shutdown troubles - reboots instead

sailor25462

122 posts in this topic

I have upgraded two more units, also with GT 640 card (but other brand) and same motherboard. For those, the simple injection worked oob, so my guess is that my specific (Palit) card was not behaving well. (It also shows 2047MB instead of 2048 now after installing NVDIA web drivers.)

In my case it shows 2047 mb no matter of the driver. Actually I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. It might have something to do with Clover.

Update: is it just me or you can uncheck the nvda_drv=1 if you've got the Nvidia driver installed, with no worries? I unchecked it and everything still works properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading this because I have a shutdown problem as well on a new rig I'm building.

It has GA-Z97M-DS3H, GTX 660 OC, i74790 and some other stuff.

I always use Clover as bootloader but this time it's the first time I have a shutdown issue.

I'll try inject Nvidia and hope that I can still use two screens.

Let you know later. For now thanks for all your work!

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say: thank you so much guys for this thread. I was having the same problem: reboot instead of shutdown, and a dirty reboot too -- "Your system was shut down because of a problem..." Rebooting did the same, and getting the computer up took a minute or so (probably hard drive repair every single time).

GA-Z97N-WIFI, EVGA GT 740, i7 4770s

My problem has been solved by the following combo:

* 10.10.3 Clover

* Acpi: FixShutdown, SlpSmiAtWake -- necessary to ensure sound sleep. (Possibly FixShutdown is redundant, but didn't check. It doesn't break anything in any case.)

* Boot: kext-dev-mode=1, nvda_drv=1

* NO NVIDIA INJECT -- switches the computer to VGA output

* iMac 14,2 build (possibly 14,1 would work too but right now EVERYTHING works including sleep so I am not going to fiddle further) back to 14,1, according to Geekbench it's marginally faster, 0.5% difference, possibly just random. Couldn't resist the temptation to check :)

* and finally the latest Nvidia drivers: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.02f02/WebDriver-346.01.02f02.pkg (works with the latest 10.10.3 incremental update, 02f01.pkg doesn't and it was driving me absolutely insane).

(Oh yeah, apparently my Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 4095 MB ;) )

Edit: New version of nvidia drivers made my BT/WiFi go AWOL. Re-enabling kext-dev-mode=1 was the solution.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say: thank you so much guys for this thread. I was having the same problem: reboot instead of shutdown, and a dirty reboot too -- "Your system was shut down because of a problem..." Rebooting did the same, and getting the computer up took a minute or so (probably hard drive repair every single time).

GA-Z97N-WIFI, EVGA GT 740, i7 4770s

My problem has been solved by the following combo:

* 10.10.3 Clover

* Acpi: FixShutdown, SlpSmiAtWake -- necessary to ensure sound sleep. (Possibly FixShutdown is redundant, but didn't check. It doesn't break anything in any case.)

* Boot: kext-dev-mode=1, nvda_drv=1

* NO NVIDIA INJECT -- switches the computer to VGA output

* iMac 14,2 build (possibly 14,1 would work too but right now EVERYTHING works including sleep so I am not going to fiddle further) back to 14,1, according to Geekbench it's marginally faster, 0.5% difference, possibly just random. Couldn't resist the temptation to check :)

* and finally the latest Nvidia drivers: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.02f02/WebDriver-346.01.02f02.pkg (works with the latest 10.10.3 incremental update, 02f01.pkg doesn't and it was driving me absolutely insane).

(Oh yeah, apparently my Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 4095 MB ;) )

Edit: New version of nvidia drivers made my BT/WiFi go AWOL. Re-enabling kext-dev-mode=1 was the solution.

GTX 260+,use this method fail,seems like driver fail,use usb clover or SSD clover both boot fail even with nvidia inject or without.Have to reinstall Yosemite 10.10.3.

GT 740 use this method driver works.

Seems like my shutdown fail restart stead is not relate to GPU,because I use original DSDT.aml,shutdown fail,use shutdown patch DSDT.aml,shutdown well,it's should be a DSDT problem.

Hi, i have yosemite on a intel DG965WH and i have the same problem but instead of shutting down the screen goes blank forever. None of the qlover fixes affect the shutdown issue... My graphics card is a nvidia gforce 9800gt running with nvenabler. Any chance this is caused by the kext?

Hi, i have yosemite on a intel DG965WH and i have the same problem but instead of shutting down the screen goes blank forever. None of the qlover fixes affect the shutdown issue... My graphics card is a nvidia gforce 9800gt running with nvenabler. Any chance this is caused by the kext?

It has to be a bug in Clover. I have the same problem with Z97-D3H. No matter what I trie it just reboots instead of shutting down.

I use Chameleon for that mobo. I wished it has been solved already. So If you or anyone else have a solution with Clover.... Let us know.

• Like 1

It has to be a bug in Clover. I have the same problem with Z97-D3H. No matter what I trie it just reboots instead of shutting down.

I use Chameleon for that mobo. I wished it has been solved already. So If you or anyone else have a solution with Clover.... Let us know.

Download MaciASL then add PJAlm patch,select fix gigabyte shutdown,this works for my DFI DK P45 T2RS motherboard,also should works for any gigabyte motherboard.

Download MaciASL then add PJAlm patch,select fix gigabyte shutdown,this works for my DFI DK P45 T2RS motherboard,also should works for any gigabyte motherboard.

I will give that a shot but when I remember well I tried already DSDT edits to get rid of this bug. 

I'll let you know!

Thanks for sharing anyway!

• 1 month later...

After 3 days of hard work, this thread had the answer! Installing the Nvidia drivers fixed my issue on a GA-H97M-HD3 with GT-740.

Thank You!  

:w00t:

You're welcome.

Just in case you might run into troubles with El Capitan, like system restarts when it almost finished booting up, and it's doing that at least once, or you can't turn off your computer since it's going into restart instead, try this: add nvda_drv=1 to boot flags, and disable (if you've got it enabled) the proprietary Nvidia driver, for now. It seems to be causing some issues with El Capitan.

If you don't have any of the issues mentioned above with El Capitan, lucky you! :) I did, and this is what I did to fix them.

• Like 1

I will give that a shot but when I remember well I tried already DSDT edits to get rid of this bug. 

I'll let you know!

Thanks for sharing anyway!

Sorry I'm lying,maybe you cannot get rid of this bug,in fact I use ACPI Patcher to patch DSDT get rid of black screen and shutdown troubles - reboots instead.

Sorry I'm lying,maybe you cannot get rid of this bug,in fact I use ACPI Patcher to patch DSDT get rid of black screen and shutdown troubles - reboots instead.

Well it seems that changing SMBios from iMac 14,2 to MacPro 3,1 solved my problem. I don't understand why but it works just fine.

So I use Clover and no DSDT at all.

• Like 1

Well it seems that changing SMBios from iMac 14,2 to MacPro 3,1 solved my problem. I don't understand why but it works just fine.

Sorry I'm lying again.ACPI Patcher only patch HPET and Local0 which solved crash and black screen.Shutdown problem can be solved by DSDT Editor Patch Shutdown Gigabyte.txt for me DFI DK P45 T2RS PLUS.MacPro 3.1 is default by chameleon without SMBIOS.plist for me,seems like it's good.

Shutdown Gigabyte

# Change method _PTS where Arg0 is 0x05 (shutdown)
#
into method label _PTS code_regex (If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\n)(?:[^\n\}]+\n)+(\s*\}) replace_matched
begin
%1
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
%2
end;
into method label \_PTS code_regex (If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\n)(?:[^\n\}]+\n)+(\s*\}) replace_matched
begin
%1
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
%2
end;
into definitionblock code_regex . code_regex_not OperationRegion\s*\(PMRS insert
begin
OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)\n
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)\n
{\n
        ,   4, \n
    SLPE,   1\n
}
end

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this Edkroket :-) After updating to El Capitan I had this restart instead problem, and I'm not good at Clover and NVIDIA things, after reading your post I've just added this to config.plist

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
</dict>

and problem gone :-) now just one issue left unsolved, 'USB Devices Disabled - Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices.' I don't know what device does it disable because all my USB devices are working fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was again playing around with the settings and - tattooer - I found one setup which has caused a proper shutdown (twice now).

Check this out:

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
			<key>SlpSmiAtWake</key>
			<true/>
			<key>SuspendOverride</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>EnableC6</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>

as well as 

<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>HighCurrent</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>

Basically I added the 

FIX_S3D_2000000

FixDarwin_0002

FixFirewire_0800 (I have a firewire card inserted, so I thought it might help as well)

and finally the USB

FixOwnership

I'm pretty sure that not all of them are necessary, but will try to sort out by taking each away and see what happens over the time.

Let me know if this changes anything on your setup!

Edit: Removed the S3D fix and ended up with reboot again. Re-applied S3d and it's shutting down properly. 

YES,shut down in fact is SLPE problem,S3D resolving some Sleep/Wake problems by correcting _S3D methods.

No the link I w referring to is in here:-)

Starts after shutdown or so. Can't copy the link with iOS :-(

The comment there was that hwmonitor is shipped with its own fakesmc?

My successful number of shutdowns is limited. All of a sudden it's rebooting again, persistently.

So here's the link:

Automatically starting up after shutdown

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299493-automatically-starting-up-after-shutdown/?do=findComment&comment=2069934

Now that worked :-)

With S3D and Shutdown dsdt fixed the shutdown problem.

For the person that had a black screen when using inject nvidia, here is my suggestion. Extract your dsdt from the clover menu, then boot with nvidia injection enabled and extract it with maciasl (I think you can extract the patched dsdt from the clover menu as well iirc). Compare the 2 and find out what exactly clover is injecting in regards to the graphics. Add that to your unmodified dsdt and then you can probably change it so that all your video ports will work. It's probably missing one or slightly incorrect or something.

No,inject nvidia is not inject DSDT,and I check DSDT with your method and find nothing.

• 1 month later...

Finally I find how to shutdown,it's DSDT problem.in
Method (\_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
OSTP ()
there is
If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
{
Store (ESMI, Local0)
And (Local0, 0xFB, Local0)
Store (Local0, ESMI)
Store (Arg0, Local0)
SALD (Local0)
}
replace with
If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
{
Store (Zero, TRAP)
Sleep (0x10)
}
and shutdown works.

credit: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/223205-dsdt-editor-and-patcher/?p=1931410

• 4 months later...

Hi I know this post is kind of old but I tried all stuff here and still don't manage to make it work...

What I know so far, I need the Firewire PCIe (StarTech) for my audio purposes and it works just fine on windows and just fine on mac, but when it is installed on mac the reboot thingy happens, When Fixshutdown is enabled it reboots right after shutting down but the firewire card is not detected this time, and when its not enabled the computer shuts down but when I move the mouse or enter something via USB it boots and firewire is not there either I'd need to powerbutton shutdown then it would work again...

Also with some options I get problems when restarting, the firewire not getting recognized or just black screen not posting even the BIOS, I need to force shutdown with powerbutton again… and If I remove the firewire B*tch all goes back to normal… I'm starting to think the best option would be to get rid of the goddamned firewire… but there's gotta be a solution… this other option would mean to lose money.

So my question is what can I do to fix this, to have a proper shutdown and then everything booting back up again being all detected and cool?

PS: My rig is ASROCK Z97 Extreme 3 with an i7 4790K, and i run Intel HD4600 and the GTX1070 for pc and waiting for proper drivers to be released.

One more thing the DSDT stuff I don't understand how it works, if somebody could explain how to make this DSDT thing to work, theoretically I don't need any DSDT file with this motherboard to be compatible so i never worried much about it…

Hi I know this post is kind of old but I tried all stuff here and still don't manage to make it work...

What I know so far, I need the Firewire PCIe (StarTech) for my audio purposes and it works just fine on windows and just fine on mac, but when it is installed on mac the reboot thingy happens, When Fixshutdown is enabled it reboots right after shutting down but the firewire card is not detected this time, and when its not enabled the computer shuts down but when I move the mouse or enter something via USB it boots and firewire is not there either I'd need to powerbutton shutdown then it would work again...

Also with some options I get problems when restarting, the firewire not getting recognized or just black screen not posting even the BIOS, I need to force shutdown with powerbutton again… and If I remove the firewire B*tch all goes back to normal… I'm starting to think the best option would be to get rid of the goddamned firewire… but there's gotta be a solution… this other option would mean to lose money.

So my question is what can I do to fix this, to have a proper shutdown and then everything booting back up again being all detected and cool?

PS: My rig is ASROCK Z97 Extreme 3 with an i7 4790K, and i run Intel HD4600 and the GTX1070 for pc and waiting for proper drivers to be released.

One more thing the DSDT stuff I don't understand how it works, if somebody could explain how to make this DSDT thing to work, theoretically I don't need any DSDT file with this motherboard to be compatible so i never worried much about it…

I had the same with Firewire PCI card.

I changed SMBIOS and it was gone. Also check your BIOS setting. I also remember settings with USB settings in BIOS to fix these issues.

In my case none of the Clover edits of DSDT worked. All my systems run without DSDT.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...