Uncommon display or adapter (intel HD 4000) problem

ldaniel-jmz

3 posts in this topic

My situation is really strange. I installed Windows 8.1 and Mavericks in one hard disk drive with three partitions, one for each operating system and one just for storage purpose. Since my wireless network card (BCM943142HM) is not usable in OS X, I bought a USB Wifi Adapter (TP-LINK TL-WN725N) so that I could access internet. But when I use a lot of internet bandwidth (downloading torrents) the computer freezes completely. So I decided to work heavy internet use in Windows and just specific tasks on OS X. I’ve been using my computer in this way for almost 8 months without any additional issues. 

But recently I found somewhere that in order to stop the random freezes caused by the high internet’s bandwidth use, I had to disable Spotlight. So I did it, but the freezes continued. However I noticed that I could use the computer for a longer period of time before it froze again.

So here is the problem. Yesterday, after some of this freezes I restarted the computer and now it beeps 8 times while booting indicating a display problem according to Dell, and the display shows up like this while booting and in Windows:

post-1300210-0-89282800-1412311179_thumb.jpg

post-1300210-0-74837700-1412311169_thumb.jpg

But inside OS X the screen turns off. When I perform the display test according to Dell (holding down the D key and then pressing the Power button to turn on the computer) it shows solid colours indicating that the display panel is working correctly. Right now I’m using an external monitor connected to the HDMI port which is working correctly in both operating systems. 

Inside OS X it’s like there is no display panel connected to the graphics adapter, and in Windows it detects the display panel as a generic monitor.

I’m really concerned about this. I know this is not a common problem, so I would appreciate any help!

I upgraded (flashed) the bios using the installer provided by the Dell support website. And problem solved. Now the display is working correctly throughout the boot process, bios and inside Windows.

But after a few days the problem reappeared. This is really odd. Does someone have any idea?