Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 doesn't seem to install from App Store

Aide

22 posts in this topic

I've checked updates on the App Store on Yosemite Beta 3 and I'm constantly getting the following update shown:-

Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2

I've tried to the install the update and it seems to install but when my machine reboots and I go back into App Store updates, it re-appears! If I look in the Updates installed in the Last 30 Days section, it shows that it's been installed. I've tried to install it 3 times now and the same issue persists.

Is there away that I can hide the update?

Thanks in advance

The update is not applicable to our machines as all it does is that it copies a firmware ROM to the ESP. On Macs, Apple EFI reads that file when present and flashes it. As our UEFI implementations of course don't have that behavior, the update is completely useless. Imagine if OS X tried to flash the image by itself: Oops, PC bricked.

Furthermore this update would be useless even if it could be flashed. Did you notice that v1.2 was already offered with Mavericks? It's true. It's the very same update. It's always shown when there is a firmware version set in SMBIOS that is lower than OS X expects it to be (OS X updates include firmware updates from time to time, you know). Find out the new version number and use it in SMBIOS, or wait for a Clover update having the new versions. Personally I don't know the new version numbers (yet), sorry.

• Like 2

Did you notice that v1.2 was already offered with Mavericks? It's true. It's the very same update. It's always shown when there is a firmware version set in SMBIOS that is lower than OS X expects it to be (OS X updates include firmware updates from time to time, you know). Find out the new version number and use it in SMBIOS, or wait for a Clover update having the new versions. Personally I don't know the new version numbers (yet), sorry.

Is it possible that this can happen, also, when the firmware version is higher than expected (meaning that firmware version changes made by a developer preview version of Yosemite might not be recognized by the App Store when checking for available updates)?

EDIT - After fiddling with my SMBIOS and making sure that I was using the right SMBIOS to match what Apple shows is the model for my serial number, and making sure that my SMC Version and Boot ROM Version matched the numbers in this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1237

I still cannot get the firmware update to hide from the updates list.  I did, however, get it to "install" as seen in the screen shot below:

post-270804-0-97185200-1411583310_thumb.png

I suspect that this will go away with a future Yosemite update.  In the meantime, it's a pain in the backside that I would prefer to be rid of.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@FrDakota

How do you put the latest firmware revision in Mavericks SMBIOS?

Well I just updated the firmware version in the SMBIOS.

In my SMBIOS I had:

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>MM61.88Z.0106.B03.1211161202</string>

I just replaced by:

<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MM61.88Z.0106.B04.1309191433</string>

That removed the update for Mavericks but not for Yosemite, so there was certainly something else to correct.

I successfully hid the Thunderbolt update 1.2 under Yosemite.

To do that use the softwareupdate command (no need to do a sudo).

Because putting the latest firmware revision in SMBIOS worked for Mavericks but not for Yosemite.

Finally, a working solution! Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Because putting the latest firmware revision in SMBIOS worked for Mavericks but not for Yosemite.

Thanks, this worked for me, it was driving me nuts!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...