trouble with my graphic card on Leopard 10.5.1

maylleraise

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody,

First of all thanks for the great job you do guys!

I learn great things about computers here:)

I wanted to know if someone knows about a kind of kext installer that could allow me to install kext for my OSX. I'm dealing with an old version, a 10.5.1 leopard and i just want to keep it that way. I don't want to update my computer (too much softwares working ok on it, i don't want to re-install everything).

My computer didn't want to boot since a few days...

I saw on many forums that the trouble should be my graphic card that was unabeling my system to start.

My MB is an old ASUS P5W Dh Deluxe and 3 days ago my Graphic card failed ( a poor PNY on PCI express). It's now tottally broken.

I had those 1 long beep then 3 shorts beeps sounding each time i wanted to boot... ;)

Then i tried to instal a MSI Radeon 5450  i bought recently for another config and it worked at the first boot:))))

But....

i'm affraid i can't go further than 1080/768 resolution.

That's why i searched the web for kext installers that could be operating on my old system (once again it's a leopard 10.5.1) but for the moment i did'nt succed in finding one.

Does someone know if there are still some kext installer that could be ok for me?All installers i saw are developped for new versions of the OS...

For the moment i only can open a movie with quicktime, (not with vlc for example, it says that my system does not support open gl). And when i open it with quick time, the sound is ok but the image is kind of freezing time by time.

I have to tell that this is the first time i'm getting in OS on PC (my station has been given to me by an old friend) so it's real new for me:) I'm not in computers as well, but i like to discover and to improve my understanding in things ;)

Many thanks for your ideas or answers that should help me to get my Mac back!

Peace

B

Hi Artur!

Thanks for the reply. Just to be sure , you mean there are no other graphic card that deal with Leopard 10.5.1 version , only the 5450? Your advice is to go further with my OS and get to  the 10.6.4 version?I'm asking you this because i don't want to do this all my softs are running on my old version and it's ok for me like this.

Actually, my card which was dead on my Hackintosh was a PNY GEFORCE 7300 GS, DDP2 256MB and i don't find something equivalent on the web, excepted maybe on Ebay with chinese cards around 30 dollars...I tried with the 5450 i have on another PC but i would like to have to complete operating card if there is one today that could run under my old OS...

For example , I wonder if an ASUS Nvidia GE Force 210 could be ok for my Hackintosh, as far as my MB is an ASUS too;) Maybe the old Kext i have is ok for this kind of graphic card?

Please let me know what you think about it:)

Many thanks and have a good day!

Peace

hello

the 210 i don't know .. i'm more a ati man ..

about the ati .. i'm sure .. leopard don't exist that graphics card model..

only have some support when apple launch the ati5000controller .. and that only in snow leopard .. like i say before .. i think in 10.6.4 or after..

but i think u gona have same problem with 210 ..

u must know .. apple develop mac os x for mac .. i don't know if leopard time .. any mac use that type of nvidia card .. if don't  the os x .. don't have any support for them..

good hack

hi Artur, thanks for your quick reply. I understand what you say. Maybe my last try would be to check if someone sell an old PNY card;))))

Or i will use my OS only with my 5450 and won't be abble to watch movies, only using my Hackintosh to work on my professionnal softwares (music : Live 8 and Logic Pro).

Or i will update my config to OS 10.6.4, but as i told before, i'm not a pro , so i have to learn a lot about how to install the OS before beginning :)))

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Maybe i would try buying a 30 dollars chinese card based on the old GEforce and see what happens. It's not a big deal, so....

If you know a good topic about how to update the MB ASUS i have to get le OS 10.6.4, feel free to let me know.;)

Thanks again and have a good hack too:)

Peace

ps: by the way, i saw you're coming from Portugal. i went to Porto and Lisbonne in vacations and really dig your country ! Very friendly and welcoming, helpful and smily people! Thanks Portugal ;)))