nForce OS X Yosemite (10.10) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

112 posts in this topic

@ bankkopf

1. I am assuming that you mean that using a USB keyboard and USB mouse does not work?

What error messages do you see when booting the USB flash drive installer with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048?

2. Have you tried extracting a DSDT file using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later.

The extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools, so send me a download link for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

Alternatively, extract your DSDT off the Asus p5ne-SLI using Windows 7 via Aida64 (Engineer or Business versions) using Tools > ACPI Browser > Save DSDT, or  via ReadWrite Utility using Access > ACPI Tables > DSDT, and then save as a binary file (.bin)....send me a download link for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

3. Also check your 630i BIOS settings against my OS X  630i settings template: Pre_Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2-1.pdf

It is a composite list BUT you should be able to see which ones of the listed parameters match their particular BIOS parameters......

4. Also see here and here.....

• Like 1

Hi,

first thanks for your answer. This is the package of the DSDT extracted with ubuntu and Aida64, a system report is included.

I matched the Bios Settings where possible but still to no avail.

Booting with your flags crashes the Boot process with USB Error but the letters on screen get blurry and are unreadable.

Thanks for your help in advance.

@ bankkopf

Here is your OS X renamed and DTGP RTC TIMR and IPIC patched DSDT.aml file, ready for further patching as required:

OS X Renamed Patched DSDT DTGP RTC TIMR IPIC.zip

You have a fully AHCI-compliant nForce MCP73 630i chipset MOBO which may not require the AppleNForceATA.kext, so you should hopefully be able to follow the guides in the links given in point 4. in my previous post, but first try the AppleNForceATA.kext from here....

Also, try with a PATA (IDE) DVDRW drive connected with a 80-wire IDE cable and jumper-set as Master if you have access to one....

Oops! I forgot to say that the IDE DVDRW should be tried instead of a SATA DVDRW if that is what your PC currently has.

Edited by verdant
  • Like 1

Hi verdant,

thanks for the patched DSDT. It works for fine Yosemite. The problem is, I had to use a HDD with already installed OSX to be successful. Then it would only boot with Clover, without any NforceATA.kext or drive beside the one HDD plugged in.

When trying to boot via Chameleon, either NforceATA failed to load with an error related to IOATAFamily.kext and get stucked at "Still waiting for Root Device" or I would still get stuck, independent from whether I attached it directly to the SATA port or via USB with or without plugged in IDE DVD drive.

Trying to install, it will boot with Clover to the screen, where I have to choose the language, but no USB Mice or Keyboard will be recognized, therefore being stuck at that screen. I'm going to try figure it out when I got more time to spare. Anyways thanks again for your efforts!

Never mind the installation problem: Got it fixed by creating an Installer stick from scratch after messing up the old one. Now it works fine even with an  IDE HDD. Thanks again for your DSDT. 

Edited by bankkopf

@ bankkopf

Glad to know DSDT works fine.....:)

Good to know you got the installer fixed......do you need the AppleNForceATA.kext to boot OS X OK?

AppleNforceATA.kext is not required to boot from SATA drive. Setting SATA mode to AHCI in Bios is perfectly enough to make the system boot.
Currently, I am only running into a problem when using a PATA HDD for installing (Install will crash at reboot screen in the end) when NForceATA is loaded but gets stuck after initializing the chipset, as I have no spare SATA drive right now. But that thing I will probably try to figure out later.

• 2 months later...

@ BSSDT

I have reloaded the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.zip file as an active download link (previous file lost in IM server crash?)......:)

Hi what update combo 10.10.x have you guys installed? right now im working in 10.10.1 and they just released 10.10.3 i tried to update from my backup but it kernel panic when vm swap on is enabled.

any comments will be great

@ Kilopopo

I am running OS X 10.10.2 but had to modify the Combo Update pkg to install it following the macissues procedure…..see here.

@ Kilopopo

I am using Chameleon v2.2svn r2401 and am now running 10.10.3.

• 1 month later...

1. My system does not recognize the SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 120G)

thinks it in the usual HDD, respectively TRIM does not work
because TRIM is enabled after patch IOAHCIFamily.kext and I have it running through AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext)
Can I fix it?

2. I read somewhere that OSX works differently on the SSD (cashes, swapfile ....)
Does anyone know how it differently and what that means?

Furthermore, the MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the enable nForce SATA Controller and require SATA RAID to be Enabled (implicitly enabling AHCI mode) even when not running a RAID system

how to check the AHCI working or not?

- Asus Striker II Formula (nForce 780i SLI) ACPI BIOS Revision 2402

- Intel Dual-Core E6700
- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
Yosemite 10.10.3
- Clover r3202
- DSDT
- FakeSMC.kext
- AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

9a8bc140911da4f9.png

ad3d6d83b4b557aa.png

@ Yura Besaga

3. Check your 780i BIOS settings against:

Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

2. I do not have a SDD installed on my nForce MOBO.......but see here.....

1. See here for running SSD on nForce chipset MOBO......

• Like 1

3. Check your 780i BIOS settings against:

attachicon.gif Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

3. I can not understand why need to Disabled

- (Enhanced C1) C1E Enhanced Halt State

- Virtualization Technology

- (Enhanced) Intel SpeedStep

2. I do not have a SDD installed on my nForce MOBO.......but see here.....

1. See here for running SSD on nForce chipset MOBO......

2. This program makes the same patch IOAHCIFamily.kext and I have it running through AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

Displays in the System Report empty 

as I think, should be "Generic AHCI Controller" and "Vendor: Generic"

post-760935-0-48941100-1432577228_thumb.png

post-760935-0-28289300-1432577236_thumb.png

@ Yura Besaga

3. They are set at DISABLED for initial OS X setup but if your DSDT.aml is already modified to enable OS X natural power management and you have removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ (and/or from /Extra/Extensions/ if you are using the Chameleon kernel patch option), then you can set:

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [ENABLED]
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [ENABLED]
HPET Support [ENABLED]

2. That is why I suggest using the SATA PCIe card for running your SSD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ anyone running nForce chipset MOBO

I am now running OS X 10.10.4 but again had to modify the Combo Update pkg to install it following the macissues procedure…..see here.

Once 10.11 (El Capitan) is officially released, I  will be busy with it...... ;)

• 6 months later...

i need some help understanding how to do this part….

N.B.4. The 'Kernel' key string MUST BE CHANGED from 

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

to

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

N.B.5. The 'Kernel Flags' key string MUST BE CHANGED from 

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v kext-dev-mode=1</string>

These are strings in org.chameleon.Boot.plist that can be modified using your favourite .plist editor, e.g. I like Text Wrangler, or you can use TextMate, Property List Editor etc.

• Like 1

could you clarify this? where am i looking for the "kernel"?

N.B.2. The kernel file is no longer called 'mach_kernel' but simply 'kernel'; nor is it located in the BaseSystemBinaries.pkg anymore.  

It now has to be extracted using Pacifist from the Contents of Essential.pkg (which is within the Contents of EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup package folder, which itself is within the Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware package folder), where it resides in System/Library/Kernels.

You have to use Pacifist to open up InstallESD.dmg from:

Install OS X Yosemite.app and right-click to Show Package Contents:

post-200327-0-78267500-1453804672.png

The use Pacifist Open Package option to view InstallESD.dmg disk image contents:

post-200327-0-41823500-1453804690_thumb.png

and within the System folder:

post-200327-0-76478400-1453804704_thumb.png

and extract kernel:

post-200327-0-25745500-1453805212_thumb.png

to Custom Location i.e. your USB drive as per my Install Guide:

[8] Go to /System/Library of the OS X Base System volume, and in the Library directory, create a new folder called Kernels.

Use Pacifist (current version is Pacifist 3.2.17) to extract the kernel file to the newly created Kernels directory, i.e. /System/Library/Kernels of the OS X Base System USB flash drive volume.