Nemorosus

8 posts in this topic

Hello there guys. Almost a year ago I got myself a new laptop, previously owning also a Hackintosh-compatible Fujitsu Ah530, this time the Toshiba Satellite L855-14J, made for the European market. Today I'm going to show you how to install Mountain Lion on your laptop and going to share few links that are crucial for your installation.

First, let me show you my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4Ghz (up to 3.4Ghz)

RAM: 4GB

VGA: AMD Radeon 7670M with 2GB of vRAM

WIFI: Atheros AR9485

From all of these, the only hardware that is not compatible is the WiFi card, and I fixed this by replacing mine with my older laptop which had a Atheros AR9285. Unfortunately, there is no kext or anything that helps the 9485 to work. Also keep in mind that the audio card only works with Mountain Lion. The kexts, modifications, and everything else for that card do not apply for Mavericks, and if you want the sound card to work, you will need an external one unfortunately. On Mountain Lion even the jack recognition works, so it switches to the active output automatically (speakers or headphones). Microphone doesn't work, but external one does so... Yeah.

First, there are two ways of installing Mountain Lion on your laptop that will work. Keep in mind that we will use Clover for our installation, because none of the other bootloaders will work.

You can install with iAtkos ML3U, or a bootable usb with the needed kexts, and Mountain Lion from the App Store. Both of these methods work just fine, but the first one is already loaded with the needed kexts, and everything will work outside the box, minus the graphics card, which we will install the last.

*For iAtkos*

This laptop is highly compatible with osx86. It works really nicely, and when selecting features on iAtkos, do not choose too much. Audio and network from drivers only, both of them which will work after installation. If for some reason iAtkos does not boot at all, you will need a second USB that is no bigger than 512MB. Just for the bootloader, we won't need this after some time. Check out this thread on how to install Clover from Windows OS. Boot up the USB, and select the other USB (insert it after) and go ahead with the installation.

*For AppStore USB*

If you choose the longer way, than check out this thread on AppleLife.ru! This will show you the kexts needed, but keep in mind that that is a L850-13R, which is a different model, and not all things work (sleep for example works there, but not on the L855).

After you installed Mountain Lion on your hard disk, the next step is to install Clover. The configuration file that is linked below is for version 1995, but you will notice that if you install that version, you will receive boot0 error. To fix this issue, download the latest Clover, install it, and than reinstall 1995. Than it will boot up properly from your hard drive. If you have trouble installing clover, PM me.

Now install the kexts needed (if iAtkos none than PS/2, and if AppStore, check out the AppleLife.ru thread), and proceed with installing the graphics card. Graphics card will work with QE/CI, HDMI port, but the VGA output doesn't work. :(

* Try out kexts (even those on AppleLife.ru) for the battery meter. My laptop is plugged in power without a battery, so I don't really need it that much.

So I'm assuming that you already have v1995 of Clover. Download EFI Mounter and mount the EFI partition. Replace the config.plist file with the one attached here. Reboot. Enjoy Mountain Lion.

Credit for config.plist file goes to freeuser16 from AppleLife.ru! Thank you.

Screenshot (from HDMI port monitor, running 1080p):

CAdm99N.jpg

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Update 1: I have successfully upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.5! Sound working, battery working, the only thing now is sleep! But that will come too, following the tutorials and guides from AppleLife! If anyone needs help with Mavericks just PM me.

Update 2: I have updated the DSDT that enables the battery meter alongside with the screen brightness to work correctly. Unfortunately previously for some reason if you patched the DSDT the battery showed 100% and plugged in always.

For the battery meter, make sure you have the kexts from AppleLife.ru installed first.

Also included is an updated config.plist for the latest (as of now - 2953) Clover.

Please note that this laptop is currently running Mavericks 10.9.5, so do not worry. I also think that it will be compatible with Yosemite, but I haven't tried that, and I'm not planning to until it's fully released.

I got the sleep to work, but now for some reason it stopped working again. Probably something that I changed. I will see that error soon and of course, fix it. Until than, this is enough! :)

L855-14J.zip

Update 4: Sleep is working too without any need of SleepEnabler. For some odd reason that I yet have to explore, without SleepEnabler there is no Battery meter, so I included it only for that. Sleep Enabler isn't used at all for sleeping, just for the meter. If someone knows why is this, please help out.

Also DSDT now includes a patch for AR9285 so it will work with vanilla Yosemite / Mavericks, no need of patching kexts.

NewPatch.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Update 5: Native power management is achieved with Pikers ssdtprgen.sh! Check it out, patch it, and enjoy. Follow the guides carefully tho, and don't forget to boot with Patch Kernel PM in Clover. TurboBoost works up to 3.2Ghz (maximum for 4 cores), so everything is good!

• 1 month later...

Okay guys, I managed to fix the battery issue that was caused by a faulty configuration, because I accidentally ticked "Drop OEM" in Clover Configurator. I was brainstorming with the help of Rehabman, and finally now, everything works.

Download from here:

http://cl.ly/2W1f091R2G2r

Thank you all, my work is done here. I will also try to patch the sound (for internal microphone, etc), and I think that will be my final patch about this laptop.

• 8 months later...

Update:

I just changed from VoodooPS2 (which was amazing, thanks Voodoo team!) to Magic Touchpad.

This enables gestures on the trackpad and disables the Fn key as default, so when you click on F2/F3 it reduces and adds brightness without needing to click FN first.

I made configuration files specific to the L855 (probably will work good on other Toshiba laptops with same keyboard layout).

Anyone who is interested can download the configuration files here, and also contribute for better results:

https://github.com/nemorosus/toshiba-smarttouch