Is there any way to auto patch PlatformSupport.plist after applying an update?

Spanky Deluxe

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Not for a hackintosh (although I do have one too) but I'm looking for some help for my Xserve. I've got a 2008 8 core Xserve in my cellar that I run 10.9 on. Everything works just fine but every time a system update comes along, it breaks due to the PlatformSupport.plist being reverted back to 'stock'. To fix it, I have to go into my cellar, climb over all the {censored} in the way, remove the hard drive, connect it to my hack or MBP, fix the plist and put it all back and restart. Presto, everything works just fine. It's quite a hassle though so I'm wondering if there's any way to make sure that the plist isn't modified. I tried setting the permissions to read only for system but it didn't work.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping some kind of injector or script that somehow launches before everything else would work or that automatically runs after a system shutdown (i.e. after a patch install) might do the trick but I'm not sure what to do. Obviously I'm not using any custom boot loaders as it's a genuine mac.

To make the file read-only try running "chflags uappnd" on it. When I was trying to stop a file being written to this was the only method that worked.

Alternatively you could probably script something and put it into /etc/rc.shutdown.d (Clover uses startup and shutdown scripts in this way).

Maybe copy the edited plist to a file named PlatformSupport.edited and script it that this is copied to PlatformSupport.plist on shutdown/restart.

• Like 1

you can try changing some values in your modified kext plist like so

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>9.9.9</string>
and
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>9.9.9</string>

osx likes to load the highest version of kexts first so anything lower then 9.9.9 should not load and your kext should supersede. but i would not count on osx updates not overwriting it.

To make the file read-only try running "chflags uappnd" on it. When I was trying to stop a file being written to this was the only method that worked.

Alternatively you could probably script something and put it into /etc/rc.shutdown.d (Clover uses startup and shutdown scripts in this way).

Maybe copy the edited plist to a file named PlatformSupport.edited and script it that this is copied to PlatformSupport.plist on shutdown/restart.

Thanks for the tips! I've tried the chflags uappnd read only method. Time will tell if it works or not. If it doesn't then the script approach will be my second action. :)