Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

I can boot the installer with my 12-core Xeon, but can not yet get 10.11.2 installed.

It finishes the first installation series, then hangs on "Rebooting in 1 second." If I reboot manually, then it does not continue the installation.

NM, I waited a good while and it reboots, but still does not continue the installation.

Interesting.  I haven't yet made it to the installer on my 12-core Xeon.  I think I've tried everything, not really sure what the difference is between your setup and mine.

Hello..

I installed successfully El Capitan on Dual XEON E5-2680 v3 with Nvidia GTX 960 or GT 740 and latest Nvidia webdrivers.

Now my problem, what I am working for many weeks without success: With nv_disable=1 the system is working almost smoothly with a little bit flickering, but with nvda_drv=1 unresponsive and laggy like hell!   :wallbash:

Does anyone have tips or ideas? Please help me to get a smoothly working system.. 

I´m posting it here, because the chipset C612 of Asus Z10PE-D8 WS is similar to X99.

Thanks!  :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello..

I installed successfully El Capitan on Dual XEON E5-2680 v3 with Nvidia GTX 960 or GT 740 and latest Nvidia webdrivers.

Now my problem, what I am working for many weeks without success: With nv_disable=1 the system is working almost smoothly with a little bit flickering, but with nvda_drv=1 unresponsive and laggy like hell!   :wallbash:

Does anyone have tips or ideas? Please help me to get a smoothly working system.. 

I´m posting it here, because the chipset C612 of Asus Z10PE-D8 WS is similar to X99.

Thanks!  :thumbsup_anim:

When you say unresponsive and laggy like hell, it only happens when you open or close an application (say, Finder) and then the system will hang for around 5 seconds?

I've been having this same problem and I gave up and ended up using Yosemite with my old Quadro K420 instead. It seems that the Nvidia Web Drivers don't work well with dual CPU configurations, and/or TSC sync'ing is causing the issue.

However, when I delete VoodooTSCSync.kext from Clover, my system will KP and not boot anymore :(

I just finished an x99 build. It's an evga x99 classified with a 5960x and gtx 980. I'm happy to report it was a very easy setup and works almost flawlessly. Clover boots in uefi mode with no issues, Ethernet works with mieze's kext (I've only tried one of the ports, haven't installed the kext for the other yet), only a couple of small bugs so far...

-Ethernet is reported as en2, I used my existing install so this is expected. Simple fix, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

-my pcie FireWire card isn't detected on os x. Odd because it's a natively supported chipset and it was working in my z68 build. Works in windows. Anyone have FireWire working on an x99 build?

-for some reason dockmod stopped working. The dock just crashes repeatedly. Haven't tried to fix this yet.

The reason I chose to take a risk and be the guinea pig for this board is that I had a bad experience with my gigabyte z68 board, and I'm not comfortable buying an Asus product due to their terrible customer service. Also, it's one of the only boards with which USB 2.0 ports for me. I have almost 20 USB devices - multiple mice, midi devices, audio interface, etc. And considering genericusbxhci is required for optimal performance on x99 I didn't want to plug them into the 3.0 ports and just leave those for hard drives only.

I would definitely recommend an evga board to anyone considering an x99 build.

my firewire just stopped working. works in windows. just recently installed most current software update.

also did a fresh install on another SSD & it's not doing it with that one either.

5960X

X99 Deluxe

Yosemite

Clover

my firewire just stopped working. works in windows. just recently installed most current software update.

also did a fresh install on another SSD & it's not doing it with that one either.

5960X

X99 Deluxe

Yosemite

Clover

Which update is that, 10.11.3 or 10.11.4 or even 10.11.5 ? Read about it here: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/14/apple-os-x-10-11-4-el-capitan-public-beta/or also on here but don't have the link now by hand. Ah final version is now available also: http://www.insanelymac.com/_/osx86/os-x-10113-build-15d21-final-version-avai-r1060

5960X

X99 Deluxe

Yosemite

Clover

Hi, did you roll back your firewire kexts? you need to roll them back to the 10.9.5 versions to work with the IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIPlatform rollbacks. That's what fixed it for me. You can use my IOFireWireFamily rollback kext if you like (made using "Make Me Legacy" app) so that it won't be broken next time you update. 

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1gm9s32lc0qyjdq/AAAzUxfcR6E1xKipV0uAmL00a?dl=0

• 1 month later...

Successful installation of Deluxe Asus X99 Cpu 5960x on Yosemite10.10.5

captur10.jpg

This is similar to my build except i've Asus X99-E-WS as mainboard. I run too an overclock to 4.3 and 4.4 ghz, but the problem is that speedstep is still not supported so cpu will run ALWAYS at higher frequency even when it's in idle mode!

This is similar to my build except i've Asus X99-E-WS as mainboard. I run too an overclock to 4.3 and 4.4 ghz, but the problem is that speedstep is still not supported so cpu will run ALWAYS at higher frequency even when it's in idle mode!

since the CPU is locked in standby mode it must be identical.

I suppose

since the CPU is locked in standby mode it must be identical.

I suppose

Sure! This is a big problem for this system at the moment. I hope that Apple will support this in the next pro's hw revisions...if there will be a future hw revision of the mac pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nightflyer,

You just still havnt got the right setting in kexts and Bios, I suppose. I have a very fast running system and quite good speedsteps.

Watch the frequence line in Intel Power Gadget, showing Geekbench and Cinebench action. Frequency jumps from 1.2 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz. Power draw with hardware watt meter for the computer jumps from 115W idle to 370W in Cinebench. I managed to run my processor stable at 4.4 Ghz and just 1.2 volt  processor voltage.

post-1621613-0-92986700-1457992739_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Nightflyer,

You just still havnt got the right setting in kexts and Bios, I suppose. I have a very fast running system and quite good speedsteps.

Watch the frequence line in Intel Power Gadget, showing Geekbench and Cinebench action. Frequency jumps from 1.2 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz. Power draw with hardware watt meter for the computer jumps from 115W idle to 370W in Cinebench. I managed to run my processor stable at 4.4 Ghz and just 1.2 volt  processor voltage.

Which kext settings do you use? And please can you post your bios settings?

Which kext settings do you use? And please can you post your bios settings?

Hey nightflyer,

I had to turn off IntelXHCI in BIOS in order to get the 5960x to step down during idle. Flip side is that I lose all USB ports except two on the back, which I can get back by adding an aftermarket USB 3 PCIe card (although I don't really need the USB ports anyways). Turns out something in the IntelXHCI is causing a massive amount of interrupts (something like 200,000 a second) which you can observe with the powermetrics command in terminal. These interrupts keep the CPU from idling down. It's not speedstep in that the Vcore doesn't step down, but it defintely helps in terms of temps and power consumption. You can install genericxhci kext to get back the USB ports after turning off intelXHCI in BIOS, but this was too buggy/laggy on my system, and it was easier to live without the USB ports or use the USB PCIe card. HTHs!

Hey nightflyer,

I had to turn off IntelXHCI in BIOS in order to get the 5960x to step down during idle. Flip side is that I lose all USB ports except two on the back, which I can get back by adding an aftermarket USB 3 PCIe card (although I don't really need the USB ports anyways). Turns out something in the IntelXHCI is causing a massive amount of interrupts (something like 200,000 a second) which you can observe with the powermetrics command in terminal. These interrupts keep the CPU from idling down. It's not speedstep in that the Vcore doesn't step down, but it defintely helps in terms of temps and power consumption. You can install genericxhci kext to get back the USB ports after turning off intelXHCI in BIOS, but this was too buggy/laggy on my system, and it was easier to live without the USB ports or use the USB PCIe card. HTHs!

Thanks for your answer...what brand of USB3 pci-e card is native with OSX?

Hey nightflyer,

You can also avoid the interrupts by using the GenericUSBXHCI kext. Everyone with an X99 build should either be using this kext or disabling XHCI in the BIOS because not only does it prevent it from idling properly, but it also drastically hurts performance.

• Like 2

Thanks for your answer...what brand of USB3 pci-e card is native with OSX?

There's whole thread on the other forum about which cards are compatible, I use the intatek KTU3FR-502U, but there are many others described on the thread.

edit - just saw jamiethemorris' post. yeah my geekbench jumped up by 2,500 after turning off intelXHCI. I tried GenericUSBXHCI kext, but it was pretty buggy for me, it was easier for me to turn off intelXHCI

• 5 months later...

You need to delete ThunderboltNHI.kext.  Don't worry TB will still work at full speed.  I can't remember why, but it solved the issue for me - there is info floating around about it out there...  

I have an Asus X99 D/Thunderbolt 2 Card and 2 GPUS (which created even crazier problems), and I had similar issues.  Is there an option in BIOS to adjust the NB_PCI Slot number for the TB card to reflect where it is physically installed?  Secure Boot is disabled/Keys unloaded right?  Also try disabling Fast Boot...  Your first goal should be getting it to show in Windows with legacy security enabled - as it won't work in OS X without Legacy Security enabled.  If Windows isn't seeing it, there's no chance in OS X as it isn't registering in BIOS resource charts.  I know Microsoft has all these strict rules about M.2 drives and Secure Boot codes too which some mfr.'s add in BIOS, it may reflect on TB2 cards.  Maybe CSM has to be enabled?  You can still boot with CSM enabled...

When I had issues with 3 PCI cards building (2 GPUs and 1 TB Card) in the resource charts on my MB this is what I did... it could be a starting point for you.  I edited the steps a bit for your specific situation...

1. Reset CMOS - Start Fresh
  2. Install 1st GPU (ONLY GPU, no TB card or other PCI devices)
  3. Boot into Bios and disable fast boot, make other BIOS adjustments necessary for your setup
  4. OPTIONAL: then advanced>boot - change Intl19 Trap Response to Postponed and Above 4G Decoding to Enabled (If an option on your MB) - Save/Exit
  5. Boot to Win OS (this allows resource chart to rebuild) then power down
  6. Install 2nd GPU (if Applicable) and TB card to mfr suggested Slot (changing location to NB_PCI slot in BIOS and security to Legacy)
  7. Boot to Win OS (again rebuilding resource chart, adding the TB card) and see if TB Card is available
  8. If TB card is avail in Win, boot to OS X and delete ThunderboltNHI.kext and rebuild caches etc... 

Good luck!

When I enable Above 4G Decoding OSX fails to boot. Any idea how to get around this?

• 11 months later...

Hello
I've x99-ud4 (the latest bios F23 version) with 5960x cpu i7
I've menage to install Sierra 10.12.6 with geforce GTX 960 all good and work
But the ThunderBolt (i add gc-thunderbolt add-on card) not work on system is say: Driver Not Loaded

On bios thunderbolt is at :unique-id (i try 'legacy' as well too)

The system boot up but not recognizing Thunderbolt (UAD Apollo Sound Card)

Please help.