nForce OS X Yosemite (10.10) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

112 posts in this topic

nForce OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE
on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

(and some other BIOS-based MOBOs as well, e.g. P5Q, P5Q Pro, P5Q-E.....)

INTRODUCTION

A. Guide Structure:

The guide is split into sections and sub-sections (from post #1 to post #6) for ease of following and adding to....

Post #1 DOWNLOADS

Post # 2 Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer

Post # 3 Installing a Bootable OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) System on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using a Bootable GPT/MBR USB Flash Drive OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) Installer

Post #3 Cloning a Bootable OX Yosemite 10.10 system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume

Post #4 OS X Yosemite Installation / Boot / Operation Issues

Issue 1. [PCI configuration begin] bootup error

Issue 2. Booting via the Chameleon boot loader installed on an Advanced Format (AF) hard drive

Post #5 How to Enable Natural Power Management ("vanilla SpeedStepping") in OS X Yosemite on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

Post #6 Getting Audio Working in OS X Yosemite

It is a "live guide" that will evolve with both Yosemite and time (with some inevitable typo corrections, additions, deletions etc.).......

So, please read the current online "live" guide before attempting to follow it, even if you had previously followed an earlier version successfully.....

A. Guide applicability:

1. Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBOs

This guide is primarily focussed on installing and running OS X Yosemite on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU BIOS-based MOBOs with an nVidia graphics card.

{a} This is simply because I have a 650i nForce chipset + Intel Q6600 CPU MOBO + Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card........but what works for the 650i should and invariably does work for the 650i Ultra, 680i, 750i, 780i, 790i, and 790i Ultra.....hence my topic tags.... :)

{b} Note that in my topic tags, I say that this guide may only possibly be applicable to the  630i chipset.

This is because it is still my current understanding is that the following nForce chipsets are not fully AHCI compliant and so can be used with imk's 64bit version of the always mentioned nForceATA.kext:

nForce 430/410 (MCP51), nForce 590/570/550/680i/650i/780i/750i/790i (MCP55) and nForce 430/405/400 (MCP61); nForce 560/520 (MCP65) and nForce 630a (MCP67)

Furthermore, the MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the enable nForce SATA Controller and require SATA RAID to be Enabled (implicitly enabling AHCI mode) even when not running a RAID system, for the NForceATA.kext to work.

In contrast, the following nForce chipsets are/may be fully-AHCI compliant and so do not/may not work with the AppleNForceATA.kext:

nForce 560/520 (MCP65) and nForce 630a (MCP67); nForce 630i/620i/610i (MCP73), nForce 730a/720a/710a (MCP78) and nForce ION (MCP79) nForce chipsets (MCP65 and higher) support the advanced SATA features in the AHCI standard, such as NCQ etc.

The MOBOs using one of these nForce chipsets usually have the BIOS option to set the nForce SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode" instead of "IDE Mode".

{c} As I use an nVidia graphics card, the guide is naturally written from an nVidia perspective; nevertheless, I hope that owners of a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO with an ATI graphics card will use it too.

For help with:

(i) AMD/ATI graphics cards, IM is your friend...... :)

(ii) For help with mixed multiple AMD/ATI and/or nVidia graphics cards and /or multiple displays, Google is your friend......as are aqua-mac, netkas, and others....... ;)

2. Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

Non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs users may also be able to use the guide, or at least also find it interesting and even helpful in places too....... :)

I say this because:

{a} Each reader's MOBO brand/model typically has to have its own custom setup for DSDT/audio/networking/video etc.

{b} It is primarily the need for the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/ Extensions/, as well not being able to use a SleepEnabler.kext and having issues with sleep that distinguishes nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs from non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs rather than the basic procedures for installing OS X.........

Hence,  I have also used my USB installer (produced using this guide) with just a DSDT.aml file swap (as any nForce chipset-specific kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are not loaded into the kernel when OS X is running on a non-nForce chipset MOBO) to suit each MOBO, to install OS X 10.10 onto my Asus P5Q Pro MOBO and my Asus P5Q E MOBO...... :geek: .

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

PLEASE NOTE that ALL CREDIT goes (in no particular order and both historically and currently) the original developers of the included applications/kexts/bootloaders and boot files etc:

In /System/Library/Extensions/

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - David Elliott
AD1998b.FIX.kext - THe KiNG
AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext - MeDevil for original kext AND imk for the working 64bit version
EvOreboot.kext - EvO Team
FakeSMC.kext – netkas, Slice
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext – eno
VoodooHDA patched for AD1988B (also works with AD2000B) - oldnalpalm

In boot sector, / and in /Extra/

Chameleon 2.3 svn r2401

Thanks to everyone involved in the development of Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401, making it a compatible bootloader for Yosemite......!

Yosemite boot support starting from Chameleon revision 2381

Credits to:
- Pike R. Alpha
- ErmaC
- Bungo
- blackosx
- Micky1979
- crazybirdy
- oldnapalm
- janek202
- MinusZwei
- Andy Vandijck

Credits to Chameleon Team http://forum.voodooprojects.org

Thanks also to MaLd0n for the MacPro3,1 SMBIOS.plist

Thanks also to oldnapalm for the Yosemite MBR Patch 10.10 (14A389)

Apologies to anyone I have forgotten, or do not know to mention, or have yet to mention in the above credits......

DOWNLOADS

Insanelymac Download Link for verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0

verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.zip

verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 Contents

>> 64bit Kexts for /System/Library/Extensions/
ACPIMonitor.kext
AD1998b.FIX.kext
AppleHDA.1062.kext
AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext
AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext (using patch by Marchrius)
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
IntelThermal.kext
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
NVClockX.kext
NVEnabler 64.kext
SuperIOFamily.kext
VoodooHDA.kext (patched for AD1988B by oldnapalm)

>> Applications
Chameleon Wizard
Kext Wizard
SMC Monitor

>> Chameleon Bootloader
Chameleon Bootloader Insanelymac Download Link

>> Changelog for verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.rtf

>> EFI Graphics String Apps
EFIStudio_GTX.zip
EFIStudio.1.1.zip
OSX86Tools_1.0.150.zip
plist_gfxutil.zip

>> FakeSMC
FakeSMC (3.1.0) - Revision 493. Made by mojodojo
Release 10.6 - only use the HWSensor kexts appropriate for your hardware
SMC_Stat_i - this is a SMC monitor menu bar app

>> MaLd0n Extra Folder
Extra_Folder.zip - this is the .zip file for MaLd0n's Extra Folder.pkg

>> Pure 64bit Extra Kexts
AHCIPortInjector.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
ApplePS2Mouse.kext
ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
ATAPortInjector.kext
AtherosFix.kext
FakeSMC.kext
JMicron36xATA.kext
JMicron36xSATA.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext

• Like 2

Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer

Stage 1 - Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer

1. You will need:

[1] Access to a working Mac or Hack x86 OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x or OS X Lion 10.7.x or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x or OS X Mavericks 10.9.x

(I am assuming that you already have OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or OS X Lion 10.7.5 or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 or OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 installed and running)

[2] A 8GB USB flash drive (memory stick)

[3] To be able to download OS X Yosemite (FREE RETAIL) from the Apple App Store.

[4] To download my "verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0.zip" folder

2. Preparing the USB flash drive as a Mac bootable device volume

[1] Plug in the USB flash drive and then using the Disk Utility app of your running OS X system, partition/format it as a single GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_Yosemite_USB_Installer (or your chosen name without spaces) as follows:

In the Disk Utility sidebar, highlight your USB flash drive device icon

In the Disk Utility main window, click on the Partition tab and select to partition as 1 volume, using a name with no spaces and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Then click on Options button -> select GUID Partition Table (GPT) -> click Apply

Doing this will make the USB flash drive bootable on a Mac. Note that this operation will erase everything on the drive.

3. Extracting Necessary Files from Yosemite Installer App

The “Install OS X Yosemite.app” installer app is downloaded into the Applications folder of your running OS X system. DO NOT double-click on its icon in the Applications folder.

If “Install OS X Yosemite.app” installer app icon shows up in the Dock, then DO NOT click on the icon NOR right-click on the icon and select Open.

[1] Go to the Applications folder of your running OS X system and find Install OS X Yosemite.app WITHOUT clicking on the icon NOR right-click on the icon and selecting Open.

[2] Unhide all files via a Terminal command:

Terminal commands to show/hide hidden and system files:

To show hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

To hide hidden and system files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Or, you can download and run TinkerTool ......select the Finder options: 'Show hidden and system files' option and then click Relaunch Finder to unhide......and deselect the Finder options: 'Show hidden and system files' option and then click Relaunch Finder to hide......

[3] Right-click on the Install OS X Yosemite.app installer icon and select Show Package Contents.

Open the Contents folder and the SharedSupport folder within it, and look for InstallESD.dmg

[4] Open i.e. mount InstallESD.dmg and look for BaseSystem.dmg……LEAVE the Mac OS X Install ESD window open…….

[5] In the Disk Utility main window, click on the Restore tab to load the BaseSystem.dmg onto the OSX_Yosemite_USB_Installer volume.....doing this puts a base OS X Yosemite system on the USB flash drive volume……

Choose the BaseSystem.dmg file as the Source by 'drag and dropping' it from the Mac OS X Install ESD window into the Source Window (note that a '+ in green circle' appears momentarily)

Choose your USB flash drive volume icon as the Destination by 'drag and dropping' it from the Disk Utility sidebar into the Destination window (note that a '+ in green circle' appears momentarily).

Click the Apply button and it will create your bootable USB drive. Note that Erase destination checkbox will be ticked by default, or applied by default.

The USB flash drive device name will be automatically changed to OS X Base System in the sidebar……

[6] On the USB flash drive volume, open the System folder and double-click on the Installation folder within it…..this opens an Installation folder window….

Right-click on the Packages alias icon and select Move to Trash

Go to the open Mac OS X Install ESD window and 'drag and drop' the Packages folder in the window into the open Installation folder window……the 4.72 GB Packages folder will take about 10 or so minutes to copy over……

[7] Now go to the open Mac OS X Install ESD window again and copy the BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg files over to the OSX_Yosemite_USB_Installer volume.

N.B.1. If you forget to copy over these two BaseSystem files, then when you run the OS X Yosemite Installer from your USB Installer, it will 'freeze' with an 'Undefined error: 0' warning / error message.

[8] Go to /System/Library of the OS X Base System volume, and in the Library directory, create a new folder called Kernels.

Use Pacifist (current version is Pacifist 3.2.17) to extract the kernel file to the newly created Kernels directory, i.e. /System/Library/Kernels of the OS X Base System USB flash drive volume.

N.B.2. The kernel file is no longer called 'mach_kernel' but simply 'kernel'; nor is it located in the BaseSystemBinaries.pkg anymore.  

It now has to be extracted using Pacifist from the Contents of Essential.pkg (which is within the Contents of EssentialSystemSoftwareGroup package folder, which itself is within the Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware package folder), where it resides in System/Library/Kernels.

N.B.3. The USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions folder does not contain all the graphics kexts that the installed OS X Yosemite /System/Library/Extensions folder does. The OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions folder is missing the following kexts, bundles and plugins:

AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle
AMDRadeonX3000.kext
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
AMDRadeonX4000.kext
AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHSWVA.bundle
AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle
ATIRadeonX2000.kext
ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle
GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle

Thus, depending on your installed graphics card i.e. nVidia or ATI, you may need to use Pacifist to extract the relevant kexts, bundles and plugin from /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg into the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions folder, in order for your GPU and display to function properly when booting from the Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer, i.e. not present you with a black display screen at worst, or less worse, an incorrect and fixed display resolution, on reaching the OS X Yosemite Installer window.

Since I have an Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card, I had to extract the following files into my USB flash drive OS X Base System volume /System/Library/Extensions folder, so that booting the USB installer did not just present me with a black display screen on reaching the OS X Yosemite Installer window:

GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle

Please be note that being able to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist for the same graphics card under different OS X versions via different Chameleon bootloader versions/revisions is not a given.

For example, with my Inno3D GeForce 9800GT 512MB graphics card, to get full CI/QE and changeable display resolutions, the situation is as follows:

OS X Leopard 10.5.8 - GraphicsEnabler=No and NVEnabler.kext
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - GraphicsEnabler=Yes and so no NVinjector kext such as NVEnabler64.kext
OS X Lion 10.7.5 - GraphicsEnabler=No and NVEnabler64.kext
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 - GraphicsEnabler=No and either a <key>device-properties</key> custom hex entry in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, that I generated using OSX86 Tools, or NVEnabler 64.kext, or DSDT GFX0 section patch.
OS X Mavericks 10.9 - GraphicsEnabler=No and a DSDT GFX0 section patch.

OS X Yosemite 10.10 - GraphicsEnabler=No and a DSDT GFX0 section patch.

4. Installing the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 bootloader and necessary /Extra and directory files onto the partitioned/formatted Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer

[1] Download Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 and run the Chameleon-2.2svn-r2401.pkg installer and click on the Continue button in the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 Bootloader Installer window........then click Continue and Continue again and Agree.... then in the Standard Install window click Change Install Location and select the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume in the Select a Destination window and click Continue.....then click Install.....after a hopefully successful install, click Close....

[2] Go back to the open OS X Base System Window....the Chameleon bootloader installer should have created the /Extra folder……BUT you may have to create them manually afterward (as I did)……

[3] Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, or Mavericks system, your MOBO's OS X DSDT.aml file into the open target HDD OS X Yosemite window, i.e. the target HDD volume's root i.e. / directory…….

[4] Copy across from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, or from the verdant_Mavericks_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /Extra/ on the USB flash drive Mac OS X Base System volume, the following .plist files:

(i) smbios.plist for MacPro3,1 (use the one from MaLd0n's Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, DP4, GM and FINAL topic....), or whatever MacProx,y designation matches your CPU....

(ii) org.chameleon.Boot.plist (assuming that you are using a recent/current Chameleon boot loader version later than v2.0 r11xx, or a version 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3 revision)

N.B.4. The 'Kernel' key string MUST BE CHANGED from 

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

to

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

N.B.5. The 'Kernel Flags' key string MUST BE CHANGED from 

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v kext-dev-mode=1</string>

The -v flag is optional, but I always include it as I like to follow the boot process progress.....

(iii) modules folder (containing e.g. FileNVRAM.dylib)

Also copy across (if you wish) your Chameleon bootloader Themes folder from your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion, or Mavericks system......

[5] Copy the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or in /System/Library/Extensions on your Lion system, or Mountain Lion system, or Mavericks system, or from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume.....

FakeSMC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - ONLY if you are NOT booting your USB OS X Base System Flash Drive installer with your MOBOs DSDT.aml file, that is patched for OS X Natural Power Management, in the root directory

VoodooHDA.kext (for AD1998b) - ONLY if this is the audio chipset/codec of your nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

You may also have FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in in /Extra/Extensions on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or in /System/Library/Extensions on your Lion system, or Mountain Lion System, or Mavericks system....

Note the later versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext v3.0 and later by mojodojo can function from /Extra/Extensions or from /System/Library/Extensions but be aware that earlier versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext can only function from /System/Library/Extensions - hence step [6] below:

[6] If you have FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/Extensions on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion system, or Mavericks system, then these need to copied from there, or from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume……

[7] Having added FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext to /System/Library/Extensions on the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume, you need to use Terminal to reset the kexts ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file etc.....alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

followed by

sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

[8] Close all open folders within the OS X Base System folder and in the Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

[9] Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete all the files within Startup, e.g. kernelcache

[10] Close the OS X Base System Window and boot from the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the USB OS X Base System Flash Drive and pressing Enter.

[11] At the Chameleon boot prompt, type -v -f and press Enter.

[12] If you experience the [PCI configuration begin] error on booting from the USB OS X Base System Flash Drive installer, then see see post #4, which gives a solution(s) to this error.......

Stage 2 - Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Mavericks 10.9 Installer

The following procedure assumes that you have already followed "Part B. Making a Bootable GPT Partitioned USB Flash Drive GPT/MBR OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer" Stage 1 of this guide, and so now have a working bootable GPT USB Flash Drive GPT OS X Yosemite 10.10 Installer......

In order for you to install OS X Yosemite 10.10 onto your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as MBR/HFS+, you need to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg package and OSInstall Unix executable file in place of the ones that the OS X Yosemite Installer on your bootable GPT USB Flash Drive Installer uses for installing OS X Yosemite to a target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as GPT/HFS+.......

I have used the OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstall framework which have been MBR patched for OS X Yosemite 10.10 by oldnapalm (based on nawcom's preceding work I believe).

While the OSInstall.mpkg patch is not needed for MBR installation, its purpose is to  remove the minimum RAM and supported platform i.e. Board-ID checks.

The procedure for installing the oldnapalm MBR modified OS X Yosemite OSInstall.mpkg package and the oldnapalm MBR modified OSInstall Unix executable file on your bootable GPT USB Flash Drive Installer in place of the original OS X Yosemite Installer versions is as follows:

[1] Download and unarchive the Yosemite_10.10_MBR_Patch.tar file.

The unarchived Yosemite MBR Patch 10.10 (14A389) folder contains the MBR modified OS X Yosemite OSInstall.mpkg package and OSInstall Unix executable file.

[2] Unhide the hidden and systems files on your OS X Yosemite USB Flash Drive Installer, named OS X Base System, using Terminal commands or Tinker Tool.

[3] Go to Terminal and then:

(i) Either type:

cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

or type

cd

and press the 'Space Bar', and then having navigated to System, then to Installation, then to Packages, 'drag and drop' the Packages folder into Terminal……

(ii) Type the following:

sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg OSInstall.mpkg.GPT
ls

Note that you have now renamed the original file as shown by the 'ls' command…..

(iii) Either type:

cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A

or type

cd

and press the 'Space Bar', and then having navigated to System, then to Library, then to PrivateFrameworks, then to OSInstaller.framework, then to Versions, and finally to the A folder, 'drag and drop' the A folder into Terminal……

(iv) Type the following:

sudo mv OSInstaller OSInstaller.GPT
ls
exit

Note that you have now renamed the original file as shown by the 'ls' command…..

As a reminder if ever you wish to revert back to the original GPT installer versions......simply rename the original files by removing the .GPT extensions after having renamed the patched files with the .MBR extension, via Terminal:

cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg OSInstall.mpkg.MBR
sudo mv OSInstall.mpkg.GPT OSInstall.mpkg

followed by

cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A
sudo mv OSInstaller OSInstaller.MBR
sudo mv OSInstaller.GPT OSInstaller
exit

[4] Now 'drag and drop' the OSInstall.mpkg into /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages .....(or use the 'cp' command via Terminal):

sudo cp -p -R /Users/"Username"/Desktop/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

[5] Then 'drag and drop' OSInstaller into /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A......(or use the 'cp' command via Terminal):

sudo cp -p -R /Users/"Username"/Desktop/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A

[6] Close all windows.......

[7] Now follow the instructions in post #3 to install OS X Yosemite onto your target HDD volume partitioned/formatted as either GPT/HFS+ or as MBR/HFS+.

• Like 1

Installing a Bootable OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) System on either a GPT Partitioned Hard Drive Volume OR a MBR Partitioned Hard Drive Volume Using a Bootable GPT/MBR USB Flash Drive OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) Installer

[1] Use the running OS X Snow Leopard, or Lion, or Mountain Lion, or Mavericks Disk Utility to partition/format your target HDD volume for OS X 10.10 as a EITHER

a GPT/HFS+ volume named OSX_10.10_GPT_A (or your chosen name without spaces)

OR

a MBR/HFS+ volume named OSX_10.10_MBR_A (or your chosen name without spaces)

VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK : OS X target HDD ownership

Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop, and select Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on the padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

Then to ensure that the target OS X HDD volume's root directory is owned by the root user, go to Terminal and type: (note that using 0:0 is equivalent to using root:wheel)

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

This is to make certain that the permissions are not scrambled after the installation of OS X.....and hence that you are able to boot from the OS X 10.10 hard drive........

[2] Now close all open windows on the Snow Leopard or Lion or Mountain Lion or Mavericks Desktop and any open applications.......

Reboot your PC and press the F8 key (or whichever key you need to) IMMEDIATELY after the message "Press DEL to enter SETUP, Press TAB to display BIOS POST message" or similar appears on-screen, in order to bring up the message "Loading Boot Menu......"

When the PC BIOS "Boot Menu" window appears on-screen, select the USB flash drive OS X Yosemite installer from the list of bootable drives presented in the "Boot Menu", and press Enter......

OR

Choose it from the list of bootable volumes presented by the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 bootloader.....

Boot from the USB flash drive OS X Base System volume using the -v -f boot flags (the -f boot flag ensures that no freezing occurs when the boot process reaches the GUI - strange but true, since theoretically, the -f boot flag should no longer work now since OS X Lion, the kext cache was replaced by the kernel cache) and follow the onscreen OS X Installer instructions to install OS X Yosemite onto the target HDD volume.....

[3] Re-boot back into OS X Snow Leopard or OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion or OS X Mavericks and run the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 pkg installer (download from link given in post #2) and click on the Continue button in the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 bootloader Installer window…….then click Continue and Continue again and Agree…..then in the Standard Install window click Change Install Location and select the target HDD OS X Yosemite volume icon in the Select a Destination window and click Continue……then click Install…..after a hopefully successful install, click Close....

[4] Set up your video driver as you have done for running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard in 64bit mode or OS X Lion 10.7.5 or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5, or OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 in default 64bit mode......

[5] Go back to the open target HDD OS X Yosemite System window……the Chameleon bootloader installer should have created the /Extra directory and sub-folders……

BUT you may have to create them manually afterward……

[6] Copy across from your running 64bit mode OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system, or running OS X Lion 10.7.5 system, or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5, or OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 system, the DSDT.aml file into the open target HDD OS X Yosemite System Window, i.e. the target HDD volume's / directory.....

[7] Copy across from your running 64bit mode OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system, or running OS X Lion 10.7.5 system, or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 system, or OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 system into /Extra on the target HDD volume, the following .plist files:

smbios.plist for MacPro3,1 (use the one from MaLd0n's Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon, DP4, GM and FINAL topic....), or whatever MacProx,y designation matches your CPU....

org.chameleon.Boot.plist ( use the one on your bootable GPT/MBR USB flash drive OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10) installer

DO NOT FORGET :

The 'Kernel' key string MUST BE CHANGED from

<key>Kernel</key>

to

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

OR, (which is necessary with Advanced Format hard drives), the entire pre-OS X 10.10 'Kernel' key string 

<key>Kernel</key>

SHOULD BE REMOVED from org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and FURTHERMORE, the 'UseKernelCache" key string 

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

SHOULD BE REMOVED from org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

The 'Kernel Flags' key string MUST BE CHANGED from

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Later versions of Chameleon 2.3svn will most likely inject kext-dev-mode=1 automatically so that it is no longer needed as an explicit 'Kernel Flag'......

The -v flag is optional, but I always include it as I like to follow the boot process progress.....

Also copy across (if you wish) your Chameleon bootloader Themes folder from your running 64bit mode OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system, or running OS X Lion 10.7.5 system, or OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 system, or OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 system, or from the folder....

[8] Copy the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard, or in /System/Library/Extensions on your running Lion or Mountain Lion system, or Mavericks system, or from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system Window......

FakeSMC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext    (NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not present or needed if you have already enabled, or are going to enable, Natural Power Management i.e. "vanilla SpeedStepping")

AD1998b.FIX.kext or VoodooHDA.kext    (AD1998b.FIX.kext or VoodooHDA.kext are only present or needed if AD1988b is the audio chipset/codec of your nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO)

Then also copy the AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite System Window…

Alternatively, you can directly patch the installed OS X Yosemite AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system Window, by running this perl script (courtesy of rayap, old napalm, and now Marchrius for  Yosemite) in Terminal, which has been posted by Marchrius, which forces an unconditional jump over the rtcWrites() in updateChecksum() to prevent CMOS Resets:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

N.B. If you have added the AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window,

then to ensure that this is the RTC kext that is loaded, rename the installed OS X Yosemite AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window using the Terminal as follows:

sudo mv /Volumes/"your target OS X Yosemite HDD volume name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext /Volumes/"your target OS X Yosemite HDD volume name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext_Original

Note the later versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext v3.0 and later by mojodojo can function from /Extra/Extensions or from /System/Library/Extensions but be aware that earlier versions/revisions of FakeSMC.kext can only function from /System/Library/Extensions - hence step [9] below:

[9] If you have FakeSMC.kext and nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/Extensions on your running 64bit mode Snow Leopard system, or in /System/Library/Extensions on your running Lion, or Mountain Lion, or Yosemite system, then these kexts need to copied from there, or from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite System window……

[10] Having added these non-vanilla, i.e. non- Apple kexts, plus any others specific to your system; for example, I have added:

ACPIMonitor.kext
AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
IntelThermal.kext
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
NVClockX.kext
SuperIOFamily.kext
VoodooHDA.kext

to /System/Library/Extensions on the open target HDD OS X Yosemite System Window, you need to use Terminal to reset the kexts ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file……alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files present within Startup….

invalidsignedkextalert.plist
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz
loadedkextmt.plist

[11] Close the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window and boot from the target hard drive OS X Yosemite System volume......

Now you need to again use Terminal to reset the kexts' ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file etc.....alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:

exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

kernelcache
loadedkextmt.plist

[12] If you find that on shutting down OS X Yosemite and rebooting, that the CMOS has been "wiped clean" of your custom BIOS settings profile and the BIOS has reverted to using the in-built default BIOS settings, then reload your backed-up custom BIOS settings profile from its source (e.g. USB flash drive) and boot back into OS X Yosemite......

If this happens, then you have either

(i) not copied the AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window, or

(ii) not directly patched the installed OS X Yosemite AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window, by running this perl script (courtesy of rayap, old napalm, and now Marchrius for  Yosemite) in Terminal, which has been posted by Marchrius, which forces an unconditional jump over the rtcWrites() in updateChecksum() to prevent CMOS Resets:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

N.B. If you have added the AppleRTC.Yosemite.Patched.kext from the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window,

then to ensure that this is the RTC kext that is loaded, rename the installed OS X Yosemite AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions in the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window using the Terminal as follows:

sudo mv /Volumes/"your target OS X Yosemite HDD volume name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext /Volumes/"your target OS X Yosemite HDD volume name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext_Original

Now you need to again use Terminal to reset the kexts' ownership and permissions and rebuild the kernelcache file etc.....alternatively, you can use janek202's Kext Wizard for a Terminal-free life.......

In Terminal type:

exit

Close Terminal and then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

kernelcache
loadedkextmt.plist

[13] Close the open target HDD OS X Yosemite system window and re-boot from the target hard drive OS X Yosemite System volume......

[14] Use the OS X Yosemite Disk Utility to repair the OS X Yosemite HDD system permissions......

N.B. If you experience the [PCI configuration begin] error on booting from the OS X Mountain Lion System installed on your target HDD volume, then see post #4, which gives a proposed solution(s) to this error.......

Cloning a Bootable OX Yosemite 10.10 system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume

1. Simply use OS X Disk utility, or Carbon Copy Cloner, to clone a OX Yosemite 10.10 system installed on a GPT/HFS+ HDD (e.g. external USB HDD) to your internal HDD MBR/HFS+ OS X target volume........

2. Install the Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401 bootloader to your OS X Yosemite MBR/HFS+ partition/volume after cloning the OS X Yosemite system on your GPT/HFS+ HDD to your OS X Yosemite MBR/HFS+ partition/volume

3. Boot into the OS X Yosemite 10.10 system just installed on the MBR/HFS+ partition/volume.....

• Like 1

OS X Yosemite Installation / Boot / Operation Issues

Note: I will indicate if I have experienced any of these issues with a * in front of Issue, and hence will say which if any of the proposed solutions have worked for me.....

If there is no * then because I may not be able to generate or replicate the issue on my system, I cannot vouch that any of the proposed solutions will work for you.......

Issue 1. [PCI configuration begin] bootup error

Some OSx86 / Hackintosh users may see the following error when trying to install OS X Yosemite (and also in previous OS X versions)

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers
AppleKeyStore starting (BUILT: Sep 19 2014 00:11:30)
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: sleep states S3 S4 S5
pci (build 00:11:20 Sep 19 2014), flags 0xe3000, pfm64 (36 cpu) 0xf80000000, 0x80000000

the key element being the appearance of [PCI Configuration begin] on screen, followed by a freeze.....

However, regarding the [PCI Configuration begin] problem, there are two distinct issues with different solutions:

Case 1. Computer freeze at PCI Bus Start message, [PCI Configuration begin].....

The apparent solution is given by THe KING in the Project OS X Forum in the Hpcompaq Mini 311, HPCompaq Mini 311 Development topic (post #328)......it involves a DSDT mod......the _BBN method must be removed from the PCI0 device and added to the IXVE bridge and root ports, and FakeSMC plugins removed too.....

Case 2. There is a display freeze after PCI Configuration Begin but booting continues with a problem until the Desktop shows, meaning that you can no longer use Single User Mode nor follow the boot process in verbose mode.......nor see anything else onscreen until the Desktop appears......

Solution 1: Modify org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Have you tried this proposed solution in OS X Yosemite and does it work? Please post if it works for you with Yosemite 10.10

Insert npci=0x3000 (or if that does not work, try npci=0x2000) into Kernel Flags string of org.chameleon.Boot.plist in Extra of the USB flash drive installer (and of the target OS X Yosemite HDD volume if the same problem is found to occur when later booting from the OS X Yosemite HDD volume).

Change Kernel Flags of org.chameleon.Boot.plist as follows; from

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 -v</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x3000 -v</string>

Issue 2. Booting via the Chameleon boot loader installed on an Advanced Format (AF) hard drive

In order to boot an Advanced Format (AF) hard drive using the Chameleon boot loader installed on the hard drive, the following steps need to be carried out.

Advanced Format (AF) hard drives have 4096 byte (4K) sectors, which is the equivalent of putting eight historical (512-byte) sectors into one new 4K sector (as 4K sectors are increasingly more efficient to use as the hard drive capacity increases above 500 GB, particularly 2 TB and above; this is because by using a longer sector, the drive uses proportionally less space to store the same amount of information resulting in a format efficiency improvement, and at the same time a larger and more powerful error correction code (ECC) can be utilized, providing better integrity of user data.

Firstly, the Chameleon boot loader requires the boot1h file to be manually written to the boot sector of the OS X system volume on the Advanced Format (AF) hard drive using Terminal commands.

1. Download the required Chameleon boot loader standalone i386 folder to Downloads

2. In Terminal, type:

cd /Users/"Username"/Downloads/i386
sudo su
diskutil list

See an example of the diskutil list output.....

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                                             SIZE              IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                                            *750.2 GB           disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                                                      209.7 MB           disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX64_1068_Boot         15.0 GB           disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX64_1068                 150.0 GB          disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX64_1010                 149.5 GB          disk0s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD                                650.0 MB          disk0s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX64_1085                 150.0 GB          disk0s6
   7:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX64_1095                 150.0 GB          disk0s7
   8:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX32_1068                   67.1 GB          disk0s8
   9:                  Apple_HFS Sam750_OSX32_1058                   66.9 GB          disk0s9

diskutil unmount /dev/rdiskXsY
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=4096

where X and Y are given by diskXsY in the IDENTIFIER column of the diskutil list output.....

Check that the boot1h has been written to the boot sector:

dd if=/dev/rdiskXsY of=testfile bs=512 count=2

If you run this command right after the installation you shouldsee some text in testfile, which is located in your User directory:

ú1À.......errorbootUª

3. The entire pre-OS X 10.10 'Kernel' key string

<key>Kernel</key>

SHOULD BE REMOVED from org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and FURTHERMORE, the 'UseKernelCache" key string

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

SHOULD BE REMOVED, if present, from org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

The 'Kernel Flags' key string MUST BE CHANGED from

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Later versions of Chameleon 2.3svn will most likely inject kext-dev-mode=1 automatically so that it is no longer needed as an explicit 'Kernel Flag'......

• Like 1

How to Enable Natural Power Management ("vanilla SpeedStepping") in OS X Yosemite on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO

The modifications described below are what works for my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, and some are the same as those in the DSDT.aml files that I have for a nForce 790i MOBO and a nForce 680i MOBO.....

HOWEVER, the DSDT.aml is invariably MOBO brand/model specific and so what I have written below may well need adapting for use in your own nForce chipset MOBO, unless of course, it is also a Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO...... ;)

[1] Ensure that you have the appropriate Mac Model identifier for your CPU, e.g. MacPro3,1

MacPro3,1 >>> Intel Xeon 5400 series ("Harpertown") / Use for Core2Quad

[2] In your BIOS check that you have:

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [ENABLED]
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [ENABLED]
HPET Support [ENABLED]

[3] Assuming that you already have a basic fixed DSDT.aml file that compiles without any errors and/or warnings, ensure that you have implemented:

Device (RTC) fix for the CMOS Reset issue

A modified DSDT.aml is required to fix the CMOS reset bug as discovered by Stellarola initially in Snow Leopard ; namely to edit the RTC section in the file so as to decrease the length of the IO segment from typically 4 (but other values greater than 2 may be present?) to 2. RTC stands for Real Time Clock.

Open your DSDT.aml or dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml file using your chosen DSDT Editor app. For example, I use:

DSDT Editor
DSDTFixer
DSDTSE
MaciASL

On inspecting Device (RTC), decrease the length of the IO segment parameter in the Device (RTC) section in the dsdt.dsl file from 4 (or x > 2) to 2 if required.

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment

0x04, // Length

)
})
Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)

Change 0x04 to 0x02.

Note that your dsdt.dsl file Device (RTC) section may not look the same as the example below (from my 650i Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO)......some MOBOs do not have a ATT1, ResourceTemplate, only a ATT0, ResourceTemplate and/or the IO segment length may be 0x08 rather than 0x04......

[4] Now, if not already done so, you need to insert a DTGP Method patch to enable use of other patches (HPET, LPCB etc.) in the DSDT.aml file.

DTGP Method patch

Open your DSDT.aml or dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml file using your chosen DSDT Editor app.

In the original DSDT.aml file for my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, near to the top of the dsdt.dsl file, there is the following:

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

Insert the DTGP Method patch between Name (OSFL, 0x01) and Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized), i.e. before the first Method in the DSDT.aml file.....

Hence, after patching with the code in red, you should have:

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg4)
Return (One)
}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
{
Return (One)
}
}
}

Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

[5] Modify the Device (HPET) section to enable the removal of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ (and/or from /Extra/Extensions/ if you are using the Chameleon kernel patch option) and the loading of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, allowing you to employ Intel SpeedStepping for Native Power Management in OS X using the Chameleon boot loader functionality.

Device (HPET) fix 

Special thanks go to Volcacius, who patched his 790i DSDT.aml file to enable working C-states (learning from Master Chief.....see here too.....) and posted it for me to see.......saving me a lot of time as the HPET fix he used also works for me!

The HPET fix enables you to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and enables the AppleHPET.kext to load, so that the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext can load without this kernel panic being generated......

"no HPETs available ... CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-......."

HPET stands for High Precision Event Timer.

My original Device (HPET) section [above device (RTC)] was:

Device (HPET)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
{8}
Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
0xFEFF0000, // Address Base
0x00000400, // Address Length
)
})
Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
{
})
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
{
If (HPTF)
{
Return (0x0F)
}
Else
{
Return (Zero)
}
}
Else
{
Return (Zero)
}
}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
{
If (HPTF)
{
Return (ATT3)
}
Else
{
Return (ATT4)
}
}
Else
{
Return (ATT4)
}
}
}

Device (RTC)

and I replaced everything in { } belonging to Device (HPET) with:

Device (HPET)

{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}
IRQNoFlags ()
{8}
Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
0xFEFF0000, // Address Base
0x00000400, // Address Length
)
})
Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate ()
{
})
Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LGreaterEqual (OSFX, 0x03))
{
If (HPTF)
{
Return (0x0F)
}
}
Else
{
If (HPTF)
{
Return (0x0B)
}
}

Return (Zero)
}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (HPTF)
{
Return (ATT3)
}

Return (ATT4)
}
}

Return (ATT4)
}
}

Device (RTC)

[6] To enable native power management you need to be able to enable C-States, which requires you to have the equivalent of AppleLPC working on your system.

This is because the AppleLPC.kext has to load to enable native power management in OS X (and incidentally, for the `Start up automatically after a power failure' option to appear in the Energy Saver window in System Preferences)

However, for AppleLPC.kext to load the DSDT.aml file has to have a LPC patch inserted. The LPC patch is required because the LPC bus was introduced by Intel in 1998 as a substitute for the Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) bus. LPC stands for Low Pin Count and modern Super-I/O chips use the Low Pin Count (LPC) bus instead of ISA for communication with the CPU via an LPC interface on the Southbridge chip of the MOBO.

Device (LPCB) patch

While the LPC bus has replaced the ISA bus, your BIOS based MOBO still acknowledges the ISA bus, and so you need to install and run a OS X Yosemite compatible version of the UNIX lspci utility.

Evosx86 Team's Snow Leopard x64 version v1.1 : lspci V1.1.zip

in order to find the address of your ISA bridge.

Type in Terminal:

lspci -nn

and look for the ISA bridge entry, e.g. in my case:

00:0a.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge [10de:0360] (rev a2)

What you are looking for are the digits at start of the line, i.e. Field 1, which is 00:0a.0 above.

Field 1 : 00:0a.0 : bus number (00), device number (0a) and function (0)

In the DSDT.aml file, addresses have 8 digits after 0x (0x signifies that the number that follows is a hexadecimal number), thus 00:0a.0 is equivalent to the 0x000a0000, i.e. 00:0 is 000; a is a, and .0 is written as 0000.

Now search the dsdt.dsl or dsdt.aml file using 0x000a0000 as the Search Term until you find a Device section with Name (_ADR, 0x000A0000) immediately below it.

In my dsdt file, Name (_ADR, 0x000A0000) appeared below the Device (LEG0).

This was double-checked by searching for LEG0 in the OS X IORegistry using IORegistryExplorer (found in Xcode Developer folder >>>> Applications >>>> Utilities) to confirm its location in IOReg under AppleACPIPlatformExpert >>>> PCI0@0 >>>> AppleACPIPCI.

Now copy AppleLPC.kext to the Desktop and right-click on it and select Show Package Contents, then go to Contents >>>> Info.plist.

Open Info.plist using TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor, and look under

AppleLPC

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC
IOClass
AppleLPC

and note the IONameMatch array; of particular interest are the entries with the nVidia vendor ID, i.e. 10de.

pci8086,2811
pci8086,2815
pci8086,27b9
pci8086,27bd
pci8086,2670
pci8086,8119
pci8086,2916
pci8086,3a18
pci8086,3b00
pci8086,3b01
pci8086,3b02
pci8086,3b09
pci10de,aac
pci10de,aae
pci10de,aaf
pci10de,d80
pci10de,d81
pci10de,d82
pci10de,d83

Although there are no entries matching, or very similar to, the ISA bus device ID 10de:0360, it has been found that for nForce chipset MOBOs under OS X, the device ID in the bold entry functions as an equivalent device ID to 0360.

I have personally found this to be true as I do not need to use a Info.plist only kext to inject
the ISA bus device ID 10de:0360 via the following:

key>AppleLPC

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.driver.AppleLPC
IOClass
AppleLPC
IONameMatch

pci10de,360

Nevertheless, here is the LPC_injector.kext posted by iLeopod: 

Thus aae becomes (written in reverse order): 0xAE, 0x0A, 0x00, 0x00

Back in the DSDT.aml file, Device (LEG0) becomes Device (LPCB) and all other instances of LEG0 are replaced by LPCB.

Now the relevant part of what was formely Device (LEG0), now named Device (LPCB) is:

Device (LEG0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x000A0000)
OperationRegion (PIO0, PCI_Config, 0x04, 0x20)
Scope (\)
{
Field (\_SB.PCI0.LEG0.PIO0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
SMEN, 8,
Offset (0x0C),
Offset (0x0D),
SMIO, 8
}
}

Scope (\)
{
OperationRegion (SCPP, SystemIO, 0x142E, One)
Field (SCPP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
SMIP, 8
}
}

Method (^_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

because the LPC Method patch needs to be inserted between the lower Scope (/) { } section and Method (^_INI, 0, NotSerialized) section, as follows:

Device (LPCB)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x000A0000)
OperationRegion (PIO0, PCI_Config, 0x04, 0x20)
Scope (\)
{
Field (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PIO0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
SMEN, 8,
Offset (0x0C),
Offset (0x0D),
SMIO, 8
}
}

Scope (\)
{
OperationRegion (SCPP, SystemIO, 0x142E, One)
Field (SCPP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
SMIP, 8
}
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0xAE, 0x0A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Method (^_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

[7] In order to to prevent audio "stuttering" when Native Power Management in OS X is enabled, i.e. after SpeedStepping with C-states is enabled, you need to fix the Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) sections in the fixed HPET and LPCB patched DSDT.aml file, , 

Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixes

The relevant section of Device (TMR) is shown here:

Device (TMR)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0100"))
Name (ATT5, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
IRQNoFlags ()
{0}

})
Name (ATT6, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})

Note the presence of IRQNoFlags () {0} - the fix is simply to remove IRQNoFlags () {0} from this section:

Device (TMR)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0100"))
Name (ATT5, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})
Name (ATT6, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0040, // Range Minimum
0x0040, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length
)
})

The relevant section of Device (PIC) is shown here:

Device (PIC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0000"))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0020, // Range Minimum
0x0020, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
IO (Decode16,
0x00A0, // Range Minimum
0x00A0, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
IRQNoFlags ()
{2}

})
}

Note the presence of IRQNoFlags () {2} - the fix is simply to remove IRQNoFlags () {2} from this section:

Device (PIC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0000"))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0020, // Range Minimum
0x0020, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
IO (Decode16,
0x00A0, // Range Minimum
0x00A0, // Range Maximum
0x01, // Alignment
0x02, // Length
)
})
}

[8] Ensure you are running Chameleon 2.2 svn r2401, or an even later revision if it working 100% for you, when installing OS X Yosemite

Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist by adding:

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

N.B. The P-States and C-States generated by Chameleon are exported to the system via additional SSDTs, so if your BIOS has native SSDTs with _CST methods you should use "DropSSDT" = "Yes" option in org.chameleon.Boot.plist as follows:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Likewise, if you have a modded DSDT with _CST methods you should remove them or there will be a kernel panic on system start.

[9] Remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ (and/or from /Extra/Extensions/ if you are using the Chameleon kernel patch option)

[10] Reboot

[11] Confirm that speed stepping is working in OS X Yosemite by installing and running SMC Monitor.app and/or smcK-Stat-i.app (both of these apps need JavaForOSX2014-001 to be installed; all are included in the verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, which you can download by clicking on the link in post #1.)

Whether you are using SMC Monitor.app and/or smcK-Stat-i.app, in all cases if speed stepping is working properly, you should see the CPU core frequencies changing dynamically with CPU load, e.g. when scrolling windows rapidly, browsing the Internet etc., i.e. cycling between your listed P-states.......

• Like 1

Getting Audio Working in OS X Yosemite

This guide may include in time, more reports of successful attempts to get different audio chipsets/codecs working on different nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs.........but I am starting with what enables audio on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO......

1. Asus SupremeFX II Audio Card (Analog Devices AD1988B 8-Channel High Definition Audio chipset/CODEC) with oldnapalm's patched (for AD1988B 7.1) VoodooHDA.kext v2.7.2 for OS X Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite

In OS X Yosemite 10.10 on my Asus P5N-32E SLI Plus MOBO and Asus SupremeFX II Audio Card, audio (sound) is enabled by using a modified version of oldnapalm's original version VooddoHDA.kext for AD1988B, that has a default association of 0x02214050 for node 17 in the VoodooHDA.kext Info.plist file rather than the original of 0x0221401f.

Now and then two sound assertion messages (albeit both at line 397) are listed during verbose booting:

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 397
Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 397

but the audio always works.....although there is a 'pop' sound on booting/shutdown, and while there is a working volume slider and I can mute / unmute, I get a 'pop' sound doing it......also, decreasing the slider (volume) to minimum (zero) volume causes a 'pop' sound and increasing slowly generates a 'pop' just above zero level but increasing it quickly to 75% volume generates a 'pop' sound before going to 100% volume.....

Oldnapalm posts that as far as he is aware, the "pop" sound on startup/shutdown and mute/unmute cannot be fixed by plist editing.....

However, setting a default association of 0x02214050 for node 17 in the VoodooHDA.kext Info.plist file has enabled the front green port for headphones but not with autodetect.....

<dict>
<key>Codec</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Config</key>
<string>0x02214050</string>
<key>Node</key>
<integer>17</integer>
</dict>

instead of

<key>Codec</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Config</key>
<string>0x0221401f</string>
<key>Node</key>
<integer>17</integer>
</dict>

My System Preferences then displays:

Sound Output:

- Headphones (Green Front) - Working via manual selection in sound prefs
- Line-out (Black Rear) - not tested
- Line-out (Green Rear) - working via manual selection in sound prefs
- Line-out (Grey Rear) - not tested
- Line-out (Orange Rear) - not tested
- SPDIF-out (rear) - not tested

Sound Input:

- Line-in (Blue Rear) - not tested
- Microphone (Pink Front) - working via manual selection in sound prefs
- Microphone (Pink Rear) - not tested fully as not convenient to use

Despite the sound 'pops' on on startup/shutdown and mute/unmute, having both the Front Headphones (green front) and the Front Microphone (pink front) working via manual selection in Sound Preferences is very useful should you want to use FaceTime and/or Skype etc..... :)

• Like 1

Sadly, I just voted no. I've been a user of your guides in the past and love that you got up and running on 10.10. I still have my nForce board and e8400 running, but it is now simply used as a download box these days. I was a holdout for a long time, but have sadly (or happily?  :) ) moved on. Keep at it! Love that you have been able to run with this board as long as you have. Great job!

EDIT: And it looks like I need to update my sig line at some point  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Once again here I am to ask you something, already in Yosemite!  :) I've followed your tutorial, smooth as the previous one to Mavericks! Only had an issue, the nForcelan.kext and the VoodooHDA.kext, for some reason, were not loading on the startup! Nothing that Kext Utility (and not Kext Wizard, that didn't fix it) didn't solve! :lol: Now, a new issue: i've got an Asus GTX 480 graphics card and, since I'm using your DSDT, it shows up the 9800 GT that you probably use. Is it possible for me to change this and, then, to be able to change screen resolution and try better graphics games? Or is it "hardcoded" into your DSDT, making it unchangeable?

Thank you, verdant, as usual, amazing tutorials and amazing support!

Hi Fred,

Glad the guide worked well for you...... :)

What is the video RAM (VRAM) of your Asus GTX 480 graphics card?

Install and run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, and let me know what version of IORegistryExplorer you used.

Post it for me to download.

Also, If you are dual booting with Windows, then use GPU-Z to extract your graphics card ROM file and post it here.....this way I can check its NVCAP string.....

Then I wil modify the DSDT.aml file for you and explain what I changed.....

Hi Fred,

Here is a modified P5N32-E SLI Plus DSDT.aml for you to try: P5N32E DSDT -FCoelho.zip

Your IOReg file show that your graphics card was operating in VESA mode, with its NVRAM and NVCAP data not being picked up from the DSDT.aml file as my 9800 GT data and your GTX 480 data are different....

From your GPU-Z VRAM info:

Data Value -------- VRAM (MB) ---------- String Value (Hexadecimal)

<00000060>-----------1536 (1.5 GB)-------<0x60000000>  

(the hexadecimal string is written reverse order within DSDT)

and ROM NVCAP info:

my DSDT.aml file has been modified for you as follows:

"NVCAP",
Buffer (0x18)
{
/* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,
/* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,
/* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"VRAM,totalsize",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x60
},

"model",
Buffer (0x10)
{
    “Asus GeForce GTX 480"
},

"rom-revision",
Buffer (0x1D)
{
    "nVidia GTX 480 OpenGL Engine"
},

Let me know if it works.......and in any event, please send me a new IOReg file generated using the attached DSDT.aml file......

Hi Fred

Glad it has worked for you.....you are clearly a happy customer!......:) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Verdant, Thank you so much for the guide! I just succesfully installed Yosemite on a P5N-E SLI motherboard with Q6600 thanks to it!

I did things a bit different, because I didn't have a native OSX installation or access to a Mac, and I didn't have a spare harddisk. So I used a virtualbox mountain lion with windows 7 as host, to prepare everything. Instead of installing to a harddisk I used two big pendrives 32gb and 64 gb, I used the 32gb one for the setup disk and installed to the 64gb, then I cloned the 64gb disk into the harddisk where I had windows 7, and then chameleon from the pendrive let me boot the harddisk, then I installed chameleon in the harddisk and it boots fine.
I didn't have a DSDT.aml file so I sourced one from a website that claimed to be for P5N-E SLI. 

Everything worked fine except audio, I get voodooHDA to show in system details but I get no audio output. My audio should come out from green-rear jack, but on OSX it says black rear jack and green jack doesn't even appear. The audio chip in this mobo is ALC883.

Do you have any suggestions, anything I can try?

Hi espurv

Well done.......necessity being the mother of invention.......glad the guide was useful...... :)

See Mirone's AppleHDA for Yosemite topic for ALC883.......let me know if you need help with your DSDT.aml file for your MOBO....if so, Install and run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, and let me know what version of IORegistryExplorer you used, and also extract your DSDT using Windows 7 via Aida64 (Engineer or Business versions) using Tools > ACPI Browser > Save DSDT, or  via ReadWrite Utility using Access > ACPI Tables > DSDT, and then save as a binary file (.bin)....

Hi Verdant, I managed to fix the sound! I replaced voodoohda.kext from this guide for the latest version from source forge, and the rear green jack appeared everywhere, the volume was too low but I fixed the info.plist and fiddled with the parameters in voodoo panel and it's "fine", still the sound quality and support is not as perfect as compared to windows 7 but it's ok for me at the moment.

Another thing I forgot to mention about my whole process is that I wasn't able to download yosemite from the app store, so I got a .dmg from a torrent somewhere.
The only thing that is not working well is the sleep mode, I had to disable it or otherwise it would turn off the PC and lock it up. It's not something I'm too concerned about at the moment.

I just wanted to get this MACOSX machine ready so I can run FCP and Apple Motion on it, and I think I succeeded so far. I'm really pleased with the performance of everything, it all feels blazing fast, for the graphics I have a GT8600 it worked without a glitch from moment 0.
My next step is to back up this clean install so I don't lose all this in the future.

I thank you again for your generosity for putting up this great thorough guide for all of us to be able to get our systems running without having to spend enormous amounts of money on new hardware.

@ epsurv

No problem.........as I wanted to run Yosemite on my nForce MOBO, which is still soldiering on, I am still in a position to help other nForce MOBO users do the same.......and happy to do so...... :)

Glad you sorted out the audio to your current satisfaction and can now be productive with your OS X setup...... ;)

BTW sleep has always been a problem for most nForce chipset MOBOs and so most users do not bother with trying to get sleep working.

I am sure that there are many PCs out there using LGA755 MOBOs with Intel Q series quad core CPUs with GeForce Series 8 or 9 garphics cards (or ATI equivalents) that are still running reliably and so capable of running OS X Yosemite productively (i.e. fast enough) for many users, who either cannot afford or cannot justify upgrading to each new CPU socket design / CPU family, e.g X99 etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

I'm up and running on 

EVGA Nforce 780i 
Intel Q9400 Core2 Duo quad 2.66HGhz

4GB Corsair Dominator
Video: Geforce GT 740 FTW 2GB 

Still having issues with sound and Ethernet Tried using your support files so far not working. 

forgot to add that only network connection is "dail in/up" as you maybe able to see in the pic.

but no LAN options it's grayed out.

Thoughts?! 

post-1383728-0-68088100-1417658647_thumb.jpg

Hi MadDawg2020,

That is good news.......:)

You are having issues with sound because I believe your MOBO uses a Realtek ALC888 codec / chipset.....see Mirone's AppleHDA for Yosemite topic for ALC888......

As for LAN, I believe your MOBO uses the Marvell 88E1116 chipset for LAN, so the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext should work for you.........assuming that thenForceLAN.0.64.5.kext, then do the following:

In Terminal type:

Then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

kernelcache
loadedkextmt.plist

Then, in Terminal, type

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then use the OS X Yosemite Disk Utility to repair the OS X Yosemite HDD system permissions......then reboot......

If this still does not work, then run cVADs Kext Utility for Yosemite.........

@ jamiethemorris

Glad you like the guide.......and that your nForce MOBO is still running like new........ :)

GPU-Z enables easy Geforce ROM extraction but you stlll need to use NVCAP Maker 1.4 (Google it) to extract the NVCAP string (despite Krazubu saying "NVCAP maker that is outdated, and has an inaccurate method. Come on, it was made for PPC something like 8 years ago", but not saying how else the correct NVCAP can be extracted just as easily from a GPU ROM by everyday users).........for myself, I have not had any problems with the NVCAP outputs not being usable with my Geforce graphics card ROMs.......

@ jamiethemorris

There is a single NVCAP string for each nVidia Graphics card covering all its display ports.......see here for an explanation of the NVCAP string.......and a collection of GPU ROMs here.......extracted using GPU-Z.

Hi, verdant!

I hope you don't mind me being lazy but I've got a question for you, quite specific: is there a way to use our mobo's soundcard to have 5.1 audio? And is it possible to get the audio input working? To use a microphone and to be able to use Skype and others? It's just that for now, apart some ocasional KP with VoodooHDA and IOAudioFamily on boot, the machine is running smoothly! :)

Thanks! :)