Nvidia Web Driver updates for Yosemite [UPDATE: 07/21/2017]

fantomas

670 posts in this topic

Has someone in idea what the exclude-oats.txt (within the OpenGL driver , resources) has for an meaning?

Does it config some workaround? (Lots of text about Channel_exception bugs = hangs /stalls , often happened with Nvidia gpus)

# Exclude list for OATS tests for Branch GB10.
# When editing, look for all occurences of your bug number, there could be more than one.

# Lines that beging with #= limits the exclusion to the named GPU devices or GPU families.
# The scope ends at the next blank line.
# By default the tests will be excluded for all devices, same effect as using the tag #= ALL
# The tag #= NONE can be used to omit the exclusion for all devices.

# For Future expansion:
# Lines that begin with #? contain information about the nature of the failure.
# Keywords include: Hang Crash Failure Waiver Success GLErrors Intermittent Channel_exception

# Tests included in Apple's test list but not actually included in the OATS drop.
# Many of these are app tests anyway, which we may not want to run in automation.
#? Mandatory
#= ALL
3rdPartyApps/COD4/launch.py
3rdPartyApps/Cascaded_Shadow_Map/CSM_NV_Test
3rdPartyApps/Cascaded_Shadow_Map/CSM_NV_Test.app/Contents/MacOS/CSM_NV_Test
3rdPartyApps/Cinebench10/cinebench10.py
3rdPartyApps/Cinebench11/cinebench11.py
3rdPartyApps/Cinebench9/cinebench9.py
3rdPartyApps/Doom3/Doom3
3rdPartyApps/EnemyTerritory/ETQWTester.py
3rdPartyApps/Portal/PortalTester.py
3rdPartyApps/Star2/Star2Tester.py
GLKMath/GLKMath/basic/basic
GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoaderTest -t 2D -a NO -e bmp
GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoaderTest -t 2D -a NO -e jpg
GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoader/GLKTextureLoaderTest -t 2D -a NO -e png

# Bug: 1032914 Buffers/null_surface causes channel errors and system hang.
# Bug: 1031314 Mac: D2: Some OATS tests cause channel exceptions
#? Hang Channel
#= ALL
Buffers/null_surface

# Bug 1158140 Bug 1059290, Bug 1043550 - Channel exception and machine hang on J31 / TOT.
# Bug 1158140 Test Malicious/infiniteloop Causing Some OATS Systems to Hang
# Bug 1059290 Malicious/infiniteloop times out
# Bug 1043550 -Closed- gk1xx: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! running "Malicious/infiniteloop"
# GB10 GB7 GB7-1 GB8 GB9-2 GB9-2-CLASSIC TOT TOT-CAB TOT-CLASSIC
# Malicious/lotstriangles is Intermittent Success/Failure on GB10.
#? Hang Failure Channel
#= gk10x
Malicious/infiniteloop
Malicious/lotstriangles

# Bug 1160083 Channel exceptions in GB9-2, w. J31
# Bug 1160083 Channel exceptions in dev_a, w. K40
# GB7 GB7-1 GB8 GB9-2 GB9-2-CLASSIC TOT TOT-CAB TOT-CLASSIC gpu_drv_dev_a gpu_drv_dev_a_mcp8x gpu_drv_dev_a_tot_rm gpu_drv_stage_mac gpu_drv_stage_mac_mcp8x tot-nv-eng totclassic
# Not GB10 GB9 GB9-5, they are OK, tot-nv-eng with gk10x and totclassic with mcp8x have intermittent Channel exception.
#? Failure Channel Intermittent Success
#= g8x g9x gf10x gk10x gt20x mcp8x
#GLSL/GLSLGoldenImage/leizex

# Bug 1328725 [fasttrack regression] [OATS] [TOT] - OATS GL3Core/ubo/uboTypeCombination - new errors and then it hangs.
# GB10 TOT gpu_drv_dev_a tot-nv-eng totclassic
#? Hang
#= ALL
GL3Core/ubo/uboTypeCombination

# Bug 1412346 Channel exception and graphics hang
# GB10 GB7 GB7-1 GB8 GB9-2 GB9-2-CLASSIC TOT TOT-CAB TOT-CLASSIC gpu_drv_dev_a totclassic tot-nv-eng totclassic
#? Failure Crash glError
#= gk10x mcp8x
GL3Core/ubo/uboIndirect

# Bug 1482711 [fasttrack regression] [OATS] [TOT] - GL3Core/context/memoryleak_core - Hang
# It fails on gk107 but works on gk104.
# GB10 TOT gpu_drv_dev_a tot-nv-eng
#? Hang
#= gk107
GL3Core/context/memoryleak_core

# Bug 1482741 [fasttrack regression] [OATS] [TOT] - GL3Core/ubo/uboStruct - Many errors and then Hang
# GB10 TOT gpu_drv_dev_a tot-nv-eng totclassic
# Introspect says it hangs but it did complete eventually when run manually. Lots of printouts.
#? Hang 
#= ALL
GL3Core/ubo/uboStruct

# Bug 1482786 [fasttrack regression] [OATS] [TOT] - WebGL/WebGLTester.app/Contents/MacOS/WebGLTester --testListFile ../../../base_conform.txt - Hang
# GB10 GB9-5 TOT gpu_drv_dev_a tot-nv-eng totclassic
#? Hang Failure Intermittent
#= ALL
WebGL/WebGLTester.app/Contents/MacOS/WebGLTester --testListFile ../../../base_conform.txt

# Bug 1485216 [OATS] [GB10] - Hooked/OpenGL4Tests/hooked_test -extension gpu_shader_fp64 - Hang
# GB10 TOT gpu_drv_dev_a tot-nv-eng
# GB10 always hangs, Intermittent Hang/Failure on the others.
#? Hang
#= gk10x 
Hooked/OpenGL4Tests/hooked_test -extension gpu_shader_fp64

• Like 1

Does Nvidia Beta 5 drivers work with beta 6?

Not sure I didn't try them.

I altered the GM 3 installer so it would install, but it still says incompatible with this version of OS X in System Preferences.

There's probably a couple of other places in the install that specify the build the drivers will work with.

Not sure I didn't try them.

I altered the GM 3 installer so it would install, but it still says incompatible with this version of OS X in System Preferences.

There's probably a couple of other places in the install that specify the build the drivers will work with.

Yeah I tried editing the "NVDARequiredOS" line in the NVDAStartup.kext but I still can't install due to the OS version not being compatible. 

I'm really trying to figure out a way to get drivers installed for PB6 because I just got my GTX 970 and my wife will only use OS X and won't touch Windows! 

Yeah I tried editing the "NVDARequiredOS" line in the NVDAStartup.kext but I still can't install due to the OS version not being compatible. 

first, use pacifist to extract the kexts then edit the NVDARequiredOS line in the NVDAStartup.kext

after that, use kext wizard or what you want to install the kexts in S/L/E

repair the permissions and rebuild the cache

boot with -v kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1

Capture d’écran 2014-10-15 Ã  15.15.56.png

first, use pacifist to extract the kexts then edit the NVDARequiredOS line in the NVDAStartup.kext

after that, use kext wizard or what you want to install the kexts in S/L/E

repair the permissions and rebuild the cache

boot with -v kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1

attachicon.gifnull

EDIT: Thanks! I got it!

I had done a reinstall then updated straight to pb6 so I currently have no other nvidia drivers installed.

So per your instructions after editing the NVDAstartup.kext I would use kext wizard to install ALL kexts in the pb5 driver package to S/L/E? What about the other files in the pb5 pkg? 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Got the Nvidia driver installed and it is now working, but still shows up as "NVIDIA Chip Model" in About this Mac/System Information.

I used 

pkgutil --expand

to extract the installation package.

Edit the file "Distribution" and change the build from 14A388a to 14A388b 

Edit the Info.plist file in the NVDAStartup.kext and change the build in there too.

Then use

pkgutil --flatten

To put it all back into a .pkg so you can install it  

• Like 1

Edit the file "Distribution" and change the build from 14A388a to 14A388b

or just delete these two lines

if (!validateHardware()) return false; 

if (!validateSoftware()) return false;

it will delete hardware and software check function

;)

• Like 1

Working fine for me here. In fact, I found the PM bug was fixed even without the web drivers in default Yosemite. GTX 780.

Open a picture (png/jpg) in Preview and check the card speed again. The PM bug is still around to a degree.

It clocks down again but only after you exit Preview. If you close the picture, Preview appears to close but the card will continue running at high speed. You have to quit Preview when it still has the picture open for the card to clock back down.

Try this New one :http://us.download.n...43.01.01f01.pkg

If there is a problem with installing do this:

Download Pacifist and install the new nVidia driver this way (open it up in Pacifist and then click the icon in Pacifist - no need to manually extract and install kexts).
3. Open up a terminal window and run the following command

sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"
5. Install the nVidia web driver again but properly this time, i.e. without using Pacifist.
6. Restart.

credits : clignc89:

http://forum.netkas....u&topic=8522.75

• Like 2

No change if I use the new drivers or Yosemite drivers, I don't have acceleration nor dose it id my display correctly for the opt. resolution (my injection in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file).

Is there any risks installing web drivers? I got Gigabyte GTX-760.

Not that I'm aware of — the only thing that some people mentioned previously (and possibly no longer relevant) was that a GPU PowerManagement change takes effect that also impacted the Apple drivers, but I am able to change between the two and confirm I'm using different ones across reboots without incident on my workstation.

My 760 is an EVGA card and under the Apple driver in Mavericks I would get some weird artifacts that caused green colored distortions in the video; the nvidia driver kit doesn't do that, but I haven't tested Apple's driver extensively under Yosemite — I'd be happy if I didn't have to manage another package so I'm somewhat motivated. I guess if you're working great with the Apple one, I wouldn't bother with the Nvidia supplied ones unless you have a specific need/use case.