App Store upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite with Clover - success!

luki1979

26 posts in this topic

All I did was:

Installed new Clover 2953 on Mavericks HD

Rebooted just to make sure new Clover didn't break anything

In EFI/CLOVER/kexts I renamed 10.6 to 10.10 and copied kexts from 10.9 folder to it. (FakeSMC.kext is a must in 10.10 folder and S/L/E)

Downloaded Yosemite from App store and let it run

After restart I selected OS X Install partition and let it Install

Progress bar actually froze but I let PC on for an hour as I forgot -v

Restarted and it booted Sign in to iCloud thing and then to Yosemite

Only thing broken is that HW monitor stopped showing Fan speeds?

Always have back up! This isn't guide just info.

Thx

post-610344-0-69231900-1413750555_thumb.png

• Like 4

For some reason I can't get my kexts to load.  I'll try deleting all the ones in the 10.9 folder.

EDIT: Alright, 2 or 3 things.  First, I needed to rebuild kernelcache

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

This brought back my ethernet.

Then I needed to get the new version of Toleda's script for patching audio, which I'm sure everyone can find.  I just said yes to everything and it's working, natch.

Also, I went over to netkas's forum and found the newest nvidia web driver, which didn't download automatically for some reason.

Note that I already had trim and fakesmc working, the latter probably because I also have a copy in s/l/e just in case.

Happy hacking.

My audio worked and ethernet worked as before. Unfortunately I got old Apple bluetooth and Airport. I don't have AirDrop or Handoff and it's extremely annoying as I do  have an iPhone. I'm not sure if I should try Nvidia web drivers as my card works natively. I don't wanna break anything, but you always want better :)

I can confirm that if you use Clover as your bootloader, you can directly upgrade to Yosemite 14A389 by running the "Install OS X Yosemite.app".  In my case, this was an upgrade from GM RC3 to the final retail release version.

Note: Make sure you have installed HFSPlus.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (to replace VBoxHfs-64.efi) and boot Clover with injected kexts (FakeSMC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other or 10.10).

Steps

1.  Run the installer from the Applications Folder

post-846696-0-74577800-1413624085_thumb.png

2.  After the installer places files on the hard drive, the system will reboot ---> at the Clover menu, choose the "Boot OS X Install from xxx" option...

post-846696-0-61216400-1413624241_thumb.png

3.  You will see the Apple logo and progress bar and then the real installation process begins...

post-846696-0-06884200-1413624451_thumb.jpg

4.  At the completion of the real installation, the system will reboot a final time ---> at the Clover menu, now choose the "Boot Mac OS X from xxx"

post-846696-0-33445500-1413624867_thumb.png

5.  You will now arrive at Yosemite's login screen.  For me, all settings were intact and audio still worked (I use Piker-Alpha support kext method to patch AppleHDA).

• Like 2

How long did it take you guys for the installer to actually start?

For me it takes ages to even get to the apple logo boot screen and from then on it doesn't seem to do anything

It was actually quick. Something wrong there.

I get the message: "This partition map modification would make a windows partition unbootable." Does anyone know a fix for this?

Are you sure that you upgrading from Mavericks?

Well, I did exactly as you guys said in your posts. 

I created the folder /Volumes/EFI/kexts/10.10 and put FakeSMC.kext in there, added HFIPlus.efi in the drivers folder, updated Clover to revision 2953 and ran the Install Yosemite app.

On reboot I selected the Install entry with inject kexts.

From there it took several minutes loading stuff.

The last things I see in the console are:

IOGraphics flags 0x43

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 556

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 413

Next thing that happens are that the console disappears and the screen displays the apple logo with the progress bar underneath and the cursor in the corner.

The cursor quickly switches to spinning ball and stays that way, though I can still move it.

After some time the mouse becomes much less responsive, and the progress bar never actually progresses.

I tried safe boot and I also tried deactivating graphics injection, but no change

I'm upgrading from mavericks, but i'm running windows 8.1 on the same ssd. I've read that a real mac user was having the same problem. 

It's good idea to have separate drive for Windows. I'm sure you can google something out though. I got separate SSD for Windows.

Well, I did exactly as you guys said in your posts. 

I created the folder /Volumes/EFI/kexts/10.10 and put FakeSMC.kext in there, added HFIPlus.efi in the drivers folder, updated Clover to revision 2953 and ran the Install Yosemite app.

On reboot I selected the Install entry with inject kexts.

From there it took several minutes loading stuff.

The last things I see in the console are:

IOGraphics flags 0x43

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 556

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 413

Next thing that happens are that the console disappears and the screen displays the apple logo with the progress bar underneath and the cursor in the corner.

The cursor quickly switches to spinning ball and stays that way, though I can still move it.

After some time the mouse becomes much less responsive, and the progress bar never actually progresses.

I tried safe boot and I also tried deactivating graphics injection, but no change

Put FakeSMC and all kexts you used with mavericks to 10.10 folder and keep them in System/Library/Extensions too.

What's your graphic card?

I left that white screen with frozen progress bar for one hour and then restarted. Yosemite was installed. I got SSD but for some people with large hard drives installation took 3 hours! Ignore frozen progress bar and let it install. 

• 2 months later...

Guys i tried it , all everything went Ok but my notebook got overheat and it's power off during installation, now i can't boot clover properly, it stuck at Looking for boot entries and that's all , i tried chameleon from usb flash drive it gives me 2 partition 1 Recovery HD Installer , and second Recovery HD installer, i can't boot now cause no FakeSMC, any ideas how to boot clover again? This is really horrible situation. 

I can confirm that if you use Clover as your bootloader, you can directly upgrade to Yosemite 14A389 by running the "Install OS X Yosemite.app".  In my case, this was an upgrade from GM RC3 to the final retail release version.

Note: Make sure you have installed HFSPlus.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (to replace VBoxHfs-64.efi) and boot Clover with injected kexts (FakeSMC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other or 10.10).

Steps

1.  Run the installer from the Applications Folder

attachicon.gifYosemite Install Apple Way.png

2.  After the installer places files on the hard drive, the system will reboot ---> at the Clover menu, choose the "Boot OS X Install from xxx" option...

attachicon.gifBoot OS X Install.png

3.  You will see the Apple logo and progress bar and then the real installation process begins...

attachicon.gifReal Installation.JPG

4.  At the completion of the real installation, the system will reboot a final time ---> at the Clover menu, now choose the "Boot Mac OS X from xxx"

attachicon.gifBoot Mac OS X.png

5.  You will now arrive at Yosemite's login screen.  For me, all settings were intact and audio still worked (I use Piker-Alpha support kext method to patch AppleHDA).

Thanks a ton! These steps worked perfectly for me in VirtualBox.