Booting failure from usb flash drive

user987

3 posts in this topic

I have a dell mini 9 running 10.6.7 OSX and have cloned it to a sandisk 2.0 usb flash drive using superduper.

The cloning process finish sucessfully and created a bootable usb drive.

When i try to boot up the net book with the flash drive it say no OS was available.

Is it because the internal HD boot up via sata and the usb does not that it don't see the OS.

If i was to put a new HD into my Dell Mini 9 and now use superduper to copy the flash drive as source and clone to the new internal HD and boot up from internal HD , would it work?

I have seen youtube video where the guy show using superduper to clone he was able to boot up via usb, but the hard drive was in a docking station, so i suspect the sata situation is taken care of by the docking station circuitry.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Try to use CarbonCopyCloner...and remember-reinstall your bootloader after backup finish- on new hdd(backuped)

Hey,

Thanks , i installed the boot loader and it work, i guess the boot portion was not cloned.

I booted up on my mini 9 and a differnent mini 9 and they both worked.

But when i use the clone flash drive on a mini 10, it booted up but when i went to play a video that work on both mini 9s,

Qtimer player could not play, so i use portable vlc which could play but no audio.

I check system preference for sound and found no device was shown.

So what happen? Is the mini 10 configuration different from a mini 9?

How can i fix this situation?