Sound stutter

Nikorag1990

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Firstly I apologise as this is a repost, I already posted in audio issues VoodooHDA board but received no response and have since ruled that out as the cause. Ive recently installed Mavericks on my PC using Niresh and the method detailed here and have got everything working except for the sound. My setup is as follows:

Mainboard: GA-78LMTS2P

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1050T - HexCore 1.8GHz

GFx: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series from XFX - 2GB

The chameleon boot flags I need to use to boot OSX are:

GraphicsEnabler=No npci-0x3000

I have tried the following:

• Disable HPET in bios
  • sudo yes > /dev/null
  • Use A2DP and bluetooth speakers (medium success)
  • Use USB sound card
  • Reinstall Mavericks
  • set busratio as a bootflag

Im running out of options for what seems like such a mundane issue. Judging by the frequency of the stutters and the impartiality to the hardware I use Ive put this down to a timing issue in either the clock of my CPU or something else. does ANYONE have any pointers on this as its driving me crazy getting this last tiny bit to work. I really appreciate ANY input on this.

example videos of the effect:

Speakers

Bluetooth

Thanks!!

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Topic moved to AMD subsection where it belongs

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/240542-guide-getting-your-busratio/

EDIT

sorry, reading fail...you already did that..

But you're on the right track, sound stuttering almost always indicate that there's some kind of timing issue. Especially when it also affects USB sound, which is normally plug and play, no modifications required. Then you know that it's not particular to your on board sound or VoodooHDA.

Look: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/libsaio/smbios.c

Try setting SMexternalclock, SMmaximalclock and SMoemcpubusspeed in your smbios.plist as well.

Note, you must be using a fairly recent Chameleon 2.2 svn version for these flags to work.

You can also try these DSDT edits:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

The first thing you should do after extracting and decompiling your DSDT is to try to compile it. If there are errors, you'll need to fix those before you make any other changes, until it compiles without errors. This is a very boring process. Each error will have an error code, google those codes to find possible fixes for them. You can ignore "warnings" and "remarks" to begin with (of course if they're really easy to fix, just fix them). After attempting to fix each error, try to compile. If it compiles successfully, tackle the next error. Otherwise you'll quickly lose track of what you're doing.

Don't copy and paste any code into your DSDT. Edit the code that's there - it's very easy to break the syntax/formatting, which can sometimes cause compiler errors that can be difficult to track down.

Anyway - at first don't do anything else except removing the forced IRQs. This will allow OS X to distribute IRQs as it sees fit, this can eliminate sound stuttering.

While you work on it, name the patched DSDT "test.aml" and load it at the Chameleon boot prompt like this: DSDT=test.aml

Once you're satisfied with it, name it dsdt.aml so that Chameleon will load it automatically.

Use IORegistryExplorer or IOJones to track your changes.

We have a dedicated DSDT section where you can ask for help here.

Hi!

Thanks for replying. I had seen a topic you wrote in reply to someone having a similar issue with similar responses but could no figure out a) If they applied to me or B) what to do.

For starts I forgot to mention I have tried adjusting the bitrate in the midi settings with no luck. I have looked very briefly into settings SMexternalclockSMmaximalclock and SMoemcpubusspeed however I cannot find what these values should be. I presume their names are self explanatory and I can find this information in CPU-Z under windows yes? As for my busratio as my cpu is a 1.8GHz i assume 16 is the correct busratio? (1800 / 113)

Ive used maciASL and edited the DSDT removing the IRQNoFlags () {x} lines from HPET PIC and TMR however I cannot find RTC0 and when I compile it and save it as /Extra/test.aml and use the bootflag DSDT=test.aml I dont believe it loads as I am unable to find HPET under acpi/_SB/PCI0/LPC0 where it appears in the DSDT.

Thank you so much for your help so far and thanks in advance for any more you provide.

Cheers!

Yes, adjusting bitrate will not help because your problem is not related to sound. Sound stuttering is a symptom of a problem that lies somewhere else.

SMmaximalclock is your max CPU speed, in MHz. SMoemcpubusspeed is your bus frequency, also in MHz.

SMexternalclock is also the bus frequency. I'm not sure what the difference is between those two flags.

1800/113 = 15,930 = 16, yes. But 113 seems odd as external clock...are you sure that's correct? Then again, I have no experience with AMD CPUs.

The RTC device can have a different name, or maybe it isn't there at all? I don't know if this is normal on AMD boards..

Anyway, if it isn't there, then it isn't hogging an IRQ right? So that's not bad. Maybe search through your DSDT for "IRQNoFlags" and see if there are other forced IRQs in there.

I don't know why your DSDT isn't loading... dumb question...did you place it in /Extra..?

I don't know if this has changed, but it used to be that the HPET was only used by the OS X CPU powermanagement subsystem - which you have deactivated because of your CPU. So it's possible that AppleHPET.kext doesn't even load on your Hack. This could explain why you don't see it. Try looking for some of the other devices and see if they have a different IRQ than the one that was forced in your unmodified DSDT. If they do, then you did something right :D

Did you also set your fsb? There's fsb=xxx and also as Gringo said SMexternalclock...

I don't know what the difference is but fsb=xxx is the one I see everyone using for AMD. Also you may want to try VoodooTSCSync and see if that helps.