Surface Pro 3 docking station - supported by 10.9.x / 10.10.x ?

gkarg

7 posts in this topic

Hi

i'm thinking about to buy a docking station for my Surface Pro 3. Does anyboady have any experience, if the docking station will work with OS X 10.9.x or 10.10.x ? Since the Surface Pro 3 docking station is connected via the power connector (Surface Pro 1/2 is connected via USB3/DisplayPort) - I'm not sure, if this could work out of the box without specific drivers / kexts ?

Any experience is welcome

Many thanks

Gkarg

For the Surface Pro 2 the dock Ethernet would not work out of the box, if they used the same chips for the 3 dock you can probably (at least) use it for power, and USB hubs. The video may also be problematic if DisplayPort MST is required to get data thru it.

For the Surface Pro 2 the dock Ethernet would not work out of the box, if they used the same chips for the 3 dock you can probably (at least) use it for power, and USB hubs. The video may also be problematic if DisplayPort MST is required to get data thru it.

Hi - since the Type Cover is working for Surface Pro 2 and not for Surface Pro 3 I'm also not sure if the normal ports will work - like the 2 USB3 & USB2 ports. So anybody there with docking station Surface Pro 3 & OS X running ?

Thanks

gkarg

• 1 month later...

I finally took the time to hack 10.10 on a a Surface Pro 3. Yes, the only USB 3 port does not appear to work with USB 3 devices, however USB 2 devices work on it. Everyone even needs it to boot install media for installation. I would assume the dock ports should thus likewise work with USB 2 (or even older USB 1) devices. Ultimately we should get something (GenericUSBXHCI.kext, ACPI?) hacked for USB 3 devices, such as the newer TypeCover to work attached to the SurfacePro3.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the USB3 kext do work with other devices, just not the TypeCover. Maybe there really is something with the HID descriptors that Mac OS X does not like, ... or there is still some other general basic USB hiccup, ...

I just got the Dock as well. It's USB ports work in general, the built-in USB 3 Ethernet (RTL8153) works right now, too. DisplayPort of the Dock not yet tested.

Update: Dock (USB) audio does not appear to work though :-/ It shows up but does not play anything, ...