Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, stinga11

I have an E5-2630 V3 CPU (LGA2011-3), but I haven't purchase a motherboard for it yet, as I am considering if I should choose X99 or C612.

I'd like to know that will this kernel patch works on C612 too?

And do you think this 8cores16Threads CPU would be as problematic as 5960X?

Thanks for help! :)

Hi, stinga11

I have an E5-2630 V3 CPU (LGA2011-3), but I haven't purchase a motherboard for it yet, as I am considering if I should choose X99 or C612.

I'd like to know that will this kernel patch works on C612 too?

And do you think this 8cores16Threads CPU would be as problematic as 5960X?

Thanks for help! :)

I'm sure going to give you problems like the other does. But if you take the necessary kexts from 10.9.5 and you change the version number for 999.99.9 and you put another name such as "Legacy" (There is an application on another hackintosh page that does this for you). you should not have problems with updates. As for the motherboard I do not think there is a difference but just in case, choose X99. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@stinga11,

In your first post you mention that Apple has recently added support for Haswell-E in their open source kernel.  Does this mean that CPU power management and sleep/wake will work if using the open source kernel?

Also, do you think that this means apple is working on support for C610/X99 chipsets?

@stinga11,

In your first post you mention that Apple has recently added support for Haswell-E in their open source kernel.  Does this mean that CPU power management and sleep/wake will work if using the open source kernel?

Also, do you think that this means apple is working on support for C610/X99 chipsets?

No, we need to wait that apple add support to vanilla kernel.

No, we need to wait that apple add support to vanilla kernel.

Got it, as I suspected.  Do you know which version of Darwin has the added support?  I see the 10.11 betas are now on Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0, xnu-3247.1.99~3.

Also, where in the darwin kernel code do you see Haswell-E support?  It would be interesting to see where they implement it.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you able to test this yet?

Yes finally I have the patient and time to test the kext from 10.9.5

I can tell you I'm on 10.10.5 now on my 8-core and have thunderbolt and firewire working!

I've made these kext legacy with the Make me Legacy App.:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleMCP89RootPortPM.kext

All AppleThunderbolt......kext

IOFireWireFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

IOThunderboltFamily.kext

and installed them with Kext helper b7

repaired caches_rebuild.command 

and had no more dependencies issues and rebooted.

FireWire and Thunderbolt are working as they should.

I mean as far as I can test this with my TB to Ethernet adapter from Apple of course.

But I know when that part works the rest will be just fine!

Thank you all again for pointing me in the right direction!

Ed

• Like 2

You got it working on your 8-core eh?

Man, I'd love Yosemite and my Thunderbolt Dual EXII card to work on my x99 Deluxe / 5960k machine. If anyone has a step-by-step I'd love to hear it. 

Right now I'm on 10.9.5 and Thunderbolt is no workie. When I enable it I get a message on boot that there are problems to do with com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily and com.apple.iokit.IOPCIfamily.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes finally I have the patient and time to test the kext from 10.9.5

I can tell you I'm on 10.10.5 now on my 8-core and have thunderbolt and firewire working!

I've made these kext legacy with the Make me Legacy App.:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleMCP89RootPortPM.kext

All AppleThunderbolt......kext

IOFireWireFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

IOThunderboltFamily.kext

and installed them with Kext helper b7

repaired caches_rebuild.command 

and had no more dependencies issues and rebooted.

FireWire and Thunderbolt are working as they should.

I mean as far as I can test this with my TB to Ethernet adapter from Apple of course.

But I know when that part works the rest will be just fine!

Thank you all again for pointing me in the right direction!

Ed

I have to add that I use Unique-ID for TB settings in BIOS and the kext I used are from 10.9.5

And yes My sig changes every week/month so don't count on that.

hello all ..

i was at 10.10.3 and update from App Store to 10.10.5

and after that i can't boot to os x

i enter to clover guy press enter on macintosh hd after that i see apple logo with loading bar

it move little and restart the computer.

i have usb stick with 10.10.3 backup i try to reinstall kext nothing

please help me

i have x99-ud4 5960x

You have to patch kernel again and restart in save mode first. Then it will update and boot fine.

If you have clover to patch it then only boot in save mode. interrupt the boot process in clover and hit spacebar.

There you will find boot options. OSX needs first to finish installation and that it will do in save-mode. Be patient.

You have to patch kernel again and restart in save mode first. Then it will update and boot fine.

If you have clover to patch it then only boot in save mode. interrupt the boot process in clover and hit spacebar.

There you will find boot options. OSX needs first to finish installation and that it will do in save-mode. Be patient.

dude i restore os x form USB i made

now i have 10.10.3 

i think i will stay with this version i don't understand what you say,

i have Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 PCIe card when i Enable this card on BIOS

the os x not boot up

i get black screen

when i Disable it from Bios it boot up normally.

you can help me to run this thunderbolt 2 card ?

now i have 10.10.3 

i think i will stay with this version i don't understand what you say,

i have Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 PCIe card when i Enable this card on BIOS

the os x not boot up

i get black screen

when i Disable it from Bios it boot up normally.

you can help me to run this thunderbolt 2 card ?

Do you have TB in PCI-2 slot?

Did you delete AppleThunderboltNHI.kext?

This one causes slow boot.?

I thought yo updated to 10.10.5 My mistake. :-)

I have to add that I use Unique-ID for TB settings in BIOS and the kext I used are from 10.9.5

And yes My sig changes every week/month so don't count on that.

Thanks for following up on that from earlier Ed.

However, I am having trouble reproducing this over here. With an ASUS Deluxe & 5960X.

1. I installed each kext that you listed after making them legacy

2. 10.10.5 installed

3. Chameleon v2700

4. Have the TB card in the second PCI-e slot

5. Set BIOS to Unique ID (usually I use legacy, but tried both)

I do not get any TB devices picked up in Network (with TB to Eth adapter connected).

Is there something I am missing?

Hey guys I need your help to update the guide. I need someone try running Yosemite 10.10.5 without a patch to see if it works.

So update the 10.10.5 combo update and restart? no kernel patch? Anything else?  Installing 10.10.5 Combo on my otherwise working (see above) 5960X system.

Just FYI, other E5-26xx V3 CPUs have not needed a kernel patch since like 10.10.2 or so. The i7's do, and so does the E5-2697 V3.

Edit: Good call Stinga. My 5960X systems starts up without a kernel patch in place under 10.10.5. I still have the Legacy IOPCIFamily and ACPIPlatform.

Don't suppose you have found any way to get rid of those two legacy kexts, have you? My Xeon V3's don't need them if they are 4,6, or 12-core CPUs. Again the 14-core E5-2697 V3 needs it though ;(

• Like 1

So update the 10.10.5 combo update and restart? no kernel patch? Anything else?  Installing 10.10.5 Combo on my otherwise working (see above) 5960X system.

Just FYI, other E5-26xx V3 CPUs have not needed a kernel patch since like 10.10.2 or so. The i7's do, and so does the E5-2697 V3.

Edit: Good call Stinga. My 5960X systems starts up without a kernel patch in place under 10.10.5. I still have the Legacy IOPCIFamily and ACPIPlatform.

Don't suppose you have found any way to get rid of those two legacy kexts, have you? My Xeon V3's don't need them if they are 4,6, or 12-core CPUs. Again the 14-core E5-2697 V3 needs it though ;(

Thank you for the test. For the moment all the CPU with more than 6 core need to use these kext.

Thank you for the test. For the moment all the CPU with more than 6 core need to use these kext.

No problem!

Not quite. I can use a 12-core Xeon V3 completely vanilla, and have been able to do so since 10.10.2. No kernel patch, no 10.9.5 IOPCI or ACPIPlatform. I don't need VoodooTSCSync either.

Edit: Edkroket

I am able to get the TB to Eth adapter to work now. Thanks!

• Like 1