Need Help with FileVault and Recovery HD of OS X 10.10

Alien::X

3 posts in this topic

I think OS X working with rEFIt and then turning on the disk encryption.

Some One Said that

Glad to help. Lets cover a few things.
In rEFInd 0.3.0 there is a bug that causes rEFInd to display an error message, "Unsupported while scanning the root directory" at startup, as you know. That is just a bug in rEFInd and has nothing to do with File Vault. Try using rEFInd 0.2.9 until it is fixed. You can help by submitting a bug report to the author.
File Vault encrypted Lion boots from an boot.efi file located on the "Recovery HD" partition at /Recovery HD/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi. rEFInd looks for the Mac boot loader in a default place (YOUR DRIVE NAME/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi) which is the similar for encrypted/non-encrypted drives. Thats why rEFInd says "Boot YOUR_SYSTEM from Recovery HD". When you added the "com.apple.recovery.boot" to the "also_scan_dirs" line in the rEFInd config file, rEfInd will also find a boot.efi file (Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot /boot.efi) which is for the actual recovery partition. The Mac system should show the Apple icon whereas the Recovery system should show the unknown_os icon. The Recovery boot.efi mounts a hidden "BaseSystem.dmg" that contains the whole Recovery system including Install Mac OS X Lion.app, Safari, and 8 utilities like Terminal and Disk Utility. Along with another system boot.efi file. It's a little confusing. A standard Mac install boots from the system partition and a File Vault system starts the boot process from the Recovery HD partition and then loads the main system partition like a regular Mac system.
I'm not sure what is causing freeze while loading the recovery hd partition. I do get it to load on a non encrypted system but not on a File Vault system. I think the whole problem is that the Recovery boot.efi on a File Vault system is somehow different than the standard Recovery boot.efi and the standard Mac boot.efi and may need some special dependency files, maybe a kernalcache, plist file, and/or some system permission (keychain) to unlock it at load time. I'll look into it.
As for syncing the partition tables did you enable File Vault before or after installing Windows? I enabled File Vault then used Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows and that worked after couple failed attempts. Try replacing the gptsync that came wit rEFInd with the one from here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264528) and post if that works for you. My partition table are already in sync so I don't know if works but it does load and say that that are in sync. 
On a separate system I used an Ubuntu live USB to sync the partition tables. I used UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make the live USB. Restarted into Ubuntu (test/trial mode) and installed the most up to date version of gptsync (google for it). And that worked also. On a multi boot system Windows is the only that still uses a MBR, except for Windows 7 and 8 on a UEFI mother board, on a Mac it will still use MBR. Newer Linux Distros can boot from a efi stub loader.