Imessage and facetime Public Beta 2

Agostino9446

126 posts in this topic

do you have Bluetooth, and Wifi?

bluetooth: yes

wifi: no

ethernet: yes -> airplay monitor sharing works and is offered, too.

bluetooth: yes

wifi: no

ethernet: yes -> airplay monitor sharing works and is offered, too.

I just realise it's not a bluetooth 4, which seems to be required acc. to this link: http://www.igeeksblog.com/setup-handoff-on-mac-os-x-yosemite-and-iphone-ipad-on-ios-8/

Bluetooth version 4.0? 2.0?

my current card is a mix card, it's the onboard (Mini-pci-e card) that came with the Z87X-ud5th. 

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card

MAC Address:

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

HBP

Bluetooth version 4.0? 2.0?

my current card is a mix card, it's the onboard card that came with the Z87X-ud5th. 

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card

MAC Address:

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

HBP

That one is bluetooth 4 !

without ether Wifi, or BT 4.0 that Toggle probably will not show up, but is Still enabled. let me do some poking around and see if I can find the command line setting that it triggers for those that don't meet the requirements of having the GUI toggle. 

HBP

ok, having done allot of research, they pulled that setting for all macs that don't have a Wifi card in DP3, as well as all macs not on the approved list.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6401528?start=45&tstart=0

http://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/2ct7tc/how_to_enable_handoffcontinuity_in_yosemite_on/

Still looking for where in the system that checkbox actually triggers. but it is tied to the Wifi interface. 

HBP

I told them that I have MacPro (generated serial was form clover ccongifurator which is checked with selfsolve.)

They asked me for serial number of machine. After checking they asked me my apple ID and OS X version. First I tell them for 10.10 beta 2. They refuse to help me because the dont support beta products. Then I told them that I have Maverics on other SSD. They accept that an ask me what is the problem. I explained the problem with connection with imessage and facetime. Then they asked me for generated Apple support code (displayed after refused activation). After 10 seconds they asked me to try sign on again. And imessages activates without problem. They told me that my ID is unlocked for my computer. Facetime works too!

They didn't ask me anything about hackintosh.

About Clover configuration:

I have change rom and mlb to 11111.... (Few posts up) in rt variables. SmuUUID is still empty in clover configurator SMBios tab. Still cannot connect. After that I called Apple support.

I tried every solution before but nothing works. probably my ID was locked because many different tries.(different smbios, ROM versions etc.

Apple support is very kind and cooperative with lots of patient :)

You might have had to enter SmUUID as well... I don't know. You might be right. Maybe it's just because of changing many different values.

MLB 1111111111111111

SMUUID 11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111

ROM 111111111111

Also, did you try the first method I posted here? That didn't work for you?

Anyway, so now you only got MLB and ROM set up? I assume you still have the system serial number set up, right?

No, I didn't enter SMUUID - it's blank in Clover configurator. I tried first method. Didn't work. Yes, I have MLB, ROM and valid serial number. Just that.

Thanks. I might have to call support as well, tomorrow morning... I can't login from Mavericks, using the same serials, of course. But I can login from Yosemite, where this worked the first time. :)) Interesting...

Call them, you have nothing to lose.  Post your results :)

I will. Tomorrow morning, since now it's late and they're working 9am-5pm. Also, what's a bit weird is that they are letting me know that the support is in English...though I'm calling the local number for my country. I don't know why exactly is that. I mean it would be really weird and kinda stupid to speak English when both me and the operator are Romanians. :)) But I will see how that goes.

Handoff is part of the Continuity feature (or rather set of features) that Apple introduced with Yosemite and iOS8. The term itself (hand-off) means allowing other parties to take over a certain activity or object. It literally means to hand off/give what you were doing to another device in order to continue the flow. In this case, it means allowing your other Apple devices (be it your iPhone, your iPad or iPod) to take over your activity and give you the possibility to continue what you were doing when switching devices. It allows for a better, more unified experience between Apple devices.

For example:

You are at work and you are in the middle of an important email that you started to write. But you need to go. So in order not to be late to whatever else you might need to be doing after work, you can continue that email, right from where you left off, from you iPhone, or any other iOS 8 compatible devices.

Another example, and I personally like this one a lot (though I won't be able to test it since I only got an iPod Touch 4G, which is not eligible for iOS 8, and also it doesn't have a GSM module anyway), is the ability to answer/make calls from your Mac. And I'm not talking internet calls. I'm talking voice calls, while your iPhone is in the other room.

So this is, in a few words, what Handoff and Continuity in general is all about. Unifying all compatible devices (for now only the ones running iOS 8 and Yosemite) for a more seamless and better experience. In my opinion, if this works as intended, and I think it will, this would be one of the best and most useful features that Apple implemented so far.

If you've got time and if you want more info on this, you can watch the whole keynote on YouTube.

It's pretty long so get yourself a bag of chips. :)

Thanks' for this extensive explanation, but you may have seen already form my previous replies: This was not my problem. I simply couldn't figure out were the "switch" would located. Now I know it's not even there in my case... 

Thanks' for this extensive explanation, but you may have seen already form my previous replies: This was not my problem. I simply couldn't figure out were the "switch" would located. Now I know it's not even there in my case...

Yeah. Don't worry. I thought you were talking about switching devices using the Handoff feature. Some people are confused as for what exactly does it do and how does it work. So I tried to explain it in my own words, as best as I could. Anyway, if it wasn't helpful to you, it might be helpful to someone else. And i don't have that switch either. And i find it quite normal since i don't have a wireless and BT chipset on my desktop system. And even if I had, I don't have an iOS 8 device to test this so to me it would be pretty useless anyway.

Yeah. Don't worry. I thought you were talking about switching devices using the Handoff feature. Some people are confused as for what exactly does it do and how does it work. So I tried to explain it in my own words, as best as I could. Anyway, if it wasn't helpful to you, it might be helpful to someone else. And i don't have that switch either. And i find it quite normal since i don't have a wireless and BT chipset on my desktop system. And even if I had, I don't have an iOS 8 device to test this so to me it would be pretty useless anyway.

But also you don't have to have any iOS8 devices for that to be automatically enabled, as they are trying to test it on the back end. the more macs/computers have it enabled the better redundancy testing they can do. which is why I believe the enabled it by default.

HBP

No, I didn't enter SMUUID - it's blank in Clover configurator. I tried first method. Didn't work. Yes, I have MLB, ROM and valid serial number. Just that.

As i said some computer might not able to inject ROM value via RT variabels, thats why i put smuuid value on clover, and it will overide ROM value and solve it

Same with me. It is a local number but support is in English.

Yeah, so I just finished talking with support representative. The guy was neither british/american or romanian. He sounded spanish or something like that. Anyway, that was NOT as straight forward as I would have expected it to be.

He asked me my name, he asked about my serial number (which was to be expected), he asked me if it's my Mac (I said it's borrowed from a friend and I'm just trying to login into iMessage), but he also asked me for my account security questions (who the {censored} remembers those anyway?!) and, since I got both answers wrong, he asked about my credit card information to verify that I'm the account owner. Fortunately that I got right. After that, I gave him the Customer Code (the one generated in the error pop-up message). After that, he asked me to login to https://appleid.apple.com/ and give him a Temporary Support PIN (in the Password and Security section). After that, he activated my account and I was able to login (from Mavericks). So now I'm good to go. But maaaan, that conversation felt like lasting for ages! I hope I won't need that again.

Yeah, so I just finished talking with support representative. The guy was neither british/american or romanian. He sounded spanish or something like that. Anyway, that was NOT as straight forward as I would have expected it to be.

He asked me my name, he asked about my serial number (which was to be expected), he asked me if it's my Mac (I said it's borrowed from a friend and I'm just trying to login into iMessage), but he also asked me for my account security questions (who the {censored} remembers those anyway?!) and, since I got both answers wrong, he asked about my credit card information to verify that I'm the account owner. Fortunately that I got right. After that, I gave him the Customer Code (the one generated in the error pop-up message). After that, he asked me to login to https://appleid.apple.com/ and give him a Temporary Support PIN (in the Password and Security section). After that, he activated my account and I was able to login (from Mavericks). So now I'm good to go. But maaaan, that conversation felt like lasting for ages! I hope I won't need that again.

Understand you, but more importantly, the problem is solved) Here as lucky, depends on the person. Someone more information and time is needed from you, someone was 2 minutes will do. This is true for almost any kind of support))

Understand you, but more importantly, the problem is solved) Here as lucky, depends on the person. Someone more information and time is needed from you, someone was 2 minutes will do. This is true for almost any kind of support))

You're right. And I just tried to login from Yosemite and that works as well. So yeah...now it's good.

Great for resolving your Issue. I wasn't asked for Apple ID security questions, and login to appleid.apple.com and PIN (???) 

Anyway, case is resolved :)

Hi,

Since many months i was using the same UUID, MLB and ROM, a real serial in MLB and Mac adress of my ethernet hackintosh in ROM.
With Maverick it was working, i never have been able to make it work with Yomite. 

To solve this issu, i used ROM and MLB from my real Macbook pro. -> Hackintosh emulate mac pro 6,1.

Fred

• Like 1

I had previously never had an issue getting both iMessages and FaceTime to eventually work on any of my hacks (though admittedly there were quite a few instances where I had to find and apply the correct fix in order to get them to work) though after updating to the Public Beta 2, nothing that I had tried in the past worked.   Out of desperation, I finally called Apple and had them unlock my ID's.   While that worked for my unsupported real Mac Pro now running the Public Beta 2 and booting with Clover, it did not work for my hackintosh laptop.   Like "Fred' in the post above this one, fortunately I too have a real supported MacBook Pro and the ONLY way I was able to get iMessages/Facetime to work again was by applying this fix.   I ran the imessage_debug tool in OSX terminal on my MacBook Pro and used the values from it and entered the generated info to the config.plist of my hackintosh laptop:

• IOPlatformSerialNumber---->Enter 12 digit SerialNumber key in SMBIOS section of config.plist
  • IOPlatformUUID ----> Enter SmUUID key in SMBIOS section (32 digits separated by dashes ie XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX)
  • ROM: <xxxxxxxx xxxx> ----> Enter 12 digit ROM key in RtVariables section of config.plist (12 digits without the space). Note - I did a direct copy, did not need to convert to Base64
  • MLB: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ----> Enter 17 digit MLB key in RtVariables section and also in BoardSerialNumber SMBIOS key

@KibosJB,

You're in luck if you have an already working Mac :).

Check that the basics on your hack are OK eg ethernet is set to en0, NVRAM is working - refer to @pokenguyen AIO guide.

You can then use El Nono's imessage_debug tool to extract the working serials from your Mac (System Serial Number, SmUUID, MLB & ROM)----> transplant these into your hack ---> profit :).  I've outlined my procedure in post#99.  Also have a look at this thread: iMessage and FaceTime - misbehaving again!

If there are still issues, upload the output from running imessage_debug tool on the hack here (you can hash out some or all the characters from your serials).  If everything is done properly, the output of running the debug tool on the Mac should be the same as when running the debug tool on the hack....

Good Luck!

Just like to update.... I have completed the process, transplanted the values from my working MacBook and it works :D iMessage is now working. Thank you soo much :)

I still have the problem in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300503-icloud-not-working-verify-the-apple-id-password-for

Going to try a re-install and see what happens :)

• Like 1

Just like to update.... I have completed the process, transplanted the values from my working MacBook and it works :D iMessage is now working. Thank you soo much :)

I still have the problem in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300503-icloud-not-working-verify-the-apple-id-password-for

Going to try a re-install and see what happens :)

Have you tried logging out and logging back into iCloud? I'm just saying... It looks like you're neither fully logged in or fully logged out. You're suspended somewhere in between. I've actually never had that problem before. And usually iCloud is the place that I was more often able to log into. I only had problems logging into iMessage. If that fails, a reinstall might indeed solve the problem. You might also try clearing kextcache (don't know if that would actually make any difference but I would try that too, if I were you).

You can do that fairly easily by entering the following commands in Terminal:

sudo -s
[your password]
rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/*

Optionally, you can also repair permissions using this command:

diskutil repairPermissions /

After that, reboot.

The system should automatically recreate its cache on the next reboot.

A bit of a follow up to my post earlier, I was asked why I resorted to the "real mac" clone fix as the reset when calling Apple has worked for most.   As i mentioned after getting off the phone with Apple, the reset did indeed fix my real unsupported Mac Pro iMessage/FaceTime issue though not my hackintosh laptop.   Furthermore the very same Apple ID's were working fine on several other supported Macs we have around the house also running the latest Public Beta 2.    Also all is not perfect since applying the clone fix to my hackintosh laptop.    While both iMessage and Factime are operating as they should, I am having a weird issue when attempting to access the preference tab in the iMessage app.   Basically I have no preferences and when the tab sometimes opens, it does not appear visually like it would normally.   Rather, none of the text is legible and although I believe it to be gibberish, what does appear resembles the arabic language in a way.    Reinstalling Public Beta 2 and repairing permissions has no effect.

A bit of a follow up to my post earlier, I was asked why I resorted to the "real mac" clone fix as the reset when calling Apple has worked for most. As i mentioned after getting off the phone with Apple, the reset did indeed fix my real unsupported Mac Pro iMessage/FaceTime issue though not my hackintosh laptop. Furthermore the very same Apple ID's were working fine on several other supported Macs we have around the house also running the latest Public Beta 2. Also all is not perfect since applying the clone fix to my hackintosh laptop. While both iMessage and Factime are operating as they should, I am having a weird issue when attempting to access the preference tab in the iMessage app. Basically I have no preferences and when the tab sometimes opens, it does not appear visually like it would normally. Rather, none of the text is legible and although I believe it to be gibberish, what does appear resembles the arabic language in a way. Reinstalling Public Beta 2 and repairing permissions has no effect.

This is weird. Could you upload a screenshot of that?

You know what they say. A picture is worth a thousand words. At least that's what they say in my country. :)