Guide ASUS N53SM_Clover

anerik70

75 posts in this topic

EDIT:

Have you installed the aDummyHDA.kext properly (you should take it from post 19)? You must use something like KextWizard

Nope, I'll try it today!

I warn you that in these days I have some exams at the university so it'll take some time for me to patch them. Maybe a couple of days.

I wish you good luck, man! Get not "Excellent" but "Amazing" marks!)))) If it needs you can tell your professors that micsha called you worldwide man!

• Like 1

Only to be sure....you didn't touch the original AppleHDA.kext, did you?

I mean, after installing El Capitan you didn't try to install the AppleHDA maybe? Because it would be wrong.

If you touched the AppleHDA it won't work because you need the original AppleHDA.kext... So if you "overwrote" or modified in any way the original AppleHDA you must restore the original.

If you did the backup of it you can reinstall it always with KextWizard, otherwise if you don't have the backup of the original you have to reinstall the whole OSX system...

So basically you have:

Original AppleHDA+aDummyHDA.kext+Config.plist injection

Can you upload the config.plist version that you are using please? So that I'll check if the injection is correct...

Maybe also the dsdt.aml in efi\clover\acpi\patched that you are using. You can compress them in a zip.

If this won't work you can try "returning" to the patched AppleHDA method...

• Like 1

No, it is ok if you don't have any AppleHDA.kext in Clover's USB flash drive. The AppleHDA.kext is installed in the system directly by OS X. I was only saying that if you, by any chance, modified it, you must restore the original version, because you need the original AppleHDA to make aDummyHDA work. I don't know, maybe you tried for instance to install a different "AppleHDA" maybe from post 1 or 34 or other, than it is normal that it is not working because you modified the system's AppleHDA.

So I'll assume that you didn't touch the AppleHDA and you didn't overwrite it, otherwise this will be useless...

Try this config.plist instead of yours, as it was before it was wrong because it hadn't the audio layout injection.

Besides...after the installation of aDummyHDA.kext, did you repaired disk permissions and kext caches in KextWizard as shown in the picture below?

PS: be aware that you are using Anerik's memory settings for 14 GB of RAM with 1333Mhz frequency with "Trust" mode enabled too....if you should have any memory error it could be one of the causes unless your machine is exactly like his...

PPS: Moreover I don't understand which dsdt you are using......Mine or Anerik's? You were using Anerik's config.plist so I guess you are using also his DSDT, isn't it? If you post it we can be sure about this too...Post the EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\"patched" folder in a zip, it contains both dsdt and ssdt.

Which processor (CPU) do you have? I7-2630QM or I7-2670QM? I guess the 2670QM is it right?

correctedConfig.plist.zip

post-1537929-0-93725800-1455225498_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi!

Oops, nope - I have Intel i3-2350M 2300Mg (Mac shows CPU right way), RAM is about two cards for 4Gbs (don't know, how MacOS counts RAM size - free or all) and HDD 500Gb.

I used anerik's files for ACPI, kexts and config.plist.

There's my EFI folder - https://www.dropbox.com/s/rleo2lsom22035i/EFI.zip?dl=0 .

P.S.: I will reinstall Mac after getting your files - it's not so long but for sure that it will be reliable to work with mac))

P.P.S.: Man, if it is not so hard, could you send me articles or other texts, which helped you to manipulate with DSDT, config,plist and so on? In PM).
Just because I want to know how to do it - and if I will need it in the future, I'll do it by myself. It's the lucky time, that I met you here - without you it I'm not sure that I installed MacOS))).

And I think, it's the best time to read and ask you why things have to be the way they are)).

Unfortunately today I don't have much time (exams...), meanwhile try replacing your config.plist and dsdt with the ones attached.

According to me, if you have original untouched AppleHDA, if you have installed the aDummyHDA that you have among the kexts in Clover with Kext Wizard, if you repaired the disk permissions and rebuilt kext caches with Kext Wizard as shown in the post above, with this files you should have working audio.

So...

1) Install aDummyHDA in your system with kext wizard as shown in the picture below (Click "browse", select the aDummyHDA in your EFI\CLOVER\Kext\Other and Click "Install")

2) In Kext Wizard repair disk permissions and kext caches as shown in the picture in the post above.

3) Delete the aDummyHDA.kext from EFI\CLOVER\Kext\Other (save its somewhere else if you want, but remove from the Clover usb)

4) Replace your config.plist in EFI\Clover with the one attached in this post

5) Replace your dsdt.aml in EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched with the one attached in this post.

6) Reboot

According to me you should at least see the volume icon as "black" working icon. If it is the case we are "near" the solution...

As soon as I have some time I will send you the guide I followed, but trust me, in this case even though the files maybe are not perfect you should have audio working. According to me you should work to have also the audio working now, when you have it you can really patch your files and reinstall the system clean, but right now the not perfect ACPI files won't make the difference in the audio (except for the injection of audio layout but I fixed it....). The wrong CPU and RAM won't break audio, even because however are have the same "series" (Sandy Bridge) of processor, so it is not as bad as it seems, because probably the power management is almost the same, in fact they are however working....

If the audio doesn't work again after the process above with the files I attached I'll have two other things to try.... 

Can you tell which version of El Capitan you are using? 10.11.3? 10.11.2? Because I can send you the original AppleHDA for them if you maybe have modified it....

As soon as I have time I look for the guide I followed and pm it to you!

New config.plist.zip

DSDT.zip

post-1537929-0-63606700-1455268309_thumb.png

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't know.

According to me you should have working audio also if you don't reinstall the system. When you understand which is the file that does the trick of enabling the audio of course you can "clean" everything by reinstalling OSX.

After the last update to 10.11.3 I had some difficulties in enabling the audio too...

• Like 1

Yeah, it could be used for installation! Sometimes it's reboot itself (maybe error or smth else - I don't know) on loading, but then works without any problems). I tried to install MAcOS 2-3 times - finished successfully! Good job!

Your second config (post#57) better than first (post #55)  - VGA much better, in #55 I felt frequecy of monitor light, second is quite smooth, but quality of picture a lil' bit worse than in Windows. Small photos like a lil' bit smashed. But ok, it's not the main point - we can return later.

Thanks for fixing size of RAM!

About sound - nope, it's grey. 
I also tried VooDooHDA - OMG))). I get sound but Voodoo has linked imput from mic and output - and my ears were bleedin')). Unfortunatelly, I didn't found how can I switch off mic sound.

P.S.: I'll try one more way just to check, have I missed smth.

Ok, even though it seems a bit strange to me that nothing works, we can try one last thing, i.e. revert to the "original" audio patching, that is directly patch the AppleHDA without using the aDummyHDA.

I have patched the AppleHDA as if you were using El Capitan 10.11.3...is this correct? Are you using 10.11.3?

I prepared 4 versions of the files that must work together as a "pack".

Before doing so you must remove the aDummyHDA both from Clover usb (delete from EFI\CLOVER\Kext\Others the aDummyHDA if you still have it) and from the system. To remove from the system you have to browse to "system/library/extensions" (you can go in Finder->Go->Go to Folder or Alt+Shift+G and type "system/library/extensions") and delete the "aDummyHDA".

Once you do this you try "pack 1" here attached:

-install AppleHDA with Kext Wizard (this time when you install enable the option "Backup kexts that will be replaced"

-In Kext Wizard repair disk permissions and rebuilt kext caches as usual

-try using the pack 1 dsdt and config.plist in your Clover usb (the dsdt in ....ACPI\patched) and reboot

If this doesn't work try pack 2:

-try using the pack 2 dsdt and config.plist in your Clover usb (the dsdt in ....ACPI\patched) and reboot

If this doesn't work try pack 3:

-try using the pack 3 dsdt and config.plist in your Clover usb (the dsdt in ....ACPI\patched) and reboot

If this doesn't work try pack 4:
-Install HDAenabler3.kext with KextWizard as usual
-In Kext Wizard repair disk permissions and rebuilt kext caches as usual

-try using the pack 4 dsdt and config.plist in your Clover usb (the dsdt in ....ACPI\patched) and reboot

To be very fair with you after this tests I don't have any other idea, if it still doesn't work you can try ask Anerik for his help, even though I managed to make his aDummyHDA work with my machine that is different, so it's strange that for you it doesn't work..

pack1.zip

pack2.zip

pack3.zip

pack4.zip

• Like 1

jackal992, first pack was the right one!!! Sound and mic work perfectly!!

Thank you!))

So, my final EFI partition here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n1cqi33u4mz1iq/EFI_2.zip?dl=0(use it with jackal992's  AppleHDA from pack #1 in previous post!)

The only question I left is to install bootloader on hdd - just to free my usb flash))). But I think I will find a way!

P.S.: If you have twitter - you can write it in PM, I'll make public appreciation)))

• Like 1

Wow glad to hear that!

For the installation on HDD I don't really know because as I explained to you I made a small partition in fat32 on my hdd where I copied my Clover USB files and I boot from that partition always from the EFI shell, so manually. I chose this way so that Windows boot loader remains the main one and I don't risk breaking it.

If you want to install it so that it starts when you boot the machine I think you have to install some scripts, I read in a guide by RehabMan:

-Installing to the HDD/SSD after installation is very similar to installing to the USB.

-You change the destination of Clover's installation to your target disk

Notes on HDD install:

- you might want "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi", but it would depend on whether native NVRAM works for you

- select "Install RC scripts on target volume" and/or "Install all RC scripts on all other boot volumes"

- selecting "Install Clover Preference Pane" is optional

- there are also some "Optional RC Scripts" you might want to read about

but again I didn't do that so I don't know...of course after the installation of Clover you copy in the "new" Clover's EFI folder the kexts, the acpi patched files and config.plist that work for you.

• Like 1

I chose this way so that Windows boot loader remains the main one and I don't risk breaking it.

Yeah, I know it))). I broke two Windows bootloader (the second I repaired, but that's enough) - I don't want to play with it too)))).

I gonna go your way!

Hi, jackal992!

I have two questions (maybe you can help):

1) Strange issue, but not all FNbuttons works)). Is it normal?

I can switch off screen, but can not change brightness or bump up or down volume.

2) About sound). When I close my notebook, MacOS works, but sound disappear - and only rebooting can return it. Do you have so?

Thanks in advance!

1) I have all the FN keys working. I used the attached kext: "AsusNBFnKeys". You can try to install it with KextWizard and repair permissions and caches as usual.

(Assuming that your brightness works properly, you can try that by going in SystemPreferences\Display and move the slider)

2) I don't have the problem of sound not working after sleep, but you can try to solve it with CodecCommander. Unfortunately I cannot help you with this, I didn't do it!

However here are some useful links:

Guide: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/overview

Download: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads

There should already be a profile for the ALC269. You can try that...

AsusNBFnKeys.kext.zip

• Like 1

USB3 works now, seemed to be a reboot issue. Ethernet is working fine as well, thanks a lot! :) Is there any way to turn off Bluetooth (my button is greyed out)?

interesting..

i just noticed my bluetooth button is also grayed out.

has any one found a way to correct this ?

i notice that on my EFI\CLOVER\OEM\N53SV\KEXT\OTHER\

I have BTFirmwareUploader

am wondering if thats the Bluetooth kext that the machine is using and causing my bluetooth issue.

if i remove the kext or replace it,

do i have to use disktools to fix permissions (or another tool) on the EFI partition, or can i just remove it and reboot ?

thanks

interesting..

i just noticed my bluetooth button is also grayed out.

has any one found a way to correct this ?

i notice that on my EFI\CLOVER\OEM\N53SV\KEXT\OTHER\

I have BTFirmwareUploader

am wondering if thats the Bluetooth kext that the machine is using and causing my bluetooth issue.

if i remove the kext or replace it,

do i have to use disktools to fix permissions (or another tool) on the EFI partition, or can i just remove it and reboot ?

thanks

I use the attached kext to make bluetooth work and my icon is not gray but black. I don't have the "BTFirmwareUploader".

If you install/uninstall kexts from s/l/e I think it won't hurt if you rebuild disk permissions and kext caches, on the contrary many time is needed...

IOath3kfrmwr.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hello jackal! Thanks for your precious help!

i tried to install everything from scratch from one of the latest versions of el capitan, and it doesn't work anymore.

May you please provide both your config.plist configuration for (latest) el capitan and files provided in the EFI folder?

Thanks!!!

mal

EDIT : fighting with clover it seems to work again but it's very unstable, compared to chameleon and old good osx versions...

PS: Is there anyone that is using clover and snow leopard ?  may you please send me some directions to have snow leopard working with clover? Thanks a lot!! i know it's a bit off topic ... sorry for that

• 5 months later...

Hi, i am new to this forum! 

I own a great old N53S and i would like to know if there is any way to install latest Sierra or latest ElCapitan on this great notebook!

Thank you.

EDIT: Any update for n53sm? Sierra? High Sierra? it is a great laptop! thanks!

• 1 year later...

I am attempting to install El Capitan on a ASUS N53SV. I have not been able to get the clover to load at all.

I have created the install disk.

Mounted EFI Partition

copied boot , Cloverx64.efi and shellx64.efi from this thread to EFI Partition

Copied EFI folder from this thread to EFI Partition

changed name of folder at EFI/CLOVER/OEM to N53SV

This will not boot so, I use bios option to boot to efi shell.

I am able to find the EFI folder in the shell but, for some reason I cannot cd into the EFI folder. I get the error Fs0:\EFI\boot is not a directory

Using the attrib command I can confirm the EFI folder has the -d attribute

I have tried many times and even tried creating folders with different name (those I can cd into) It almost seems like a permissions issue?

I tried using a clover installer with the same results.

I am at a loss.

The video links on post #1 are all broken. Can anyone point me to a step by step guide that would be close?

I have resolved this issue.

I believe this results for a missing EFI folder. When I create my El Capitan disk the EFI partition does not have an EFI folder. I didn't think much of this so, I just copied the new folder in. I think the folder was there just not visible somehow.

Here's the fix:

from the efi shell enter your disk ie. FS0:

enter: attrib +a efi

this will corrupt your efi folder

return disk to mac and mount EFI partition. You will see your EFI folder (possibly 2) with black icons.

delete all files on EFI partition - empty trash

EFI folder may appear - delete it and empty trash

Re-copy files onto EFI partition and proceeed.

• 8 months later...