Ready to give up on Sony Vaio VPCEG16FM

Scott69

55 posts in this topic

Good Day.  I've basically got to the point of pitching in the towel and giving up forever on getting OSX running on my Vaio.  I've built a few Hackintoshes in the past, and never had a project with NO success at all.  And believe me, I've spent significant time, lots of downloads, multiple USB drives, DVDs...

My Vaio has the following specs:

i5-2410M CPU

Intel HD3000 graphics

4GB RAM

Bluray/DVDRW

no bluetooth

640 GB SATA HDD

Intel 6510 WiFi/WiMax (I have a compatible Ralink USB dongle I was going to use)

Unfortunately, the BIOS has only one setting (other than boot order) that can be changed, virtualization...and I've tried with it enabled and disabled.

Now I have attempted to install basically every version from 10.6 to 10.9.  I used the 10.6 retail DVD with both boot CDs and bootable USBs.

Using both USBs and DVDs, I have followed the guides for iAtkos, Niresh, myHack and even tonyMac.  I've used stock images as well as modified USB images where I have added or removed kexts depending on the trouble shooting guides. I've built the USB installers using Windows, Linux and Mac.

As for boot flags, I've tried various combinations of "-v -f -x cpus=1 acpi=off GraphicsEnabler=No ncpi=0x2000 or 0x3000 USBBusFix=Yes". 

In every case, I can't even get the installed to finish booting.  They all, and I mean all stop around the USBMSC identifier line.  Some versions stop at "DMSOS has arrived" or even at the "bluetooth control..." line.  When I research these error/faults, they all point to the Graphics not starting.  The GraphicsEnabler=No has had no effect, and I've even followed advice which recommends removing the AppleIntelHD*.kext files, and even went so far as to remove all graphics related kexts.

In the end, I've never even gotten the installer to load.  I've seen reports of other E-series Sony Vaios having OSX installed, so the BIOS limitations shouldn't be an issue.  I've also seen many reports of i5-2410m CPU-based laptops with Intel HD3000 graphics having OSX installed.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next, or any other method of install, other than buying another laptop with confirmed compatibility.

And help would be appreciated.

First of all, calm down and start over.

A clean, retail install is always the best way to go especially since your hardware is common and well supported.

--------------------------------------------

1- Get your hands on a retail Mavericks DMG and use Apple's tool to create the bootable USB as follows (assuming you have the Install OS X Mavericks.pp in /Applications, and your USB drive is called Untitled)

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

2- Install Clover to that same USB stick, add FakeSMC.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 and see where it goes from there.

That way we'll be able to help you step by step. 

Dr Hurt,

Thanks for the advice.  I will try that when I get home.  Please believe me, I AM calm.  There is no way to deal with these kind of installer problems without being patient.  I've spent almost of month of attempts, and yes I've started over from scratch many times.

Do you have any recommendations for boot flags to try after I get the USB installer built?

Dr Hurt,

Thanks for the advice.  I will try that when I get home.  Please believe me, I AM calm.  There is no way to deal with these kind of installer problems without being patient.  I've spent almost of month of attempts, and yes I've started over from scratch many times.

Do you have any recommendations for boot flags to try after I get the USB installer built?

Initially, nothing.

Just try to boot using Clover's default settings and see where that gets you.

Dr Hurt,

I have done exactly as requested. Stock Mavericks Installer put on USB with Clover.

I tried to boot with no flags and got the grey Apple screen for 20+ minutes. I have rebooted and tried with just -v, -v -x, and -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No.

In each case the installer boot stops at the USBMSC Identifier line. I have included a picture of the screen at those points.

Ideas?

post-539502-0-45949600-1408409048_thumb.jpg

Well, now checking her model is "VPCEH40EB/W"... similar to yours. 

Only one option in bios... (bios "for dummies", i guess)

I got boot instalation, it even recognized wifi as Airport!

So, here are the steps:

Build a yosemite dp1 install (dont know if it works with beta1...) using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298753-boot-usb-os-x-yosemite-chameleon/

hint: If you don´t have a real mac or a working hackintosh, download a virtual machine with os x and attach a usb data traveller to it.

Try to boot the installer... if it doesnt work (i think), copy the Intel HDGraphics (1st gen) kexts to the installation, deleting the old ones.

Use Alternate Frame Buffer - LW1 - VGA+LCD

Intel HDGraphics 1st gen kexts.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/

Use the QECI option.

Well, I tested with a usb data traveler that I built previous for my own laptop, a CCE T23L (Calpella TopStar C45)... and it worked like a charm! :)

Hope that work for you.

I will try to install OS X  to her laptop.

After installation complete I will try to use only the framebuffer provided in the HDGraphics topic, cause her Core i3 have a HD3000 graphics...

Rodrigocunha,

What do,you mean by "Use Alternate Frame Buffer - LW1 - VGA+LCD"?

208-1st-gen-intel-hd-graphics-kexts

Inside this zip you will find the video kexts and you will have to choose one of many framebuffers.

Copy these to /S/L/E:

AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin

AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

Now navigate the folowing folders to copy the right  AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

SINGLELINK

ALTERNATE

LCD + VGA LW1

Inside the last folder you will find the Framebuffer kext (AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext).

Copy it do /System/Library/Extensions

Try a different USB port. Avoid USB 3.0 ports.

Upload your config.plist (in Clover's folder).

The laptop has four USB 2.0 ports and no USB ports.  I have attempted to boot with the USB stick in every one of the ports and there is no change in the results.

I will upload the config.plist once I get home.

As well, I am currently working on both your method and Rodrigocunha's method on separate USB sticks. I have one more "free" USB drive I can use if I get other ideas.

Rodrigocunha,

I attempted your method last night.  Sadly, it didn't get me any further than before, still stopping at the USBMSC line.  From my research, this still highlights that it is likely a graphics issue. 

I reviewed the build process and realized I had used the Development Preview 2, and not the Beta 1.  As the QE/CI kexts you pointed to were for the Beta 1, perhaps they were incompatible.  Therefore, I got Beta 1 late last night and let it install on the USB stick during the night.  This time I will attempt to boot the USB installer without changing the kexts, and then again afterwards with the original kexts backed up and replaced with the ones from the QE/CI tutorial.

I do have to ask a question.  The Intel HD QE/CI tutorial refers to 1st Generation, however the i5-2410m is considered 2nd Generation.  Does this matter as the tutorial gives no mention of anything other than 1st.

Its unlikely that this is a graphics issue. The HD3000 works natively with mavericks even without injection (providing that SMBIOS is set to a sandy bridge model, which I did in the last config.plist). 

I have a Dell N5110 with the same CPU/GPU and it works without any problem.

I think your problem is caused by a buggy BIOS/ACPI.

Try that last config.plist I uploaded and see where it takes you.

Its unlikely that this is a graphics issue. The HD3000 works natively with mavericks even without injection (providing that SMBIOS is set to a sandy bridge model, which I did in the last config.plist).

Sometimes it doesn't work without framebuffer injection (snb-platform-id for mobile: 00 00 01 00). Clover has no ability to inject snb-platform-id, unless you count device-properties (cumbersome).

Also, if the screen has resolution higher than 1366x768, you need to inject dual-link (Clover can do it, or can do with DSDT).

Also, if it is HD3000 on 7-series ("mixed" system), you need to fix the IMEI device-id (can be done with FakeID or DSDT patches).

See patches here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

• Like 1

Rodrigocunha,

I attempted your method last night.  Sadly, it didn't get me any further than before, still stopping at the USBMSC line.  From my research, this still highlights that it is likely a graphics issue. 

I reviewed the build process and realized I had used the Development Preview 2, and not the Beta 1.  As the QE/CI kexts you pointed to were for the Beta 1, perhaps they were incompatible.  Therefore, I got Beta 1 late last night and let it install on the USB stick during the night.  This time I will attempt to boot the USB installer without changing the kexts, and then again afterwards with the original kexts backed up and replaced with the ones from the QE/CI tutorial.

I do have to ask a question.  The Intel HD QE/CI tutorial refers to 1st Generation, however the i5-2410m is considered 2nd Generation.  Does this matter as the tutorial gives no mention of anything other than 1st.

HD3000 really doesn´t need anything more to work.

Don´t forget to set "graphicsenabler" to "yes" in chameleon's config plist.

And doesn´t use a DSDT this time, check if there is any in /Extra and remove it, except if it a MIXED config. In this case, folow the RehabMan hint.

Graphics resolution: 1366x768.

Processor Core i5 2nd gen.

Graphics Processor: Intel HD3000...

https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/VPCEG16FMB_mksp.pdf

HD3000 really doesn´t need anything more to work.

Like I said in post #20, this assertion is false for certain configurations (and I didn't even address desktop HD3000, which needs device-id injection).

• Like 1

Like I said in post #20, this assertion is false for certain configurations (and I didn't even address desktop HD3000, which needs device-id injection).

Yeah, right!

My sister´s note doesn't boot to desktop when I try to use DSDT auto-patched via maciasl (renaming GFX0 to IGP...).

Yosemite boot without this dsdt edit... very strange.

Yeah, right!

My sister´s note doesn't boot to desktop when I try to use DSDT auto-patched via maciasl (renaming GFX0 to IGP...).

Yosemite boot without this dsdt edit... very strange.

Rename GFX0->IGPU is only for IGPU power management. Has nothing to do with snb-platform-id injection, device-id inject, or duallink inject.