What if you have Mac Parts?

brainburst

3 posts in this topic

All the stuff I've read across many forums and sites about creating Hackintoshes all seem to assume that one doesn't have any access to a mac. Isn't it theoretically possible to have a drive with OSX already on it to which one can simply just add the necessary files using a mac? Suppose one has access to official Mac Video cards? Wouldn't this make life easier too?

No idea on the video but software wise yes it works fine. When I first started this hack idea in late 2007/early 2008 I had no access to a Mac and used at the time a distro then in March of 2008 I did my first and only retail install of 10.5. That install has been cloned onto countless drives in that time including when in 2011 I bought a used Mac Pro 3,1. I simply did not install any hack files to that drive and removed the remnants of the .kext that were on it. Early this year got tired of the poor performance of the 4,1 I had then. Seeing the trash can new MP gave up on Apple hardware and built new hack I have now. I installed all the files need to boot from that Mac after again cloning my same install that has been upgraded through all but the 10.7 operating system.

Yes, you can use a hard drive with an OS X installation done on a real Mac. It works because OS X doesn't enter into a symbiotic relationship with the hardware it was installed on in the way that Windows does. If you have ever tried to transplant a Windows hard drive from one PC to another you know what I'm talking about. It never works well.

I don't remember the specifics but some apps tie their preference files to the UUID of the host, which will obviously change when you move the hard drive. This means some apps will have to be configured again. Not an issue at all if you're moving a fresh installation.

Generally, if the new host does not have any "difficult" hardware, it will work just fine but of course you'll need to add Clover or Chameleon and at least fakesmc.kext in order to be able to boot from it. 

There are 0 benefits to using a "Mac compatible" video card on a PC. Several modern video cards, particularly Kepler family cards from Nvidia, will work on OS X without having to do anything at all. I have a GTX 660 (not quite an old card yet I guess) which works perfectly. In fact modifying anything or setting GraphicsEnabler=y will actually prevent it from working.