever be able to run anything past Snow Leopard and now Im attempting to install Yosemite!! I know Im close but what can be the hold up??? :P

What is your optical drive SATA or PATA? If PATA, then jumper-set as Master and connect as Master to MOBO, or if SATA, disconnect from MOBO...

Now, when the connected target disk drive shows up above the USB installer I am assuming that Disk Utility shows it to be empty and GUID partitioned and with the HFS+ file system...so,  I suggest you put the SATA in the PC as the only SATA device connected to the MOBO, and re-run the installer....

When the installer boots what does your installer screen show regarding installation location selection....?

It doesnt get to the installer location selection. It only asks me to choose a language and after that it displays the already installed screen. Im disconnecting the dvd drive right now. Fingers crossed!

One other thing I noticed was that when I had my Lion install in system profile it displayed as a Mac Pro 3,1 however when I have attempted to start the installer in verbose mode it sometimes kernel panicked and stated that it was being recognized as a Mac mini. I dont know if that helps any but thought it was weird and may be important for something.

NO CIGAR.... Same thing as before. I have another USB drive that I copied from this one and I decided to try to keep it just in case this one got "messed up" somehow. Do you think I should try recreating my USB installer? Im posting a picture of the screen that I get when I try booting from it. I cannot find a way to upload my picture. Any advice where I should be looking so I can post it?

I think might be of some help. I was looking around in the same window that says OS X Could not be installed and in the menu bar under the window tab I clicked on the log and under errors it shows one that I found interesting.

It says, 

OS X Installer ***storageTaskManagerExistsWithIdentifier:withIdentifier failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn't communicate with a helper application." (the connectionto service named com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache was invalidated.) UserInfo=0x7fc5b3d7f580 {NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.nsurlstorage-cahce was invalidated.}

I dont know what that means but I think it might have something to do with whats going on with my install.

Yes.....to save time, create a new USB flash drive installer from scratch on a flash drive reformatted as GUID (GPT) so that it starts clean.....

• 1 month later...

Alright. I am just about fed up with the your system is nearing its end of life cycle errors via many apps that I use regularly so now it is REALLY time to get this system booting Yosemite. Im creating a new USB installer right now will post back with results

Hey guys, Verdant. I am trying to create another USB installer and right now am at a halt on step 3 part 6 in regards to dragging and dropping the packages folder from the Installer app to the USB. On my USB I do not have a System folder nor an installation folder. I went ahead and created them however I am not able to drag and drop the packages folder into this newly created folder because finder prompts me that there isnt sufficient room. IS the lack of a system folder a mistake I made somewhere?

Alright we have now created a bootable USB drive, I think.

Currently it boots in verbose mode however, it gets to a point where it says trying to enumerate a device and then just moves onto a black screen and then nothing. Going back now to adjust bios settings

So attempting to closely follow the preseries 7 bios settings I am getting a kernel panic using the -v and -f boot flags. Im not too sure what the kernel panic is for but I will continue to investigate.