NEW BUILD - 9A283

brown2hornet

52 posts in this topic

It is to ADC...

To the rest of the world, silence.

Odds are that these builds are infected with the Developer IDs as was done in the previous ADC Releases.

WWDC Builds in the past have not had this protection measure due to their mass physical duplication for distribution.

When the files are being sent electronically, it is easy to imbed a few hidden strings of text at the end of some files making sure that if a build is leaked, then Apple knows from whom, when, where and so on.

Indeed.

This thread should be reserved for discussion of the new build. Requests for copies aren't necessary, clog up the discussion, and also aren't really effective when you think about it. :2cents:

[Thread cleaned]

i doubt we'll get another leak until it's like...a month or 2 before the release. tiger was like that if i remember...there was the WWDC build, and then nothing until a month or so before release...then the releases almost came weekly until the final appeared a fortnight before the release date.

^^ how i remember it...was probably a very bad recollection

i doubt we'll get another leak until it's like...a month or 2 before the release. tiger was like that if i remember...there was the WWDC build, and then nothing until a month or so before release...then the releases almost came weekly until the final appeared a fortnight before the release date.

^^ how i remember it...was probably a very bad recollection

Hmmm I recall a lot of leaks, the last one of wich was later confirmed to be the Gold Master - but it was the last of a very log series of leaks...

Yep, the only way to find out would be for someone to personally buy multiple ADC subscriptions and then do a diff on all the files.

Then, they could get a baseline for which files have the Developer IDs imbedded (asuming that Apple is still doing that, although they were as of the Tiger previews) as well as where they are located. Then, they could be cleared out with some random garbage and hope that there is not a function checking whether the IDs are "valid" according to an equation of which keys are issued by Apple in this batch of previews.

In turn, it would cost someone $1000 plus a bunch of time for something that Apple could just as easily replace with some other form of protection entirely.

For example, they could begin imbedding a static assignment to the Kernel that queries several of the files to see if they contain some random string against a hardcoded variable written by the server hosting the images.

Or, they could always go to some kind of Token Constraint system, at which point if you wanted to boot any OS Developer Preview, you would need to have a USB Token, or go with some kind of activation+checkin scheme like Microsoft's.

Either way, the more creative we get at trying to hack it, the more creative and mildly upsetting their new protections will become.

Remember, people, we are talking about Apple. Not NASA or NSA. And we are talking about an interim development build.

There are supposedly "Top Secret" features in Leopard, probably reserved for the later builds before GM, but, come on...stop this {censored} about "Apple embedding some kind of protection" or whatever.

Think Secret has 9A283. So I say it is only a matter of time it trickles down to general torrent sites. And I am pretty sure some private trackers already HAVE 9A283.

Uh, ajb01, you cant.

First off, the act of distributing any Pre-Release builds is illegal.

Secondly, why go for a Pre-Release Tiger build? I mean Tiger has been a public release for the past 18 months.

If you really want to find Apple Pre-Release OSes, try looking on IRC, Usenet, or Torrents. Most FTP servers or websites hosting are shut down pretty quick.

(Grr, why was my account "Kazuran" deleted?)

Anyways, on our new big cat friend, it's leaked as well. Not a long time till we will see it on TPB, I think. Runs smoothly. I think someone's screwed, as this version most certainly has ADC id's embedded.