Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

Patch seems to be not working.

Before patch

$ md5 /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel 
MD5 (/Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel) = fd9b0ed2a37a393d145033a2f0ce46b4

After patch

$ md5 /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel 
MD5 (/Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel) = fd9b0ed2a37a393d145033a2f0ce46b4

Nothing changed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a problem with getting Thunderbolt 2 PCI-Card working on this board.

Here is what I have and have done so for.

I build a rig with these combination in Januari this year also with the same mobo but with different GPU en CPU.

At that time a had the i7-5930K 6-core with a GTX 970. It was pretty easy to get that build running using Clover, Kernel-patch an Nvidia drivers.

Al I did was install OSX on a real Mac (10.10.2 at that time) and installed the necessary kext for this 6core with help of Rampagedev's X99.dmg Stinga's way and so on.

Even with Clover I never had the OsxAptiodrv memory error so I was pretty happy with that.

I sold it so I don't have it anymore.

Now I have X99-UD4 with i7-5960X the 8-core with a GTX780 and setting it up with Clover was pretty easy again. But then when I placed the TB-card I get the OsxAptiodrv memory allocation error.

So I struggled for week to get this fixed within Clover as I don't want to use Chameleon. But no matter what I try or do I never got past the errors.

So finally I decided to use chameleon and used the same kexts and patches and got it also easily running. But now I can't get TB working.

In windows it is working fine with my TB-to-ethernet adapter but OSX will not see it or use it.

I have GPU in PCI-slot-1 and have TB in slot-3, I have tried it in slot-2 as well as Gigabyte recommends these two slots.

I have CMS disabled, I have security settings to legacy, no other changes. With these settings windows won't see my TB-ethernet adapter. If I set security to Unique ID it shows my adapter again in windows. But no matter what I try in OSX it is never shown or seen. 

I'm getting these errors in console:

Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: __ZN11IOPCIDevice17setTunnelL1EnableEP9IOServiceb
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI - link failed.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed to load (0xdc008016).
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (error 0xdc008016).
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed; removing personalities from kernel.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: __ZN11IOPCIDevice17setTunnelL1EnableEP9IOServiceb
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI - link failed.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed to load (0xdc008016).
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (error 0xdc008016).
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed; removing personalities from kernel.

So it looks like a software issue but I just don't know how to solve this.
My question is:
Does anyone have a working TB card on this board with the same CPU?
If so could you share bios setting and maybe used kext sambas and so on?

I running F10 or F11 or F12 or F13b it does not matter.
MP 5.1, iMac 14.2 or MP 3.1 does not make any different.

So please If anyone can point me in the right direction? It would make me very happy!

Here is my post regarding this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306844-gigabyte-x99-ud4-i7-5960x-and-thunderbolt-2-pci-card-bios-settings/

Hi All,

I have a problem with getting Thunderbolt 2 PCI-Card working on this board.

Here is what I have and have done so for.

I build a rig with these combination in Januari this year also with the same mobo but with different GPU en CPU.

At that time a had the i7-5930K 6-core with a GTX 970. It was pretty easy to get that build running using Clover, Kernel-patch an Nvidia drivers.

Al I did was install OSX on a real Mac (10.10.2 at that time) and installed the necessary kext for this 6core with help of Rampagedev's X99.dmg Stinga's way and so on.

Even with Clover I never had the OsxAptiodrv memory error so I was pretty happy with that.

I sold it so I don't have it anymore.

Now I have X99-UD4 with i7-5960X the 8-core with a GTX780 and setting it up with Clover was pretty easy again. But then when I placed the TB-card I get the OsxAptiodrv memory allocation error.

So I struggled for week to get this fixed within Clover as I don't want to use Chameleon. But no matter what I try or do I never got past the errors.

So finally I decided to use chameleon and used the same kexts and patches and got it also easily running. But now I can't get TB working.

In windows it is working fine with my TB-to-ethernet adapter but OSX will not see it or use it.

I have GPU in PCI-slot-1 and have TB in slot-3, I have tried it in slot-2 as well as Gigabyte recommends these two slots.

I have CMS disabled, I have security settings to legacy, no other changes. With these settings windows won't see my TB-ethernet adapter. If I set security to Unique ID it shows my adapter again in windows. But no matter what I try in OSX it is never shown or seen. 

I'm getting these errors in console:

Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: __ZN11IOPCIDevice17setTunnelL1EnableEP9IOServiceb
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI - link failed.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed to load (0xdc008016).
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (error 0xdc008016).
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
Jun 27 03:55:46 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed; removing personalities from kernel.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI]: __ZN11IOPCIDevice17setTunnelL1EnableEP9IOServiceb
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI - link failed.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed to load (0xdc008016).
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (error 0xdc008016).
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
Jun 27 18:01:02 localhost com.apple.kextd[45]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI failed; removing personalities from kernel.

So it looks like a software issue but I just don't know how to solve this.
My question is:
Does anyone have a working TB card on this board with the same CPU?
If so could you share bios setting and maybe used kext sambas and so on?

I running F10 or F11 or F12 or F13b it does not matter.
MP 5.1, iMac 14.2 or MP 3.1 does not make any different.

So please If anyone can point me in the right direction? It would make me very happy!

Here is my post regarding this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306844-gigabyte-x99-ud4-i7-5960x-and-thunderbolt-2-pci-card-bios-settings/

You need to delete ThunderboltNHI.kext.  Don't worry TB will still work at full speed.  I can't remember why, but it solved the issue for me - there is info floating around about it out there...  

I have an Asus X99 D/Thunderbolt 2 Card and 2 GPUS (which created even crazier problems), and I had similar issues.  Is there an option in BIOS to adjust the NB_PCI Slot number for the TB card to reflect where it is physically installed?  Secure Boot is disabled/Keys unloaded right?  Also try disabling Fast Boot...  Your first goal should be getting it to show in Windows with legacy security enabled - as it won't work in OS X without Legacy Security enabled.  If Windows isn't seeing it, there's no chance in OS X as it isn't registering in BIOS resource charts.  I know Microsoft has all these strict rules about M.2 drives and Secure Boot codes too which some mfr.'s add in BIOS, it may reflect on TB2 cards.  Maybe CSM has to be enabled?  You can still boot with CSM enabled...

When I had issues with 3 PCI cards building (2 GPUs and 1 TB Card) in the resource charts on my MB this is what I did... it could be a starting point for you.  I edited the steps a bit for your specific situation...

1. Reset CMOS - Start Fresh
  2. Install 1st GPU (ONLY GPU, no TB card or other PCI devices)
  3. Boot into Bios and disable fast boot, make other BIOS adjustments necessary for your setup
  4. OPTIONAL: then advanced>boot - change Intl19 Trap Response to Postponed and Above 4G Decoding to Enabled (If an option on your MB) - Save/Exit
  5. Boot to Win OS (this allows resource chart to rebuild) then power down
  6. Install 2nd GPU (if Applicable) and TB card to mfr suggested Slot (changing location to NB_PCI slot in BIOS and security to Legacy)
  7. Boot to Win OS (again rebuilding resource chart, adding the TB card) and see if TB Card is available
  8. If TB card is avail in Win, boot to OS X and delete ThunderboltNHI.kext and rebuild caches etc... 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have another strange issue with my build. I gave up on TB as no matter what I can't get it to work.

But now I have a stuttering video playback with my X99-UD, 5960X and with three different GPU's

I've tried GTX780, GTX960 and GTX970 and they all playback with hiccups.

I'm playing a MP4

Format: H.264, 3840 x 2160

AC3, 4800 Hz

FPS: 60

Size: 673,2 MB

Data Rate: 8,32 Mbit/s

Current Size: 1920 x 1080 (half)

The movie stutters while playing. So it stops while audio is going on but the video moves stuttering.

I've got Web drivers installed, no Cuda, have used different SMBIOS settings. It just don't matter what I do to get rid of this.

I've searched everywhere but can't find anything to solve this.

On other machines like my Hackintosh or my MacBook Pro 13" it's running smooth.

I've seen GVA errors in console within QuiktimePlayer. So there has to be some software error. My guess is it's because of custom ACPI Platform for my 8-core. But I just don't know what.

On the other hand when running Cinebench (105 FPS) it has high score with Luxmark OpenCL 1414.

I'm suspecting that this ACPI platform kext for 8-core is messing up things with TB as wel as my graphics. I just don't know what.

I'm not at the machine now but I will put some logfiles later here.

So if any one can give me a hint or help.?

Thanks

This is solved by installing Generic-USB3 kext, removed NullPowerCPU.... kext and run CPU at 4.0 or higher!

Hi, there~ 

About the Haswell-E Patch..... Any idea about what's wrong with it?

$ md5 /Volumes/Hackintosh/System/Library/Kernels/kernel 

MD5 (/Volumes/Hackintosh/System/Library/Kernels/kernel) = 1a2306e39c55551fc723c7fda153ae1c

robin-mbp:~ robinqu$ sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/Hackintosh/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Password:

robin-mbp:~ robinqu$ md5 /Volumes/Hackintosh/System/Library/Kernels/kernel 

MD5 (/Volumes/Hackintosh/System/Library/Kernels/kernel) = 1a2306e39c55551fc723c7fda153ae1c

Thanks!

I don't see any thing with it...

I tried to patch kernel for Haswell-E support,  nothing changed after patch. The md5 checksum of kernel remains the same.

The patch code is in the first post by stinga11. 

Any advice?

Anyone got detailed steps for updating to 10.10.3?

I cloned my Yosemite 10.10.0 install to a new drive

I ran the combo updater and rebooted

->PCI Configuration Begin

I ran kernel patch from #1 post

I reinstalled my 10.9.5 IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from my working 10.10.0 Yosemite drive

I tried rebuilding kextcache manually according to gulftown

->Still PCI Configuration Begin

Anyone got detailed steps for updating to 10.10.3?

I cloned my Yosemite 10.10.0 install to a new drive

I ran the combo updater and rebooted

I ran kernel patch from #1 post

I reinstalled my 10.9.5 IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from my working 10.10.0 Yosemite drive

I tried rebuilding kextcache manually according to gulftown

->Still PCI Configuration Begin

Try my caches_rebuild.command instead of manual cache rebuild. and remember that you need kext-dev-mode=1

I'm verifying that the rebuild is working through console, the only errors I'm getting are:

WmLZopB.png

But I think I got similar ones when I installed 10.10.0 (and that works fine), and they are just omitted and not system critical (?)

The output proceeds with

v4pqiUt.png

I'm verifying that the rebuild is working through console, the only errors I'm getting are:

WmLZopB.png

But I think I got similar ones when I installed 10.10.0 (and that works fine), and they are just omitted and not system critical (?)

The output proceeds with

v4pqiUt.png

These errors are exactly causing my thunderbolt not to work! I have done some tests with AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext on my 8-core and found out

that with the stock kext I see my thunderbolt working but then I'm stuck and can't get in the OS.

When I use Stinga's 8-core files I'm able to boot but then getting these errors and no thunderbolt.

So can any one explain what the modifications are regarding these two kext for i7-5960X 8-core?

I would love to have this solved so that I can use Thunderbolt on my gigabyte-TB 2 PCI card.

I'm willing to do any tests.

Ed

If someone has a 5960x and also has another computer, I have an idea.

1. For this test, I need the person use Chameleon as bootloader.

2. The person needs to have another computer running yosemite. must be hackintosh can not be real mac.

boot your hard drive in a computer that if work with Yosemite. Once up and change the all kexts with the kexts that are in the zip file. Once you've done that run my caches_rebuild.command when it finish turn off the machine and changes the hard drive to the computer with 5960x.

Hi Stinga,

Can you explane what you did with the IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

I'm running a 5960X and see that these kexts messing up my Thunderbolt.

So I would love to have that fixed in some way. Without them I have PCI wait issue.

Or could it be I have to extract DSDT and remove some PCI devices? to solve this.

I hope you or some one can help or point me.

Thanks

Hi Stinga,

Can you explane what you did with the IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

So I would love to have that fixed in some way. Without them I have PCI wait issue.

Or could it be I have to extract DSDT and remove some PCI devices? to solve this.

Thanks

Sooner or later something would happen remember it, these kexts are PCI, and you can not use an older version forever.

Hi Stinga,

Thanks

The kexts are the stock kexts from Mavericks. The TB kext is looking for the Yosemite versions. Maybe you should try the thunderbolt kexts from mavericks as well.

Interesting that you had this issue, because firewire PCI card doesn't work on my 5960x build. I gave up on figuring out why. I see that your Firewire kext is also refusing to load. Must be the same issue. I bet if I roll back the firewire kext it will load.

• Like 1

Sooner or later something would happen remember it, these kexts are PCI, and you can not use an older version forever.

That is why I wanted to know what you did so I could try to edit the current ones.

I need to have working TB and I know I can run 10.9.5 to achieve that but looking forward is always better

The kexts are the stock kexts from Mavericks. The TB kext is looking for the Yosemite versions. Maybe you should try the thunderbolt kexts from mavericks as well.

Interesting that you had this issue, because firewire PCI card doesn't work on my 5960x build. I gave up on figuring out why. I see that your Firewire kext is also refusing to load. Must be the same issue. I bet if I roll back the firewire kext it will load.

Are you sure about the stock kext from Mavericks?

I did try them on 10.10.3 but then my machine won't boot. Stuck at PCI configuration begin. 

That is why I wanted to know what you did so I could try to edit the current ones.

I need to have working TB and I know I can run 10.9.5 to achieve that but looking forward is always better

Aside from possibly rolling back TB kexts, we can only hope for Haswell-E support from Apple. Although I don't even know if that will fix the issue. 

I've looked through The DSDTs as well as The IOPCIFamily source code, I've done hex diffs on the different versions, and I've run them through Hopper Disassembler... I couldn't find anything that seemed like it would be causing it. But I know very little about this stuff, so someone who knows what they're doing would have to take a look at it and hopefully find something.

Are you sure about the stock kext from Mavericks?

I did try them on 10.10.3 but then my machine won't boot. Stuck at PCI configuration begin. 

Yes I remember stinga figuring this out in the beginning, they were either the or 10.9.4 10.9.5 kexts. Not sure why your machine didn't boot but that's what the ones he posted are. Getting stuck at PCI config begin means the cache might not have been cleared properly or something.

Kext rollbacks will probably work for quite some time, but the further along we get in OS versions the more things will be broken. People are still using SL kext rollbacks for some things last time i checked.

hi, I would like to make a new pc with cpu i7-5820K but I can't understand what is the current situation with the x99 chip.

I read of working configurations without problems, then some users complain mem map problems (with which motherboards? all?), other users complain about problems with USB ports....In short, I have no clear idea to make a decision about the motherboard to buy...

What do you recommend?

thanks

hi, I would like to make a new pc with cpu i7-5820K but I can't understand what is the current situation with the x99 chip.

I read of working configurations without problems, then some users complain mem map problems (with which motherboards? all?), other users complain about problems with USB ports....In short, I have no clear idea to make a decision about the motherboard to buy...

What do you recommend?

thanks

Hi, Well let me try to explain. The X99 platform does not has native support from apple. If you want to build a X99 platform you need to patch the kernel in all updates or use clover that for me is the best choice for this platform. The 5820k and 5930k works like a charm with yosemite and I suppose that should works with El capitan but the 5960x only works on Mavericks if you want to use with yosemite you need change two kexts that you need get from mavericks 10.9.5 and I cant warranty that this workaround works in the future versions, if you read this entire thread you will notice that too many people has problem with the 5960x, if you want this cpu my recommendation is, stay on mavericks 10.9.5.

For sure I will choose the CPU i7-5820K.

I am undecided about the motherboard to use to have as few problems as possible and much stability.

I'd rather buy a Asus, any of these models its ok? X99-A, X99-S, X99-Pro or X99-Deluxe?

Edited by NeXtor

@ Edkroket I just tried installing the IOFireWireFamily.kext from 10.9.5 and my FireWire PCI-E card works now. So I think it's probably something similar with your Thunderbolt card.

Thanks for sharing I'll try all the thunderbolt kext as well.

Hello,

I am French and I speak very little English.
Following this article, I created a post-install for easy installation of X79 and X99.
Tell me what you think!
Sincerely,
Fred

Looks nice and would like to try but I don't read french.

If you translate it in English would be better.