GeForce 9800 GT 1024mb Black Screen Issue

Mr. Cabana

6 posts in this topic

I'm trying to re-enter the mac world after a few years away and I am facing again an old issue I couldn't find a fix back in Lion.

The problem is with my Zotac GeForce 9800 GT 1024mb ( mobo -> DVI | VGA | HDMI ). It works fine with graphics acceleration and all by simple GraphicsEnabler=Yes, but if i just plug in the HDMI cable to the card, OS X will freeze. If i shut it down and plug the HDMI cable and turn it back on, it will give me a black screen instead of the login prompt.

My goal is to enable dual display with my monitor by DVI and my TV by HDMI.

I've tried several things so far, there are times the black screen is replaced by a grayish screen, but no mouse pointer and no login prompt. If I connect HDMI alone to the TV, BIOS/Bootloaders messages show up fine, but the same thing happens at OS X login.

I tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes in both Chameleon (2.2svn r2391) and Clover (v2k r2850 and r2890), same results.

Tried DSDT patch from several guides, but I don't know if I did it correctly, because it simply didn't change anything and I can't boot without GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Also tried quite a few NVCAPs and display-cfg, no luck.

I'm triple booting in this machine with OS X Yosemite 10.10 Beta 2, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 14.04.1, so if there's a chance to get proper ROM or NVCAP or whatever from these OSes, I'm good to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my ioreg dump and my patched DSDT:

EDIT: Corrected attachments and added 10de_0614.rom.

DSDT.aml.zip

hello

urs ioreg show u have a macbookpro7,1 ? is not this a desktop ?

anyway that nvidia well know hdmi problems  .. try to use a adapter in dvi .. and see if works

that card is a bit old .. modern nvidia low budget don't have that kind of problems .. like the gt620

good hack

Thank you guys for answering.

Interesting read, specially the first link. Everyone seems to have given up on HDMI over 9800 cards and all the posts that I've been reading are about the card being recognized. It used to be a problem with old versions of OS X, but it works OOB since ML or so with GE=Yes. The only problem lies on HDMI output.

Anyway, I gave it another shot on extracting the ROM from Windows, using GPU-Z, but still no luck. In fact, when I use this .rom, the login window goes white/silvery, not black. That means some video keeps being sent to DVI.

As suggested in the first link, NVCAP Maker gave me 04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000, which I appended to Clover's config.plist.

hello

urs ioreg show u have a macbookpro7,1 ? is not this a desktop ?

anyway that nvidia well know hdmi problems  .. try to use a adapter in dvi .. and see if works

that card is a bit old .. modern nvidia low budget don't have that kind of problems .. like the gt620

good hack

Hehe, yes, it's a desktop. In fact I was messing with settings and ended up leaving MacBook Pro in SMBIOS. I'll roll back to Mac Pro 3,1 and repost ioreg.

I know newer nvidia cards have better compatibility chances with OS X. I'm just curious as to why not even the newer nvidia support that comes with Yosemite won't do such a simple task as dual monitoring with such an old and well known card. Even Linux can do it flawlessly since always.

Back to the HDMI issue, allow me to ask a little question ... Since this card has 3 outputs, shouldn't the DSDT patch provide 3 display devices, instead of just 2? I mean, there should be a "NVDA,Display-C" injection there, no?

I ask that because I've been searching a lot about this specific model and I realize users have different output layouts. While most cards have 2-DVI 1-HDMI or just 2-DVI 1-VGA, mine has 1 of each 3 types. That should affect NVCAP and display_cfg.

EDIT: Files were corrected in the first post.