New Leopard Seed Released

Swad

6 posts in this topic

We heard whispers about this a few hours ago but, thanks to the vagaries of US law, we had to sit on it until someone else broke someone else's NDA. So, without further adieu...

Apple today released a new seed of their upcoming Leopard operating system, build 9A283. It requires a fresh installation, so upgrades aren't possible at the moment. There are also a host of known issues.

New features:

- New Parental Controls preference pane allows you to limit access to the

system and apps, adjust content filters and enforce curfews

- iCal has significant UI changes

- VoiceOver screen reader includes 3D audio cues to indicate the location of

items on the screen.

- Live Previews in the Print Panel

- Preview now supports basic editing

- Audio via the headphone/lineout jack plays at the normal volume again

- Input Method Frameworks have been updated

- Groups and subgroups in AddressBook can be restored with Time Machine  

Spotlight

- Quick Look supports PDF, HTML, Web Archives, Text, QuickTime

movies and sound

- Time Machine snapshots are searchable through Spotlight

iChat

- Spotlight Previews can be streamed in iChat Theater mode

- Replace Background video effect now available

Preview has needed "basic editting" for a LONG time. I'm tempted to try and download this but I just don't have space on my 100 gig drive anymore. Between Boot Camp, Parallels, and the primary OS X Tiger, I'll have 10gig free on a good day.

I've been contemplating a 160GB 5400 RPM drive or a 100 gig 7200 RPM drive. Any suggestions guys?

Get the Hitachi 160GB 5400 rpm. It's faster than the 7200 rpm drives currently available because of the perpendicular recording. HardMac did a swap recently and compared the performance before and after and the 160GB smoked the stock drive in a MacBook Pro. This is my next upgrade, I'm just waiting for the best price to appear. Newegg has it around $195 or so, that's the best I've seen so far.

We now return you to your previous topic, already in progress...

bb

As soon as I hear it confirmed that the headphone jack works on the MacBook, I will download it and document the differences, provided it doesn't get far out of this forum. I am under an NDA, after all.

Actually, I should probably wait until it gets to the general public...