Slow VM, increase RAM or use an external HDD?

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone! this is my first post on the insanelymac forum!

I'm trying to get mavericks running in virtualbox on a lubuntu host. My machine is an intel core i3 laptop with 4gb ram (3.6 usable) and so it struggles a bit. The problem is that even with 2984mb of ram given to the VM (bearing in mind lubuntu only needs a few hundred MB ram to run) it has periods of about 5 minutes where OS X will be unusably slow and even the mouse will only move in small jumps every 2 seconds. Then it will return to normal for 5 minutes and then it will go back to dead slow. This even happens when it's just on the desktop, doing little else.

I'm considering adding more ram to make it 8gb to try and fix this problem, however, my other option is to take the HDD (80gb 5400rpm sata) from my old laptop and attach it via a usb 3 port to my i3 laptop. Then install a proper hackintosh on there (keeping my 4gb ram) instead of running a virtual machine with 8gb. (Btw. don't want to install OS X on my i3 laptop's hard drive because it's not actually mine and I don't want to mess it up).

So which option would you recommend? I could do both but I'd rather just do one.

Thank you!