Acer C720 Chromebook Intel HD Graphics (Haswell GT1 0a06)

LeonTravowski

17 posts in this topic

I'm currently running 10.8.5 on an Acer C720 Chromebook (Haswell Celeron 2995U). Certainly, there is a long way to go, however I've had some success with patching AppleHDA to enable sound, and I am using a DWA-131 USB wi-fi adapter...so I'm borderlining on having a functional system.

Regarding graphics, the Niresh 10.8.5 install allowed for basic support. No acceleration, No Kext loaded & showed up as Intel HD Graphics 64Mb in System Profiler. Fine for basic tasks.

Despite what I'd read, I've managed to get 10.8.5 to load AppleIntelFrameBufferAzul.kext & AppleIntelHD5000.kext through a DSDT patch. I set the platform ID to the MacbookAir (0a260005) & the device ID to the HD5000 (0a26). In System Profiler, it Shows up as Intel HD Graphics VRAM (Total) 1024Mb. The graphics is still "glitchy", but in checking the Chess App (before vs. after), it seems like some acceleration is taking place. Also, in display->system preferences, it allows me to change the screen resolution (No brightness slider however).

So, initially encouraging. I'm not by any means a guru in this department so I'm hoping some other folks can comment. Everywhere I've read "no way no how" regarding the HD Graphics (Haswell GT1) (0a26), but this small success seems to suggest maybe there is some hope?

My DSDT patch is below. Also, uploading some screenshots at different stages of DSDT patching showing the kext's are loaded. My initial thoughts is that if I can get the VRAM to load only 256Mb, and perhaps tweak the HD5000.kext, maybe it will behave better? I tried using the appleintelframebufferazul.sh script at...;

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.sh

...but it doesn't seem to have any affect on changing the VRAM size.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x00020000 remove_entry;

into device name_adr 0x00020000 insert

begin

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n

{\n

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n

Return (Package()\n

{\n

"device-id", Buffer() { 0x26, 0x0a, 0x00, 0x00 },\n

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x05, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0a },\n    "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n

})\n

}\n

end;

post-1401820-0-39388100-1411578657_thumb.png

post-1401820-0-78963500-1411578672_thumb.png

post-1401820-0-66533500-1411578681_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It sure it quiet in here. I've made some advances believe it or not.

First thing is first, we need to format the drive as a GUID partition table so we have an EFI partition. Next you'll want to boot into Ubuntu and run the script found at the link below. This will update the Coreboot for the chomebook, you'll no longer be able to run ChromeOs but you will have a Chromebook that functions more like a regular PC. In particular this allowed me to use clover (r2953 works, later doesn't). Also, the DSDT graphics card injection will behave better on CLover vs Chameleon on the C720. When Installing clover, choose the bootloader version, not the EFI version which doesn't work. However you will put your patched DSDT on the EFI Partition.

https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/

After this you'll want to boot into Ubuntu to get all the clean tables @ /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/

Copy these to a USB drive, in OSX apply the extension .aml to the DSDT, this will be your untouched DSDT file to apply patches to in MaciASL (*I'll attach mine).

The OSX installer i used was Niresh 10.8.5 with Clover bootloader (not EFI).

In MaciASL add Rehabman's laptop repository http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

The first patch you'll make is below, this sets the platform id to 0a260006 & Device ID 0a16.

into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x00020000 remove_entry;

into device name_adr 0x00020000 insert

begin

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n

{\n

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n

Return (Package()\n

{\n

"device-id", Buffer() { 0x16, 0x0a, 0x00, 0x00 },\n

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x05, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0a },\n    "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n

})\n

}\n

end;

Continued.

Now apply the following patches from Rehabman in this order. I'm not sure which of these are unnecessary, but I get no compile errors.

1. Rename GFX0 to iGPU

2.SMBus Fix

3.RTC Fix

4.IRQ Fix

5.HPET Fix

6.Haswell LPC

7.Add iMEI

8.Brightness Fix (Haswell)

I normally compile the DSDT after each patch to make sure everything is going hunky dory. Save the DSDT to the EFI partition @ /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI.

After this the built in GPU will be recognized in System Information as Intel HD Graphics 5000 and you should have a working brightness slider and the display sleep will work in Energy Saver.

*Sleep is still broken, the display shuts down but the fans stay on & the computer will not wake. If anyone has any fixes for that please jump in.

Still no graphic Acceleration, but certainly more useable.

Also, basic audio can be enabled using this patched AppleHDA with a DSDT to set the layout ID to "3"

AppleHDA-2.4.7fc4-ALC283.zip

There are problems with the audio. Internal Speakers work fine, microphone doesn't work and when using the headphones you have to hard pan the balance in Sound preferences fully left or right. Sound will still come out of both headphone channels, but the audio will be mono. I really wish i could fix this as having true stereo on the headphones is pretty important.

One more thing, bluetooth can be made to work using the the patch at the following forum. You won't be able to turn off bluetooth, but i've confirmed it working with a bluetooth keyboard. My plan is to get one of the many bluetooth trackpads out there so i'm not tying up the usb port to have a mouse (c720 trackpad is i2c bus so unusable on OSX).

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/

post-1401820-0-52500100-1416191053_thumb.png

Clean DSDT.aml.zip

Patched DSDT.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Further details; Coreboot disables the OS from seeing the management engine on chrome books/chromeboxes, which is 8086:9c3a on the Haswell (including 2955u). I've been in discussion with someone who successfully compiled coreboot re-enabling the intel ME on his 2955u Chromebox, so that would likely need to happen to ever have a chance of getting graphics acceleration working.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all: thumbs up for what you've accomplished so far... It's encouraging to see someone not surrendering to, as you put it, "no way no how"... I'm trying to follow your steps, however, although an old wolf in computing (30 years or so), just a new born lamb in hackintosh (30 days or so :'(  )... I've built a hackintosh with a Pentium G3220, ignorant that it would be so difficult (hope not impossible) to configure the grafx... no need for fancy things... In fact, only need it 'cause I want to develop apps for iOS... But the flickering video is annoying, specially in Safari... Any ideas how to adapt your procedure to a normal desktop with such processor, and a UEFI hd booting clover? The whole specs are:

MB: GA-B85M-DS3H

CPU: Intel G3220

HD: 1TB WD, UEFI, already installed and running Win7, Fedora Linux and OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

RAM: 8GB

OSX has LAN configured. No audio (don't need it, but wouldn't mind having it)

Best Regards.

Alfredo Meraz

*Sleep is still broken, the display shuts down but the fans stay on & the computer will not wake. If anyone has any fixes for that please jump in.

HaltEnabler=true in Clover config.plist

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>

No audio (don't need it, but wouldn't mind having it)

It is easy way to use VoodooHDA. It will work.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. Have you tried injecting the gfx card to be recognized as HD4400 (0a16)? Can you do a screengrab of the graphics panel in System Information?

I was actually able to boot Yosemite on the Celeron chrome book, but graphics performance was intolerable so now I'm back on 10.8.5.

First of all: thumbs up for what you've accomplished so far... It's encouraging to see someone not surrendering to, as you put it, "no way no how"... I'm trying to follow your steps, however, although an old wolf in computing (30 years or so), just a new born lamb in hackintosh (30 days or so :'(  )... I've built a hackintosh with a Pentium G3220, ignorant that it would be so difficult (hope not impossible) to configure the grafx... no need for fancy things... In fact, only need it 'cause I want to develop apps for iOS... But the flickering video is annoying, specially in Safari... Any ideas how to adapt your procedure to a normal desktop with such processor, and a UEFI hd booting clover? The whole specs are:

MB: GA-B85M-DS3H

CPU: Intel G3220

HD: 1TB WD, UEFI, already installed and running Win7, Fedora Linux and OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

RAM: 8GB

OSX has LAN configured. No audio (don't need it, but wouldn't mind having it)

Best Regards.

Alfredo Meraz

Leon,

Your work looks very interesting.

However as you noticed the Intel HD mobile graphics does not work in Yosemite out of the box, this might be because your version has the Intel Celeron processor.

Presumably the Intel HD graphics in the Intel i3 version should work (If an IMEI device is present).

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I am trying to get Yosemite to work on my c720 as well but I always get stuck at "VM Swap Subsystem is on" when I try to boot. Leon, could you please provide a guide (for a hackintosh noob - although I managed to setup a few hackintoshs)? I am using Chameleon. I try not to use Niresh or Yosemite Zone but Chameleon with the DSDT-Patches listed above. I tried using Clover but even with r2953 there is a huge error when I want to boot. I didn't change my seabios-fireware though cause I still want to be able to boot Chrome OS...

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to install Yosemite on my HP Stream Mini (using Celeron 2957U, almost the same as your 2955U).

I've just got a response from RehabMan that Haswell GT1 is not supported, that's just disappointed, but i'm not giving up. I admired your works, Leon. Unfortunately all attachments on this forum has lost. It'd be very helpful if you can re-up your DSDT, i've tried patch myself, following your steps but then I cannot boot to Yosemite anymore. I just don't understand why the device 0a06 is very close to 0a16, but it's completely unsupported :(

I've heard someone has partly succeeded by InjectEDID extracted from Windows. Can someone please explain that technique? I don't have any clue where to begin. I'd be very appreciated.

I'm also trying to install Yosemite on a C720 (with John Lewis ROM).
With [tonymacx86-stuff] (using Chameleon / Chimera), I get stuck at "VM Swap Subsystem is on" (see HERE). I tried using -v, -x, and many other Flags, but booting always stops at "VM Swap Subsystem is on".

I tried booting the Niresh version with different flags ("/haswell" for Haswell kernel), but it also gets stuck at this message.

When using Clover (r2953 or latest), the C720 reboots immediately. For a few ms this text is displayed:

boot1: /boot

I'm quite new to this, of course I'll provide any missing information.

• 1 month later...

I'm also trying to install Yosemite on a C720 (with John Lewis ROM).

I'm having video success on C720-i3 with Mavericks, but I installed a bleeding-edge coreboot *and* SeaBIOS. Nothing worked very well with the 2014-12-18 payload. Perhaps the right thing is to install the dual-boot config the Kodi folks work on; that has a newer SeaBIOS payload.

I cannot recommend jumping on an unsupported coreboot. If a script doesn't download it, it's probably dangerous. The coreboot flash I grabbed does *not* have the jelkta payload, and therefore is not very friendly to people without SPI reprogramming hardware....

• 3 weeks later...

Watching your progress with great interest. I run Ubuntu on my C720 but I would absolutely love it if it would run Mac OS. I don't care much for bluetooth and headphones, but I would like full graphics acceleration, "regular" sound through speakers, brightness regulation and sleep.

My model:

• Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz (Haswell micro-architecture)
  • 16 GB Solid-State Drive
  • 11.6-Inch Anti-Glare Screen, Intel HD Graphics

Any news?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Believe it or not, I have some free time again to devote to this. I had given up on  OS X for the 2995U due to the level of unsupported hardware; wi-fi, gfx acceleration, sleep, track pad etc.

I recently picked up on another side project involving windows 10 & chromebook compatibility which has a lot of support from one user; coolstar.org. Not only has he ported linux drivers for trackpad and keyboard, but his coreboot bios upgrade for the C720 (which replaced the one by John Lewis i previously installed) fixes issues with the i2c controller & enables full graphics card support for the 2995u Intel HD GFX. I've got Window 10 Pro running atm with full (native) graphics, wi-fi, bluetooth, HDMI, USB, SD Card, Realtek HD Audio support (including microphone) & webcam. I'm just about to attempt the drivers for the trackpad & keyboard. UPDATE *These worked 100% and now have full native support for all hardware under W10.

I'm not sure if this new core boot BIOS will allow better OS X hardware support, but I'm tempted to re-install OSX (on a seperate HD) now and give it another try.

This is where I began;

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook/comments/3gtjfe/windows_10_fully_supported_on_acer_c720c720p/

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/3gnema/tutorial_install_windows_10_on_the_acer_c720/

• Like 1