Can't Get it Stable

ZoroLives

43 posts in this topic

The EthernetBuiltIn is supposed to solve the problem go into System Preferences -> Network make sure your card is listed as en0 if not that will cause the problem you are having. Now the Instructions for it from Meize was that you delete the interface(s) when you installed that driver reboot and add it back in if you did not do that then this could be causing the problem.

I think the following points to my ethernet being en0, yes?

Could it be the KEXT I put in, RealtekRTL81xx_Lnx2Mac.kext? Perhaps there is a better one, more suited to this board?

Ethernet:
  Type:    Ethernet Controller
  Bus:    PCI
  Vendor ID:    0x10ec
  Device ID:    0x8168
  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x1458
  Subsystem ID:    0xe000
  Revision ID:    0x0003
  Link Width:    x1
  BSD name:    en0
  Kext name:    RealtekRTL81xx_Lnx2Mac.kext
  Location:    /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/RealtekRTL81xx_Lnx2Mac.kext
  Version:    0.0.67

I have done the delting of network prefeneces already as well as trashing the networkpreferences.PLIST and restarting (AGAIN) but ... I will do it again. Some suggest the hex string taken from EFI Studio is a sollution but it only gives me the black screen of death.

Thanks

I just did it again, same results.

AFTER ... I removed all system network settings in system preferences and trashed the network preferences PLIST file and rebooted ...

I get the following code, same as before. What is supposed to be happening I am told is that <key>IOBuiltin</key> should have been set to <true/>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>
<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en0</string>
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceNamePrefix</key>
<string>en</string>  (Shouldn't this be en0?)
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>0</integer>  (Perhaps it's just in two places, prefix of en plus integer of 0 en + 0?)
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data>
9G0EsWQo
</data>

Just a thought ... I am still not getting a clean and complete reboot. It might also be that the failure to completely reboot is not triggering the ethernet prefereneces to reset. Perhaps if I can solve the reboot problem it will also solve the Ethernet problem?

Thanks

David

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL81xx_Lnx2Mac.kext = "File not found"

Looking in extensions folder and .. not there. Guess I posted that a few days back when I had a diffeernt driver in there?

Will download the one you suggest and try that.

Discovered from a different thread that my WIFI driver may be casuing my failure to hard reboot.

This little guy, RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext is apparently the culpret. I reset my ASUS WIFI drivers - only advertised to 10.7, and the problem has returned. If you can suggest a good WIFI driver for my ASUS stick that would be good too.

Thanks

UPDATED: Installed  the RT kext you recommended. It now boots as Ethernet in system preferences. That is a good thing. Unfortunatly, the systemnetwork.plist file still shows that the app store would not recognize it since;

<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>

Also, removing he WIFI device driver now allows a full reboot however ... no wifi is working. So I am still hunting for a functional WIFI driver.

OK, I have some things to get done before tomorrow AM so I had better give it a rest here for a while.

I was searching the net for drivers and I see that there  has not been much development in WIFI drivers for quit e a while. Sourceforge had its driver pages current up to 10.2. Asus is only up to 10.7. I can reinstall the ASUS driver I was using, but that will kill the hard reboot.

I will poke around a little with the DPCIManager and see if that can tell me what is set up to fail and what is OK now.

Like I was saying, Ethernet is now in the system preferences which is new and a good thing, but the reason I was attempting that long string of code was becasue several persons suggested that unless I did that, the builtinethernet flag would remain false and not true.

Heck I don't know. Been at this most of the afternoon, time to walk away for a while. un furrow my brow.

Not giving up, just resting.

Thanks again for all the help.

And if you get any good ideas by all means post them, I am sure I will keep checking this tonight as I think of it.

Only a hack is that difficult?

Can you start from 0 with myhack. One it is able to boot then you can tweak easy. With your graphics card use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

The Lan nic I get lost, i will give you more info later for the lan kext. The wifi you can buy a pci-e ready or make one with part from ebay.

Good luck

I have it all the way up to ... "can't get the app store or iCloud to recognize this machine".

I added back in my WIFI stick and driver and it is stable again. Not sure about the reboot problems cropping up again, had some projects to attend to so took couple day7s off. Now back at it.

Once I am satisfied it is stable I plan to carefully make full notes for myself how I got to that point and back up all I have that worked, DTDT, etc. Then I plan to do a scorched earth on the target Mavericks drive and use CCC to clone over my active drive, then install again to the new (cloned) drive.

SO far I am  throwing every tweak I Can at it to get it to work.

Thanks.

ADDED: Now booted in Mavericks, WIFI Yes, App stire ID, no, not with this machine. Anyone figure this out? Followed all the tips I could find ... nada.

yay, hooray, yippe, shasbat!! It works (close enough).

I now have Apple ID recognition and app store and iCloud working.

For those who might not be aware, I needed this value to change for that to work:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist had to change from this "<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key><false/>" to this "<string>en0</string><key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>"

I did this by deleting all network settings in my System Preferences, trashing both of the files in the same folder, (NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist) and rebooting.

I still have the incomplete shutdown/restart using that WIFI driver but that is something I can solve over time and for now, ask to keep this thread open until I do.

Now I am recording what I did as carefully as I Can and saving all the desktop apps and files I have on Mavericks and then'

1. Erase this new Mavericks install  (scorched earth)
  2. Clone my working drive to my new install
  3. Reinstall Mavericks on this drive

Thanks and a big sigh or relief.

OK, ran Mavericks for the last couple of days, pretty stable. One problem remains, it kills the bios settings on reboot.

Posted by MacUser2525 on 22 September 2014 - 03:52 PM
  1. CMOS reset common to Gigabyte boards of that era you need the fix for that in your DSDT.aml.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by fusion71au on 20 September 2014 - 06:48 PM in OSx86 10.9 (Mavericks)
Please confirm: Your motherboard is a GA-EX58-UD4P rev1 BIOS F13?

(CONFIRMED: YES.)    

If so, after you install a bootloader (Chameleon) onto your hard drive) and FakeSMC.kext into /System/Library/Extensions, you'll need
    •    a patched DSDT.aml and SMBIOS matched to your hardware (placed in /Extra if using Chameleon, in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched for Clover) for proper power management/USB/sleep function etc.
I recommend MaciASL for DSDT patching. A MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 SMBIOS definition looks appropriate for your hardware....
    •    patched AppleRTC.kext to prevent BIOS/CMOS reset

Any further suggestion's there? It sounds like from what has been said here that I need to edit my DSDT file, but to what? What value am I looking for and what shall I change it too?

Other than that I am now in the pre-clone phase, consolidating my current 10.6.8 drive, copying all the boot procedures and files I learned of and tested in this thread so I can reinstall without incident.

Thanks

OK, ran Mavericks for the last couple of days, pretty stable. One problem remains, it kills the bios settings on reboot.

Any further suggestion's there? It sounds like from what has been said here that I need to edit my DSDT file, but to what? What value am I looking for and what shall I change it too?

Other than that I am now in the pre-clone phase, consolidating my current 10.6.8 drive, copying all the boot procedures and files I learned of and tested in this thread so I can reinstall without incident.

Thanks

http://netkas.org/?p=114

He's Ba-aack.  :-)

OK, have not solved the last discussed challenge yet of resetting bios, working on that. This post is about the next step I am on and asking for suggestions on that, to whit.

I have been backing up and cloning. I cloned my 10.6.8 drive to a new drive then I reinstalled Mavericks on that drive. Now I Have what I needed to do, all my old files still intact and upgraded system to Mavericks. I still have the first mavericks I did, which I am typing on right now.

I reasoned that, once I had a working bootable disk with 10.6.8 and I installed Mavericks onto that drive, I could simply drag and replace folders or items from my working Mavericks drive (now bootable) to my newly upgraded 10.6.8 --> Mavericks drive, follow?

I tried dragging the Extras folder and it only booted to System Failure. Tried moving over the KEXTS, and it gets permanently hung in a spinning wheel wait state (can't finish booting).

Any tips on getting a stable boot again? It's easy enough to wipe that drive and re-clone it, reinstall Mavs and try something different, if that's what I need to do. But it seems that, once I had a working drive   with 10.6.8 and installed Mavericks that instead of running Chameleon I could just drop in Mavericks files that were Chameleon affected and it would be OK.

Was I completely off base in my thinking? Or, is there another file to drag over that I am missing?

One last thing, every time I Have made a drag and drop in this process and before rebooting to test them I always use Disk Utility to repair permissions on the new drive. IS that enough or is there something more I Need to do to ensure the Kexts I have moved (and other files) are properly set up to work once moved?

Much thanks.

NOW TESTING: Dropping new Mavericks install (Non-booting) System folder onto kEXT Utility, open on this working Mavericks drive to see if it can stabilize it.

Tried the old hack terminal script no longer in favor apparently with this community - would not run. Not seeing anything else that will open on this drive that I can point to that drive and to make sure all permissions and KEXTS are set correctly.

What .kext are you copying over? 10.6 system ones are not likely to work on 10.9 same goes for /Extra .kext good chance those are not the idea either. What you really need to do here is get your system installed with a basic 10.9 then get the updated for 10.9 .kext you may need in your /Extra. Copying over the data from the old install is fine migration assistant should be able to help you there but don't be surprised when you see that programs you used on the old do not work on the new as 10.9 is 64bit only 10.6 was hybrid 32/64 bit system.

NO, that's not what I was saying. I now have three working drives, think of it this way, Drive one I will call "Alpha", drive two I will call "Charlie", drive three I will call "Bravo". 

• Alpha: Alpha is my test Mavericks installation from earlier in this thread. I wiped it clean before I installed Mavericks on it, it has no old 10.6.8 files on it.
  • Bravo: Bravo is my stable bootable old main 10.6.8 drive.
  • Charlie: Charlie is going to be my new stable bootable running Mavericks, fully upgrading my old working software licenses, etc. That drive has Mavericks installed on it, but instead of restarting and finishing the install in a normal Chameleon fashion, I reasoned that I could just take my folders pertaining to the chameleon installation that was already working in my working (Alpha) Mavericks (clean) installation, and drop them on the newly installed (Charlie) Mavericks upgraded drive.

I already did the following:

1. Cloned my working 10.6.8 (Bravo) to a fresh drive (Charlie) -  (I cloned Bravo to Charlie)
  2. Installed Mavericks onto (Charlie) now with cloned 10.6.8 from Bravo, thereby upgrading Charlie as a working bootable drive now (hopefully) running Mavericks
  3. took what I Could from Alpha that I thought would update the Chamelion boot files on Charlie

I hope that made sense? One thing to point out, in case it matters .... The Working Mavericks install, the one I am taking Extras and KEXTS from, was a clean install of Mavericks. The one I am moving Extras and KEXTS to is a Mavericks upgrade to a 10.6.8 drive. 

Therefore I am taking care to only move in items but not delete items, I figure the installer that upgraded to Mavericks already knew what it was doing and I only needed to finish the job.

Thanks

OK, KEXT Helper did the trick. After I dropped the target Librarty and System folders on it and let it chew on them for a long time, I rebooted and VOILA, it works.

Now, updated to 10.9.5, checking lisences, wondering why Mail is having trouble updating even on iCloud ... No sound yet.

Relativly minor problems compared to how long it took me to get to this point.

Thanks.

Your welcome good to hear you got it going if your board is one of the ones in that era that had working out of the box firewire on it like mine did at that time a Griffin FireWave can give you working 5.1 surround sound, I still use mine to this day great little box..

Problem: Still cannot get sound to work. Tried the Voodoo suggested earlier in this thread. Wondering if this updated drive, formerly with 10.6.8, now Mavericks, has some old KEXTS that I need to either update (replace) or get rid of?

Question, is there a method or app that someone has already put together so that I could read up on the many different KEXTs? It would help a lot if I understood which KEXTs were involved with which processes? For example, Select "sound" and poof, I get a list of all KEXTS involved with sound. Select "network" and poof again, I get a list of all KEXTS involved with ethernet, etc. If any of these KEXTS did more than one thing then they could show up as flagged that way,

How do I sort through al lthe sound related KEXTs to determine which are made formy configuration/hardware chip? For that matter, which is my chip?

Using DPCI manager and looking under PCI List, I think my Audio Controler is 8086. Or is this 8280?

8086, 3A3E, 1458, A102, Intel Corporation, 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller

Is my read correct?

From Insanely Mac KEXT page:
Voodoo
AppleHDA for ALC270
Applehda, alc270
Realtek ALC271X AppleHDA Audio v2.3.7fc3
ALC269, ALC271X, AppleHDA.kext
AppleHDA for ALC889 v265.88
AppleHDA for ALC662 2.5.2fc2
applehda, alc662, mavericks
Realtek ALC885 AppleHDA Audio v2.3.7
Realtek ALC888 AppleHDA Audio v2.3.7