Please help me stop clover "autobooting" into OS X installer

frankiee

10 posts in this topic

Well, title says it all ... so I started the Yosemite Installer while being booted into OS X. I completed 1st stage of installation, but canceled it after  that.

Now, when I boot (using clover), suddenly the Yosemite Installer is set as may default boot drive, and this gets sooo annoying.

How on earth do I get rid of this? Saw some corresponding entries in my NVRAM, but clearing did not seem to help.

I think there must be a plist setting or something like that causing this behavior, but where too look?

Help is appreciated, TIA!

Yes, just upgraded to the latest release. But the problem still persists, and I do not think it is because of clover, but more bc of some OS X Install script that was not cleaned and still tries to do something.

What I also see is this in my NVRAM:

install-product-url    x-osproduct://5E4FB1F7-D82A-3A4F-837E-6570A92C2BA0/OS%20X%20Install%20Data

And even if I clear my NVRAM this entry just reappears. So maybe this is also a symptom of the problem, but where does this come from, and how to stop this?

have you tried the obvious and set your "boot disk" in system preferences (control panel)? most in the community have forgotten that that control panel does work now(thanks to allot of hard work from the Devs) the other thing that may be needed is to wipe out the recovery partition that Yosemite created.

HBP

have you tried the obvious and set your "boot disk" in system preferences (control panel)? most in the community have forgotten that that control panel does work now(thanks to allot of hard work from the Devs) the other thing that may be needed is to wipe out the recovery partition that Yosemite created.

Of course I tried that - with no success. Setting any boot drive here was simply ignored.

But actually I have found a way to solve this:

Seems that there was a value in NVRAM that would set the partition with the Yosemite Installer as my boot partition, and I think it was the installer itself who set this value. But what I found out is that clearing NVRAM is not enough in my case, the value I did not want to see there was magically reappearing after each reboot. So yeah, since I can only use NVRAM Emulation, there was also this "nvram.plist". So even when you clear your NVRAM, it seems to get repopulated with the values from nvram.plist on restart, and that was something I simply not expected. You could even call this a bug, maybe?

Anyways, after clearing BOTH NVRAM and the plist, my boot Drive was set to normal, but I still could see the Installer in my Boot menu.

After investigating further, I saw that the Installer apparently did set up my partition I launched it from as a bootable drive! Similar to an installer USB stick, you can suddenly see a (hidden) Folder called ".IABootFiles" and there was a "boot.efi" and "kernelcache". Bingo! Removing this fiolder also got me rid of the Clover entry.

Just FYI, in case if s.o. stumbles upon the same problem.

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Similar to an installer USB stick, you can suddenly see a (hidden) Folder called ".IABootFiles" and there was a "boot.efi" and "kernelcache". Bingo! Removing this fiolder also got me rid of the Clover entry.

Just FYI, in case if s.o. stumbles upon the same problem.

:thumbsup_anim:  Thanks! Ive been hunting around trying to figure out how to get rid of this mystery "Boot OS X Install From [Name Of You Drive]" item that appears in clover after an incomplete OS install. 

sudo rm -rf /.IABootFiles

• Like 1