Alienware 17 r5(mid 2013) install 10.9.5

scy0846

16 posts in this topic

I wanted to go ahead and start this. I have finally installed Mavericks after a lot of research and pain. At first I tried using Niresh's Distro of 10.9, but it wouldn't update and didn't work like I wanted.

So I built a vanilla usb drive using the following method. Either boot a VM of OSX to make the Drive or find a Mac computer to use.

Installing Mavericks using Clover (UEFI)

You need a Mavericks installer for Mac, it can be downloaded from Appstore for free. Note that with Haswell CPUs you need a 10.9 installer or above. This guide is done under OS X, if you don’t own a Mac then you can always create a virtual machine.

Create a Mavericks USB Installer

Step 1: You need a 8GB USB stick, format it with Disk Utility with the following options:

• Partition: 2 partitions
  • Partition 1: name it Clover, Format MS-DOS (FAT), size larger than 300MB
  • Partition 2: name it Untitled, Format Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ), size larger than 6.5GB
  • Options: Master Boot Record (MBR)
  • Hit Apply

12475004833_baec2d51ba_o.jpg

Step 2: Download this Clover.zip, unzip and copy the EFI folder to the root of the CLOVER partition. Use Hackintosh Vietnam Tool to create the suitable config.plist for your PC:

- CPU: Select your CPU i7 I would believe

- Graphics: Select your graphics HD4600

- SSDT: Generate

Finish the tool, copy the generated config.plist on the desktop to the folder EFI\Clover of the CLOVER partition.

12475039433_50ef8d883b_o.jpg

At this point you have 2 choices of creating the installer

Choice 1 (will create a Recovery partition after installation, note that some PCs can hang on the white screen if using this choice )

Step 3: Download OS X Mavericks from the Appstore, check if the “Install OS X Mavericks.app” is in the folder Application. Open Terminal and run this command ( note that Untitled is a HFS+ partition )

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Choice 2 ( Won’t create the Recovery partition after installation )
Step 3: If you don’t have the “Install OS X Mavericks.app”, only the InstallESD.dmg, follow step 2 to step 6 from the Chameleon guide

After you have the usb make sure you are in UEFI and it boots from the Clover UEFI. Go to the settings and modify the boot flags. I used "-v nv_disable=1" along with what it currently had in it. It has some default flags and I just left them the same. 

Install like normal. Allow it to reboot and use the same flags for now. The NVIDIA driver is garbage and will be replaced with our other kexts.

Download these Kexts here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8asaby55lfvamc/Alienware%2017.zip?dl=0

Download this Audio Driver here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/box3z633agxa3ri/VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg?dl=0

Install the kexts with Kext Installer or Kext Wizard. Restart and you should be able to boot normally without the "nv_disable=1". 

Install the audio driver package. You also have to go to the sound settings and change it to your internal speakers otherwise it will go to headphones even though you probably don't have them plugged in. I want to say headphones don't work. If they do or you have fixed it let me know.

What works:

Processor

Graphics Card

Bluetooth

Wifi

Sound

Boots on correct screen(some people had issues booting on external screens using other Hackintosh routes.)

Can use HDMI and HDMI sound.

What doesn't:

Sleep only turns the screen to black

The screen brightness(anyone have a fix for this? That'd be great!)

The most annoying issue though is you have to use Chrome for the browser if you want to watch videos, and you have to make sure any videos on your harddrive do not launch with Quicktime. There is a graphics issue with them that makes the videos turn purple and broken. It may make your screen freeze, but your mouse will be fine.(anyone have a fix for this?) Just either find a way to fix it and let me know or just use Chrome and VLC. Also the same issue will happen with XBMC. Parallels works perfectly with this build and XBMC will run perfectly on Windows. It must be some kind of codec issue or quicktime problem and I can't figure it out.

Anything you want to know about post it here. Any fixes you find for any of the issues please let me know. It does work extremely well though so far.

Fixed a huge issue today! My graphics card works! Change your config.plist to an iMac. The default Macbook Air bullcrap will not work simply because it will not use the right drivers based on the SMBIOS. An iMac has a dedicated Graphics Card, however an Air does not. Google for the right settings. I may upload my config later if anyone needs it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I followed your tutorial and the installation gives me the following error:

46f241fb8e96f73304b23a2833f1e9d5.png

My alienware is i7-4710MQ CPU, and 880M Graphics. Alienware 17 R5.

In this screen i test HD4400/4600 Mobile v1, v2, and v3.

a5897c76f18a29c338da8179222801f1.png

Could you help me? I run the installation with tags: -v nv_disable=1

Thanks You! 

• 1 month later...

I just attempted this. The install works perfectly, and the first boot works fine, but any subsequent boots fail completely unless I use both -x and nv_disable=1. This is after installing all the kexts as well.

Alienware 17 r5 (2013) 120Hz Display

Intel Core i7-4900MQ (2.79GHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M (4GB VRAM)

32GB RAM (4x8GB)

Also:

During the Hackintosh Vietnam step, I couldn't understand two steps in your tutorial:

1. Under "CPU", you say to select "i7" but there is no option named "i7". Which one do we use?

Jkenjog.png

2. Under "Graphics", you say to select "HD4600", but there are multiple options named "HD4600". Which one do we use?

pwec7m1.png

3. I have the 120Hz display, so the HD4600 is completely disabled on my computer. Should I still select it?

4. Is it possible to install Yosemite using this process? Or should I install Mavericks first, then upgrade to Yosemite from there?

I just attempted this. The install works perfectly, and the first boot works fine, but any subsequent boots fail completely unless I use both -x and nv_disable=1. This is after installing all the kexts as well.

32GB RAM (4x8GB)

Also:

During the Hackintosh Vietnam step, I couldn't understand two steps in your tutorial:

1. Under "CPU", you say to select "i7" but there is no option named "i7". Which one do we use?

Jkenjog.png

2. Under "Graphics", you say to select "HD4600", but there are multiple options named "HD4600". Which one do we use?

pwec7m1.png

3. I have the 120Hz display, so the HD4600 is completely disabled on my computer. Should I still select it?

4. Is it possible to install Yosemite using this process? Or should I install Mavericks first, then upgrade to Yosemite from there?

Depend on your CPU, that should be Haswell Mobile. You have the HD4600 disabled in BIOS, so you should select Nvidia Graphics. And yes, Yosemite installation is basically the same

To install Yosemite the command to install the USB is, assume your USB partition name is Install

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install/ --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

32GB RAM (4x8GB)

Also:

Jkenjog.png

pwec7m1.png

1. Haswell Mobile

2. 120hz have intel disabled, so nvdia is a must, I am surprised you installation passed. I got reboot when picked on intel, ig-platform-id: 0x0a260006

3. 120Hz display is really painful, if you figured it out how to get it working, please let us know

4. Guide of Yosemite is the same and use my script to install USB boot, don't do upgrade and it can break. 

Fixed a huge issue today! My graphics card works! Change your config.plist to an iMac. The default Macbook Air bullcrap will not work simply because it will not use the right drivers based on the SMBIOS. An iMac has a dedicated Graphics Card, however an Air does not. Google for the right settings. I may upload my config later if anyone needs it.

Have you tried macbookpro in smbios settings?

Also would you post lastest config.plist

How did you transfer your EFI from USB to your local disk? I tried, but the disk is not recognizing Yosemite disk, very weird.

I finally got it transferred to disk, but not sure how I achieved it. your guide is awesome.

If this guide can be cleaned up a little, this can be some serious guide.

How did you composed the EFI folder, hopefully shed some light please?

Thanks.

• 7 months later...