shutdown troubles - reboots instead

sailor25462

122 posts in this topic

For whatever reason, after my terminal shutdown, the regular shutdown did not only work well once, but twice now. After the startup, just opened safari, closed it down again (completely) and initiated the shutdown via gui.

I'll follow this over the next days, if it remains "stable", I'm a happy person ...

Still I wouldn't understand how a terminal shutdown could make such an immediate change in behavior?

For whatever reason, after my terminal shutdown, the regular shutdown did not only work well once, but twice now. After the startup, just opened safari, closed it down again (completely) and initiated the shutdown via gui.

I'll follow this over the next days, if it remains "stable", I'm a happy person ...

Still I wouldn't understand how a terminal shutdown could make such an immediate change in behavior?

It's not the terminal shutdown. I had reboots before, even when shutting down from the terminal. So I don't think that's it. Also, I'm pretty sure when you press the Shut Down button on that pop-up window, the system does exactly the same thing: runs the same command in the background.

As I said before, it doesn't have much to do with the way you shut down your computer, but apparently it does have to do with the way you shut down the apps (especially third party apps, for which Apple offers no support). And yeah, it seems that once you "straight up" the shutdown cycles, if you don't do anything crazy to mess things up again, you should be fine for future shutdowns, as well.

I'll keep an eye out for things like app closing (again, especially third party ones) in the next couple of days. :D

But yeah....so far so good. :)

Update: 8 in a row. :D

So, finally after another few successful shutdowns, today I had to scan some documents using the digital pics app, sent the pics as attachment with Apple mail. So actually no third party apps used.

However, this time the shutdown did not go well, just reboot again.

Nothing was changed, only Apple apps used.

Whatever causes this is not predictable :-)

So, finally after another few successful shutdowns, today I had to scan some documents using the digital pics app, sent the pics as attachment with Apple mail. So actually no third party apps used.

However, this time the shutdown did not go well, just reboot again.

Nothing was changed, only Apple apps used.

Whatever causes this is not predictable :-)

I got 9 successful shutdowns so far.... But yeah, I didn't try that...yet. Weren't there any third party apps running in background at the time? I'm just saying.

I can't scan anything cause I don't have a scanner, but I can try to send some pictures via Apple's Mail app and see if that makes any difference. The Mail app was opened each time, for each test. And i did receive mails on it. I didn't try to send a picture yet. But i will and let you know if it makes any difference.

It's a {censored}ed up issue, that's for sure. And it is pretty hard to predict, you're right. But maybe we find a pattern to this so we will know what to do, or what NOT to do, to get a successful shutdown every time.

Update:

So far, 11 shutdowns with no issues.

1. Started up my computer

2. Opened up Opera

3. Opened up Mail

4. Composed a new mail with a picture attached to it (sent it to on of my other email addresses)

5. Received and read the mail with the picture.

6. Closed the Mail app (from the X)

7. Closed Opera (from the X)

8. Shut down computer. All fine. Shutdown successful.

9. Started up computer

10. Opened up Opera

11. Opened up Mail

13. Opened up App Store and checked for system updates

14. Closed Opera

15. Closed Mail

That was with PB5.

16. Downloaded and installed the PB6 update

17. Restarted (automatically to complete installation)

18. Opened up Opera

19. Opened up Mail (checked mail)

20. Closed Opera (from the X)

21. Closed Mail (from the X)

22. Shut down computer. All fine. Shutdown successful.

That's with PB6.

Now I started up my computer again and opened up Opera to write this to you....

Not sure what to say, man... It seems pretty stable to me, so far. But it is weird that, for you, from time to time, you get restart instead of complete shutdown.

What I can say is maybe to pay attention to all the apps you open and when you close them, make sure you do it from the X. I have no other idea.

I read in a similar thread (with other solution though) some interesting comments about RTC patch, CMOS reset and even a possible issue with FakeSMC.kext shipped with hwmonitor (which I have actually installed).

(Can't post the link here from the iPad, don't know why)

Should be worth to have a deeper look at, no?

I read in a similar thread (with other solution though) some interesting comments about RTC patch, CMOS reset and even a possible issue with FakeSMC.kext shipped with hwmonitor (which I have actually installed).

(Can't post the link here from the iPad, don't know why)

Should be worth to have a deeper look at, no?

Sure. Well, I actually updated my FakeSMC.kext a while ago. But since then, I still experienced reboots. So even though it might have fixed/improved a few things, I don't think it actually did much for the reboot issue we're discussing here. Might be worth a shot though.

On another note, since last time we talked, I had only successful shutdowns. About 16 of them so far.

If you're trying to post a link from "the other big forum we don't speak about here", then no, you can't post those kind of links.

• Like 1

No the link I w referring to is in here:-)

Starts after shutdown or so. Can't copy the link with iOS :-(

The comment there was that hwmonitor is shipped with its own fakesmc?

My successful number of shutdowns is limited. All of a sudden it's rebooting again, persistently.

So here's the link:

Automatically starting up after shutdown

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299493-automatically-starting-up-after-shutdown/?do=findComment&comment=2069934

Now that worked :-)

• Like 2

No the link I w referring to is in here:-)

Starts after shutdown or so. Can't copy the link with iOS :-(

The comment there was that hwmonitor is shipped with its own fakesmc?

My successful number of shutdowns is limited. All of a sudden it's rebooting again, persistently.

Automatically starting up after shutdown

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299493-automatically-starting-up-after-shutdown/?do=findComment&comment=2069934

Now that worked :-)

It's true. It is included with HWSensors. You just need to unpack that pkg and extract the kext from there. About that method....I don't know. I'll give it a try if I get into that issue again. So far it's working great for me. No reboots anymore. :D

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing.

Since I have hwmonitor and subsequently also hwsensors installed, I wonder if this may have some impact ? Do you have installed? Which version of hwsensors do you use?

Update: and which fakesmc?

I only got the FakeSMC.kext from the HWSensors suite. And it's version 6.11.1328.

For as far as I know, HWMonitor is included into HWSensors, not the other way around. :P But anyway, that's irrelevant right now. I didn't install the whole suite. Still not sure I will use those things (other than the FakeSMC of course). If you can find any value in installing the whole thing, please, do share. :)

Now I think I may have found something:

I took a video from the shutdown process in verbose mode and actually it seems the shutdown breaks at a certain points to initiate the reboot, before the usual steps are all completed.

This pic relates to a complete shutdown:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CRu8caF5RwQ3RsYkViTnh2djg/view?usp=sharing

An incomplete shutdown, i.e. a reboot will initiate right after this screen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CRu8caF5RweWZOWjM2eGd1bGM/view?usp=sharing 

Now I think I may have found something:

I took a video from the shutdown process in verbose mode and actually it seems the shutdown breaks at a certain points to initiate the reboot, before the usual steps are all completed.

This pic relates to a complete shutdown:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CRu8caF5RwQ3RsYkViTnh2djg/view?usp=sharing

An incomplete shutdown, i.e. a reboot will initiate right after this screen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CRu8caF5RweWZOWjM2eGd1bGM/view?usp=sharing 

That is interesting.... Well, what's more interesting is that it doesn't actually successfully unmount /home and /net in neither one of the two cases.  And even so, it looks like it gets stumbled upon some keyboard stuff, for some reason.

What I can tell you is that I got about 20 successful shutdowns in a row. And then I forgot to close Chrome the right way, and it went into reboot again, when trying to shut it down. After restart, I started Chrome again, closed it up from the X, switched off the computer, and it went into a complete shutdown. To me, that's a pretty solid conclusion. I just wish that Opera for Mac would have the Bookmarks sync feature, like the Windows version does. It kinda sucks not to be able to access all my bookmarks. But anyway...as I said, to me, that's a pretty solid conclusion. No other changes made.

Yeah, well what can I say... This happens even with chrome not being started at all.

As for the unmount I wondered myself, but didn't pay much attention to this so far.

I think I'll try to not use the Bluetooth with the Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard, but ordinary sub stuff. I wonder if this will make any difference.

Alternatively I should consider to make a plain fresh install on one of my spare drives.

Yeah, well what can I say... This happens even with chrome not being started at all.

As for the unmount I wondered myself, but didn't pay much attention to this so far.

I think I'll try to not use the Bluetooth with the Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard, but ordinary sub stuff. I wonder if this will make any difference.

Alternatively I should consider to make a plain fresh install on one of my spare drives.

Well, I've got a Logitech wireless keyboard and USB mouse (initially, it was a keyboard + mouse combo but for some reason, the mouse part of the combo doesn't work with Yosemite, while it works just fine with Mavericks, so I bought a separate wired USB mouse). In my particular case, it seems that Chrome is the only thing that's creating issues. In your case...it might be the mouse or keyboard... I don't know. You could make a fresh install, that's right. But...since I didn't make a fresh install, and I got this issue sorted out on my end, I'm not sure a fresh install will help. But at least it shouldn't cause any more issues. So I say go for it and let me know how it goes.

But before that, if you've got like a regular USB mouse and keyboard to try this thing, try and reproduce this issue with those. Maybe you don't need a fresh install after all.

OK, tested with USB mouse and keyboard, unplugged bluetooth dongle. Still reboots :-(

So that was actually a dead end road.

I've got an idea. But you're not gonna like it. :)) How about you try uninstalling Chrome completely, for a quick test?

Also, you know what's weird? In Clover config, I haven't even got the FixShutdown option checked.

Here's a list of the fixes I've got checked in there (though I honestly don't think it's gonna make any difference for you):

• AddDTGP
  • FixHDA
  • FixLAN
  • FIxAirport
  • FixUSB
  • FixSATA
  • FixSUSB
  • FixDarwin

That's all. And I feel like I could have removed some of these too. But anyway, FixShutdown is not checked.

Question: do you have dual-boot with another operating system? Could you try booting up in the other OSes and just shut them all down properly?

Also, if you're dual-booting with Windows 8 (probably with Windows 7 as well), I think you should go into power management options and make sure your HDD shuts down completely when you shut down your computer. Maybe that's something else that's causing you issues.

I know I've had this kind of issues before with Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Since Mac OS is based on Unix, just like Linux, maybe it reacts the same way...? I don't know... But you said you've got some successful shutdowns as well, right? Were they made after restarting Windows, on another partition or something? What I learned in dual-booting is that it's always best to shutdown, rather than reboot. Especially when Windows is involved. I've got no issues shutting down Windows on its own. But I did have issues shutting down Ubuntu. So..who knows, maybe it applies here as well.

Removed Chrome, did a few restarts, but that didn't actually do the trick. Occasionally I had no better behaviour even after a few reboots.

Now, what I did now was to "simply" reload my default Bios UEFI settings, charged again to AHCI and switched off VT-d and startet.

At first I noticed some slight changes in the boot screen. If you do not auto login, when it switches to GUI and before you see the user accounts to choose from, you have a little loading line (same as during the initial boot).

Before, this was at my lower left corner (which I always found strange), but now it was positioned (correctly) centred.

But what's even more important: The next shutdown went smooth!

I checked a couple of cycles now, still all fine. Cross fingers it keeps going.

It also seems that my hibernation is back, another issue I had, but did not link to my shutdown issue, yet.

So after all it may have been just a BIOS issue?

• Like 1

Removed Chrome, did a few restarts, but that didn't actually do the trick. Occasionally I had no better behaviour even after a few reboots.

Now, what I did now was to "simply" reload my default Bios UEFI settings, charged again to AHCI and switched off VT-d and startet.

At first I noticed some slight changes in the boot screen. If you do not auto login, when it switches to GUI and before you see the user accounts to choose from, you have a little loading line (same as during the initial boot).

Before, this was at my lower left corner (which I always found strange), but now it was positioned (correctly) centred.

But what's even more important: The next shutdown went smooth!

I checked a couple of cycles now, still all fine. Cross fingers it keeps going.

It also seems that my hibernation is back, another issue I had, but did not link to my shutdown issue, yet.

So after all it may have been just a BIOS issue?

Short answer: no. :)) MY reboot issue is back now. How about that?

Also, I too have that weird loading bar on the left corner of my screen (starting with PB4 or something...). And resetting default BIOS settings didn't change that in any way...unfortunately. Also, I've got no logo for the second stage boot.

Oh my.... That's bad news!

Yesterday, after re activating the internal graphics for AirPlay, it also switched back. I had to reload bios settings and just changed the AHCI and VT-d. Nothing else. Then it was back fine again.

But I agree, this seems to be not the ultimate root cause or fix.

I am thinking if this may have a link to the CMOS reset?

Interesting that you seem to have the same graphical finding now though.

Oh my.... That's bad news!

Yesterday, after re activating the internal graphics for AirPlay, it also switched back. I had to reload bios settings and just changed the AHCI and VT-d. Nothing else. Then it was back fine again.

But I agree, this seems to be not the ultimate root cause or fix.

I am thinking if this may have a link to the CMOS reset?

Interesting that you seem to have the same graphical finding now though.

Not sure, man... For as far as I could see, that issue was happening in Snow Leopard, on BIOS motherboards. But we're using UEFI motherboards nowadays. And also, if it were that....how come Mavericks doesn't have this issue?

And yes, the loading bar on the bottom left corner is ugly... And it wasn't there from the beginning. So..I have no idea how to fix it.

There is a thread opened for that (actually for the second stage boot logo, but we're discussing this as well) here.

By the way, I made a clean install of Yosemite. And the reboot issue was there from the very beginning. 

Update: Aaaand we're back to successful shutdowns...after tinkering a little bit on the Clover config stuff. I'm not sure that had any effect. So if you want, I will share with you the things that I changed. BUT it still might not have any effect on your system. I'm not even sure that's what it fixed it...for now. So, if you want to know, I'll tell you. But keep in mind that it's not something I can guarantee for.

Ok, so no sense in doing a fresh install then...

I'll have look into the mentioned threads :-)

Do you have the internal graphics active or not? My uefi settings is auto so it's probably switched off and also the AirPlay icon is not present at the top bar.

I agree this is specifically new with Yosemite, however I wonder why nobody else seems to have this issue? We don't even have the same boards. The whole things is also so unpredictable that it's impossible to see any system behind it. Makes digging a real pain.

We may want to check if it makes any difference with chameleon, maybe we can pin it down to something clover specific?

Ok, so sense in doing a fresh install then...

I'll have look into the mentioned threads :-)

Do you have the internal graphics active or not? My uefi settings is auto so it's probably switched off and also the AirPlay icon is not present at the top bar.

I agree this is specifically new with Yosemite, however I wonder why nobody else seems to have this issue? We don't even have the same boards. The whole things is also so unpredictable that it's impossible to see any system behind it. Makes digging a real pain.

We may want to check if it makes any difference with chameleon, maybe we can pin it down to something clover specific?

The iGPU is off. But I had the same issue even when it was On.  So I don't think it's related to that. But if you're not using it anyway, you might as well turn it off.

About Chameleon, if I would have a spare HDD or something to try this on, I would love to do that. Unfortunately I don't... And that would require a fresh install on a clean HDD/SSD, since you're replacing the bootloader. And I litertally just reinstalled Yosemite... :)) So...I don't think I'm gonna be able to try that.

Update: can you try something for me? Try to mount the EFI partition using Clover Configurator, for example, and then shut down your computer. Let me know if it goes into shutdown or reboot.

I'll try it on one my boys' hacks. They run mav on chameleon. I'll update it and see what happens.

When I updated my box from chameleon to clover, I didn't have to do a fresh install though.

What really sucks with chameleon is the audio kext. And of course with clover it's easier to get iMessage activated.

But for checking the reboot, it should be worth a try.

Btw, which CMOS related fixes did you apply yet?

I'll try it on one my boys' hacks. They run mav on chameleon. I'll update it and see what happens.

When I updated my box from chameleon to clover, I didn't have to do a fresh install though.

What really sucks with chameleon is the audio kext. And of course with clover it's easier to get iMessage activated.

But for checking the reboot, it should be worth a try.

Btw, which CMOS related fixes did you apply yet?

Well AppleRTC was always checked in Clover config... I didn't try any dsdt patches or something cause I don't know how to edit a dsdt. Didn't need to do that since now.

Anyway...what video injection patches do you have in Clover (if any)? I used to have Inject Intel (even though I don't use the iGPU), just because it was causing less troubles with Mavericks (my Mavericks doesn't boot if I inject nVidia, whereas Yosemite has no troubles). After that, I asked on the Clover forum and someone told me that series 6 and 7 from nVidia actually don't need any kind of injection (which would solve my Mavericks issue). Now I tried to inject Nvidia (no Inject Intel, nothing else checked in there), and...I don't wanna speak too soon, but this might fix the reboot issue as well (at least it did in my case, temporarily). Still trying... But if you find yourself in a similar situation and wanna try what I did, please do. And let me know how that went.

Chameleon is ok...it was actually the first bootloader I tried since I started "hackintoshing". And the audio worked beautifully (with toleda's kext, which comes with M u l t i Beast). If you're using VoodooHDA, that's gonna suck, indeed. But with toleda's kext, I was pretty satisfied with the results. Problem is, if the kext itself is not updated (because M u l t i Beast is not updated), you'll have no audio and you'll have to manually replace the patched kext with a more updated one. Whereas with Clover patching method, you don't need to worry about that, since it doesn't touch any kexts in S/L/E. I feel like the Chameleon  + M u l t i Beast option is more suitable for beginners since it's more idiotproof, but the better choice, which, truth be told, does require some learning, at least in my opinion, is Clover. It offers A LOT more freedom to modify whatever the hell you want from it. 

And you're also right about iMessage. There are some things you can do in that case, as well. But again, I feel like Clover's approach on this is cleaner and better.

On Yosemite C3 I was having this shutdown issue, system was restarting instead of shutting down, finally solved it, in my case it was 'RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext' in 'Clover/kexts/10.10', I was using old version of this kext, after updating this shutdown issue solved, now system restart and shutdown properly.