X58a-UD3R & Mavericks : garbled sound problems ?

Renegade

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I'm sharing this information for X58a-UD3R users, hoping that it could help someone.

Since mavericks installation last year, my rig (X58a-UD3R with latest BIOS FH, I7-950, dual HD7950) had garbled audio and sound cutoff .

Switching from patched HDA to VoodooHDA didn't help. I got used to it and tought it would be fixed with Yosemite... :rolleyes:

Recently, my rig crashed while exiting sleep mode, so badly that after a few reboot attemps, the system displayed a text message explaining that the mobo was reverting to backup BIOS due to main BIOS corruption :surprised:

The backup version was so old that I couldn't boot using Clover anymore, so I had to flash a more recent one.

Integrated flashing utility (Q-Flash) doesn't allow a >1MB BIOS, so I chose the very last one smaller than 1MB : version FF

The system got bootable again using Clover and to my great surprise, the audio problems are gone.

The problem with BIOS version FH (latest) is that it adds "Dolby Home Theater PCEEv4 support". I think it should be avoided.

It may be possible to fix the issue using a DSDT patch, but it's far beyond my knowledge :lol: .

I'll give a try to BIOS version FG1 (second to last) once I reboot to Windows, but for now, I'm keeping v. FF.

Bye.

Edit 2014/09/11: typo