iPod OS X

lostsoftware

44 posts in this topic

Sounds good, but not really feasible. It's prolly better for you to waste your time with hacking hardware that would eventually yield something useful. It's a novel idea, but I doubt everyone'll run to their iPods, erase everything, and try booting OSX in 25mins just to see it works. If it was me, I'd return its music functions 5mins after recording it working on video and bragging to my friends about it. The XBOX mod sounds like a better project to pursue, better to do it after warranty expires :) Much easier to code on similar hardware the OS runs on originally than to disassemble PPC/Intel code for use with ARM that has virtually no multimedia acceleration.

My 2cents.

• 4 months later...

wel instead of running osx on an ipod how bout the REAL osx on the iphone. wouldnt it be cool to use a REAL dock and REAL programs on your iphone? i mean its completely feasable seeing as the processor is right and the iphone has all the drivers in it. so theoretically we would be able to take the kexts or whatever ti uses. SO ... whos gunna crack it and let us make it a REAL OSXphone

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Well....its not a stupid idea, but no, it wont work. And never will unless apple releases an iPod with at least a 800mhz processor in it and at least 256 mb or ram. Which, i dont know why you would need that power for a portable music player, but w/e.

The iPod touch has a 473 Mhz ARM CPU... It would still be hard as heck....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's MUCH easier to build a hackintosh and VNC that. Just hide the tower, and no keyboard mouse or screen. Just like a server. Ignore the hardware, but use at as you want. Dang. I might have to try that now!

• 2 months later...

An ipod could run a very stripped down version of OSX, however they do not (and with good reason)

as i recall, rockbox and ipodlinux were both horribly slow.

The ipod touch runs a heavily stripped down version of OSX over a half-functional ARM version of Darwin (which you could jailbreak and expand to a version with full BSD subsystem) and that is as close as we're going to get to running OSX on it.

The user interface is WAY too heavy to run on that little ARM processor.

It would be slow, it would stutter and eat up your battery in minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't get flammed by this comment, but would it be possible to install OSX on an ipod, but to use it as a bootable external hard drive? I have an old ipod that's replaced by my iPhone. It would be cool to bring this back out into the sunlight and make it used for something other than gathering dust.

I hope I don't get flammed by this comment, but would it be possible to install OSX on an ipod, but to use it as a bootable external hard drive? I have an old ipod that's replaced by my iPhone. It would be cool to bring this back out into the sunlight and make it used for something other than gathering dust.

If you wish to destroy your iPod, yes. Use GParted or some partitioning utility to completely wipe it and put one huge FAT32 partition on. Then in OSX's Disk Utility, change it to HFS+. I dunno, I never tried it, mostly because I value my iPod :rolleyes:

If you wish to destroy your iPod, yes. Use GParted or some partitioning utility to completely wipe it and put one huge FAT32 partition on. Then in OSX's Disk Utility, change it to HFS+. I dunno, I never tried it, mostly because I value my iPod :(

I don't mind. My ipod is a 10gb I had for years. It's done its time.

But even so, how would this "destroy" it. Wouldn't all you have to do is resync it to itunes and all the stuff will be restored? or do you have to format it first. What is an ipod's native format?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...