Nvidia Web Driver updates for Yosemite [UPDATE: 07/21/2017]

fantomas

670 posts in this topic

i have install the Yosemite beta 10.10.1, now the nvidia driver say i have a incompatible software system. howto change the version string to add the new version?

greetings

Edit the Info.plist in NVDAStartup.kext and change NVDARequiredOS string to current Yosemite version (14B17).

for those who have the last nvidia web driver (this also concerns the previous releases) and have the 'CUDA Driver update required' message with the last CUDA 6.5.18 driver version, here's the fix:

Go to /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources then open Info.plist.

Find <key>NVDAResmanVersions</key> and add this:

<key>343.01.01</key>

<string>343.01.01</string>

Odd this fixed the update message for me but the path to the plist was different.  I had to go to:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Resources/Info.plist

hi Garm

it's the same path, you just used the alias of the original folder   ;)

Ah that it explains it thanks for the helpful posts! I was able to get CUDA back up and running looking at another of your posts in a different thread.

• Like 1

Probs:
Since the beginning of Yosemite i have an major prob with my GPU Nvidia GT 440.

If i use Preview and change something on an pic - doesnt matter if i cut out, use some effects.

First the mini preview (left side) pic shoes wrong colours ( hue complete wrong) and after closing the app (pic is saved) the pic reopened

ist mostly white?!

Opened pic, all OK.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-14 um 13.10.30.jpg

Some pic effects = mini preview(left side) ?? colours 

Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-14 um 13.11.27.jpg

closing app (pic is saved) and reopening that pic: near complete white?!

Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-09 um 12.02.39.jpg

I also have a weird problem. This happens when I copy - paste an  image in preview.Very strange.

Dont know if its related to drivers.

post-1111706-0-76767300-1415990748_thumb.jpg

Probs:
Since the beginning of Yosemite i have an major prob with my GPU Nvidia GT 440.

If i use Preview and change something on an pic - doesnt matter if i cut out, use some effects.

First the mini preview (left side) pic shoes wrong colours ( hue complete wrong) and after closing the app (pic is saved) the pic reopened

ist mostly white?!

Opened pic, all OK.

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2014-11-14 um 13.10.30.jpg

Some pic effects = mini preview(left side) ?? colours 

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2014-11-14 um 13.11.27.jpg

closing app (pic is saved) and reopening that pic: near complete white?!

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2014-11-09 um 12.02.39.jpg

I can also reproduce this.Same problem here.

i figered out what preview uses running (which libs, frameworks are loaded running preview). Uses OpenCL.

I tested to use the Framework OpenCL (in system/frameworks) from 10.9.5.

And that happens when i change some effects on an pic:

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2014-11-15 um 11.08.05.jpg

:)

Nothing bad anymore: pic (left side) stays normal and more good : the saved pic didnt get corrupted anymore.

So OpenCL probs can happen not only by the gpu drivers - switching OS X <> Nvidia Web divers didnt fix the prob!! - also

the OpenCL framework, can be bugged (or at least not compatible with a wide range of non apple gpu types).

Do you fix that problem?If you solve,how?

• Like 1

Do you fix that problem?If you solve,how?

I had the very same issue, so I tried what mitch_de said and used the Framework OpenCL (in system/frameworks) from 10.9.5. It worked for me and now I have no more issues editing pics. Thanks mitch_ de while I'm waiting for some real fix of this bug it's a good temp fix.

Sorry, i deleted that post.

Using OpenCL Framework from 10.9.5 fixed that preview issue - but by disabling OpenCL complete :(

So other (most benches) OpenCL apps like Luxmark, OpenCL Oceanwaves Bench cant run anymore.

But thats not an major prob, if you use that disabling OpenCL method - ist not really needed because CPU is used

for that tasks, normally acellerated by OpernCL gpu. 

I restored the Framework - but i think there is less hope to fix that prob without disabling OpenCL complete (with some gpu types)

Would be interesting which similar lowend Nvidia gpus (like my GT 440), 740/750? perhaps didnt have that prob.

• Like 1

Sorry, i deleted that post.

Using OpenCL Framework from 10.9.5 fixed that preview issue - but by disabling OpenCL complete :(

So other (most benches) OpenCL apps like Luxmark, OpenCL Oceanwaves Bench cant run anymore.

But thats not an major prob, if you use that disabling OpenCL method - ist not really needed because CPU is used

for that tasks, normally acellerated by OpernCL gpu. 

I restored the Framework - but i think there is less hope to fix that prob without disabling OpenCL complete (with some gpu types)

Would be interesting which similar lowend Nvidia gpus (like my GT 440), 740/750? perhaps didnt have that prob.

Thanks for posting but I want you to know that in my case I tested with Cinebench and Heaven and it seems to work. Btw I can use Preview with quick edits while before your suggest I could not. We'll see what comes next for this problem.

Yep, disabling OpenCL should not have any bad side effekts on most apps (or OpenGL).

EDIT: Other (better) workaround (than disabling OpenCL by using older openCL Framework):

I tried to use preview.app from 10.9.5 with Yosemite : WORKS so far tested !

No pic corruption as with preview version for 10.10! 10.10 Version seems to use more of the OpenCL API (images) that older Preview version = 

running in probs with some gpus.

That shows that not only drivers / frameworks may make probs - also apps which more and more use OpenCL maybe problematic.

Yep, disabling OpenCL should not have any bad side effekts on most apps (or OpenGL).

EDIT: Other (better) workaround (than disabling OpenCL by using older openCL Framework):

I tried to use preview.app from 10.9.5 with Yosemite : WORKS so far tested !

No pic corruption as with preview version for 10.10! 10.10 Version seems to use more of the OpenCL API (images) that older Preview version = 

running in probs with some gpus.

That shows that not only drivers / frameworks may make probs - also apps which more and more use OpenCL maybe problematic.

The only problem is what will not work Lexmark for me.

hi guys, why this?

Cuda_Pannel.png

If i disable my firewall (Hands Off!), server is available, but I don't know what rules blocks cuda servers...

I've not rules regarding cuda or nvidia... any idea?

EDIT: I solved... for some reason Hands off! had a rule to block system preferences...

I've been having all kinds of graphics issues since the Yosemite upgrade. After updating to 10.10.1 and installing the new web driver things have gotten so bad that I'm returning to my 10.9.5 back up. The native OS X driver is better, but still problematic.

There are tons of reports of screen corruption with the Yosemite upgrade, some even after doing a clean install. Many reports are in Apple's forums, many in Adobe's; from what I've seen the common factor in all cases is a Nvidia graphics chipset.

My favourite post is this one from Eizo (makers of colour calibrated monitors) http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/os_x_yosemite_eizo_software/index.html

Basically it says don't upgrade, the graphics drivers in all cases are pooched.

It is, in my opinion, shameful that Apple, even after all the beta testing, would release such a steaming pile of {censored}. I remember users complaining about Lion, comparing it to M$ Vista (which was pretty dismal) though I never really had any problems with it. However, this time around, I haven't seen graphics drivers this bad since Windows 3.1 and trust me, that's saying a lot.

• Like 1

well now that I updated to 10.10.2 Previe is totally scr*** ... damn.. no images only a transparent square and also many other graphics problems. so bad.. I know it's a beta  but I did't think about such a bad result for graphics..