[Complete] Yosemite on X-Power/GTX480/i7 920@2.67

Rowas

2 posts in this topic

3eaOQPE.jpg

I'm just posting this as a reference to anyone who might find it useful for their own hacks in the future. The main issue I dealt with here was graphics functionality and acceleration.

Originally, I attempted to follow the Clover self-creating USB Installer method found here. I downloaded the Yosemite Public Beta 4 app in this scenario. I could not boot into the installation without disabling nvidia drivers.

After installation, the system would boot with no video output. After disabling drivers, I would be able to boot in without graphics acceleration (low resolution & no QE/CI). On top of that, the system was ridiculously slow. I would wait 10 minutes just to get past the login screen, and sometimes it would not get past that point. After frustrating over this for days, I went back to square one and started over. I got Yosemite up and running in a few hours.

I followed this guide, albeit with a few modified steps. More on that in a bit.

~~~

Here's what you need:

> "Install OSX" App downloaded from the app store. I had attempted the first time with Beta 4, but App Store kept giving me errors when I tried to update the installer app to the more recent GM Releases. I had to download the unmodified GM 1 App from a third party.

> Your favorite bootloader. Just make sure it's the latest release.

> The necessary kexts to boot OS X. This varies, and often times you won't even need to worry about this. Bootloader installers usually take care of this for you.

> A working OS X system.

~~~~~ 

Go ahead and follow Maverick's guide. I followed the guide, but did a few things differently. These are the steps in detail.

1.) Open “OS XInstall ESD” located inside Contents/SharedSupport inside Install OS X App

2.) Format USB Drive to use HFS+ and GUID Partition Table for maximum compatibility

** Maverick's guide calls for MBR, but you don't actually need to use MBR. If you're going full OS X on your system, just use GPT. It'll simplify things. If you're multi-booting, you should probably use MBR and Maverick's guide as there are extra steps involved.

3.) Mount BaseSystem.dmg using the terminal command:

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4.) Restore OS X Base System to the newly formatted USB Drive using Disk Utility

5.) Navigate to the USB Drive —> System/Installation and delete the “Packages” alias

6.) Copy the “Packages” folder from “OS X Install ESD” to where the Packages Alias was

7.) Copy BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg from Install ESD Root folder (Hidden files) to USB Root folder

8.) Rename USB Drive. Right click on USB Drive in Finder's sidebar to do this.

** Not mandatory, but it helps.

9.) Install Bootloader and load the kexts to boot Installation. 

**Maverick's guide uses Chameleon, but I find Clover more suited to my tastes. I went to the Clover site to download the latest release and installed it.

10.) Navigate to USB Drive —> System/Library/Extensions and delete

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

**Not sure if this is really necessary, but I went ahead and did this anyway.

11.) Done. Reboot into installation.

Graphics worked right out of the box without modification, though on my system, I DID need to use

npci=0x2000 

MacPro5,1

Full Nvidia injection

After booting in, I installed drivers for Realtek Ethernet, Clover on the native drive (also having to fix boot0af error, then boot1 error in succession), Mbox Audio Driver, and backed up my system.

• Like 1