Handsoff & AirDrop

Verdinate

39 posts in this topic

That seems ridiculously over-priced. 

Agree. You can find the adapter also on eBay or via Taobao look for BCM94360CD adapter. Then get the card…….I am pretty sure some other cards will work too with this adapter as, for instance, my late 2011 MacBook Air has a combined wireless N/ BT 4.0 LE card which also works natively with handoff etc. [ by that I mean the card shows all the capabilities of handoff etc in system profiler once the MacBookAir4,2 has been removed from the Apple "blacklist" that they made to try to stop older Macs from getting the benefits of Yosemite Handoff etc] and so I am buying the cheap adapter and then going to try the MacBook Air card with it in my hack to confirm. These cards (if they work okay in the hack) are considerably cheaper than the one everyone is fighting for now and also only need two antennae (instead of 4). Here is a link to the Macbook Air 2011 card. I will post here if it works (a) with the adapter and ( B) natively for handoff etc. in a hack. Total spend would then be much more reasonable than going the other route…..in UK prices £20, but as things are available much cheaper in the US, probably for 20USD over there.

I purchased the BCM4360 broadcom card off eBay for $30 and the pcie card adapter for another $30. This enables both 802.11ac wifi and bluetooth 4.0. It's the same card found in the 2013 iMac so it's supported natively. It may not be as cheap as other options, but you can't beat the utility of it.

• Like 1

I purchased the BCM4360 broadcom card off eBay for $30 and the pcie card adapter for another $30. This enables both 802.11ac wifi and bluetooth 4.0. It's the same card found in the 2013 iMac so it's supported natively. It may not be as cheap as other options, but you can't beat the utility of it.

Yes, I guess I am just a cheap skate trying to save a little! My home network and other devices only go up to 'n' though, so if my cheaper way works then hopefully I shouldn't, in real terms, lose any performance for where I'll be using the bits and pieces...

I am also a little bit wary of some of the cards on eBay maybe not working with handoff etc if they don't have an Apple Vendor id - so that's why I am looking at cards pulled from Macs rather than going for cards that call themselves "new".  I don't want to go to the hassle of waiting for ages for a new card to arrive, only to find that it then doesn't work because it is branded differently under the hood. Could be that these fears are ill founded but as yet I am not sure what mechanisms Apple are employing to block some of the possible solutions out there so I want to try and minimise the chances of being ripped off.

I'm pretty sure that others have already used these cards (the ones from china) and handoff/airdrop and all that fun stuff was working perfectly. I believe this was back when Yosemite was still in beta, but I doubt that that would change.  I'll have mine installed this weekend. I received it in less than a week from ordering so shipping is actually pretty quick. I guess I shall have to wait until then to know for sure, but I highly doubt Apple would implement any type security measure to block a non-Apple card from working.

I'm pretty sure that others have already used these cards (the ones from china) and handoff/airdrop and all that fun stuff was working perfectly. I believe this was back when Yosemite was still in beta, but I doubt that that would change.  I'll have mine installed this weekend. I received it in less than a week from ordering so shipping is actually pretty quick. I guess I shall have to wait until then to know for sure, but I highly doubt Apple would implement any type security measure to block a non-Apple card from working.

Well…..it actually did change from Beta. My Asus combo card (a broadcom a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4 Le card) worked fine in the DPs and was then blocked in the final DP and the release (and swapping kexts from the DP cannot re-activate). So yes, this is precisely what Apple have done. As well of course as specifically excluding certain Mac models  - which otherwise would work with their built in cards - from functioning by including a blacklist of Macs (!) within the IOBluetoothfamily.kext (you can read more about that here if you want: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1803192). I know this because to get my own Mac working I had to remove the blocked MacBookAir4,2 id from the kext….

Anyway, I am sure you will be right and fine. I haven't heard of any real problems with that card and I think they are specifically made by Broadcom for Apple anyway. I have seen some of the cards though advertised as "engineering samples" and I'd be inclined to avoid those I think (just in case!).

Well…..it actually did change from Beta. My Asus combo card (a broadcom a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4 Le card) worked fine in the DPs and was then blocked in the final DP and the release (and swapping kexts from the DP cannot re-activate). So yes, this is precisely what Apple have done. As well of course as specifically excluding certain Mac models  - which otherwise would work with their built in cards - from functioning by including a blacklist of Macs (!) within the IOBluetoothfamily.kext (you can read more about that here if you want: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1803192). I know this because to get my own Mac working I had to remove the blocked MacBookAir4,2 id from the kext….

Anyway, I am sure you will be right and fine. I haven't heard of any real problems with that card and I think they are specifically made by Broadcom for Apple anyway. I have seen some of the cards though advertised as "engineering samples" and I'd be inclined to avoid those I think (just in case!).

i saw that post from macrumors.  Does that tools only applies to those broadcom card mentioned? or would that be a viable option for us Hackintoshes? like atheros cards.

I just bought BCM94360CD/BCM94331CD to PCI-e 1X Adapter with this one Apple Broadcom 802.11AC BCM94360CD Wifi Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Card from ebay.

So I think it will be just fine on my Hackintosh.

I'll let you know!

Just an update. The card I bought on eBay works perfectly in OS X 10.10. In case someone else is thinking of doing the same. Bluetooth and WiFi are natively supported, no block, or issues.

Are you talking about this one? Apple Broadcom 802.11AC BCM94360CD?

That would be nice. Glad to hear it works!

Are you talking about this one? Apple Broadcom 802.11AC BCM94360CD?

That would be nice. Glad to hear it works!

Yes that is the one I am talking about. I ordered the pci-e adapter card and the Broadcom card separate to save some $. Put it together myself and everything is working great. Handoff works, bluetooth trackpad/keyboard works, and the 802.11ac is so much faster. It was more than worth it for me.

Yes that is the one I am talking about. I ordered the pci-e adapter card and the Broadcom card separate to save some $. Put it together myself and everything is working great. Handoff works, bluetooth trackpad/keyboard works, and the 802.11ac is so much faster. It was more than worth it for me.

link please?

I ordered and card and adapter as well. Card got here first but no adapter, thus can't use it. 

So after installing this module, BT and wifi both work with this card, right? I have apple BT modded with converter to work in my system so that it can wake with my magic mouse. So I don't need that module anymore after this?

I have an old original apple BT adapter modded to an internal USB port so that I can wake with my BT keyboard and trackpad. I'm interested if your tries here with a newer apple card plus adapter works. Maybe I'll buy something like that too. I guess it would replace my modded BT module...

I can now confirm 94360 card works out of box. Installed to my system with adapter, WiFI and BT (including wake from blurtooth devices) works right away. Air drop, handoff works as well. :D

Don't need original apple BT module anymore.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I can now confirm 94360 card works out of box. Installed to my system with adapter, WiFI and BT works right away. Air drop, handoff works.   :D

Don't need original apple BT module anymore. 

Good to know!! Just ordered my combo. My WiFi adapter and Bluetooth adapter have been flakey of late, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to replace the both of them.